Exhaust exit from bumper by 85FieroGT3.4
Started on: 09-07-2007 10:08 PM
Replies: 25
Last post by: 85FieroGT3.4 on 10-04-2007 04:40 PM
85FieroGT3.4

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroGT3.4Send a Private Message to 85FieroGT3.4Direct Link to This Post
I am wondering something:

Is there enough room to have the exhaust/tips exit the car through the side of the bumper?

I have to figure out how to post pics for clarificatoin. I have PIP, but I don't know how to use it yet.

Anyway, what I am imagining is the exhaust tips coming through the side of the bumper. Think of it as a side exit exhaust AFTER the rear wheels. I think that if I bend the pipe right, I could get the exhaust to come through the side of the bumper, but I want it to look like the Corvette C5R.

My inspiration is the RUF Yellowbird. If you have not seen how the exhaust exits, it comes out from under the car at the bottom corner of the rear bumper. I want mine in the side of the bumper, not under it. I would like to have a stainless steel/aluminum ring around the tips to make them stand out/protect against heat.

Are there any better materials that would work AND prevent the side of my bumper from melting?

Bottom line: Is this a feasible idea, or a pipe dream?

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies.

PS: For a photoshop of what I have in mind, go down to the Sep 26 Post.
------------------

[This message has been edited by 85FieroGT3.4 (edited 10-04-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
88 Silver Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Silver FormulaSend a Private Message to 88 Silver FormulaDirect Link to This Post
i know what you mean, its takes a very skilled "piper" i tried to have this done to my 87 plymouth voyager....the exhaust shop odviously did not know what i was talking about and ended up with this

notice how the dumbasses cut slots insteed of round holes and the tips arent even in their slots!!!! idiots!! jeezze!!
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
That part of the rear fascia is just empty space. And the pipes coming out of the stock muffler would be aiming in that general direction if they didn't turn to exit the back. So I think such a mod would be very possible.
85FieroGT3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroGT3.4Send a Private Message to 85FieroGT3.4Direct Link to This Post
This would be something that I would do as much of by myself as I can. I don't think that it would be hard to do, just very time consuming. Possibly, the hardest part would definetly be bending the pipe, but if I have a sudden onset of OCD, as I can from time to time, then I think that I could do it. The next hardest thing to do would be to fit the stainless steel/aluminum insert into the bumper. I think that all that would take is some creative cutting, flexing and patching.
85FieroGT3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroGT3.4Send a Private Message to 85FieroGT3.4Direct Link to This Post

85FieroGT3.4

242 posts
Member since May 2007
@ Blacktree: The only thing that I can think of that would hinder the project is the space in between the bumper and the frame. What is the Spintec exit pipe diameter? 2"? 2.25"? Do you think that I would need to wrap/shield the exhaust pipe to protect the fiberglass?

[This message has been edited by 85FieroGT3.4 (edited 09-07-2007).]

88 Silver Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Silver FormulaSend a Private Message to 88 Silver FormulaDirect Link to This Post
bllaaaaa! no comments on my minivan with duels! lol

[This message has been edited by 88 Silver Formula (edited 09-07-2007).]

85FieroGT3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroGT3.4Send a Private Message to 85FieroGT3.4Direct Link to This Post
@88 Silver Formula: Forgive my inconsideration.

I think that all 1992 Dodge Vans should have duel exhaust! Of Course. I thought that was common knowledge?

Just kidding. I honestly think that they are nice, square holes and all.

------------------

88 Silver Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Silver FormulaSend a Private Message to 88 Silver FormulaDirect Link to This Post
thanks..ehh its an 87 lol....ever get you pip up and going?...i searched under corvette cr5 and the ruf and no pics showed side pipes.
85FieroGT3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroGT3.4Send a Private Message to 85FieroGT3.4Direct Link to This Post
No. I have no idea how to use PIP. The basics are pretty straight forward, but I don't know what I have to do to get it going? I'm sure that someone posted a how-to somewhere.
p8ntman442

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post
I think the hard part of this project would be making the rear fascia look good without the exhaust tips present at the back. What is your plan for the bumper? Are you going to leave it as is?
85FieroGT3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroGT3.4Send a Private Message to 85FieroGT3.4Direct Link to This Post
@P8ntman442:

No, I definetly don't plan on leaving the rear bumper as is when I reroute the exhaust. I plan on doing 1 of 3 things:
1) Fiberglass over the existing cutouts
2) Make them into Porsche style vents somehow
3) Make a rear diffuser using the thread that Blacktree used: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/077457.html

Thats actually really cool. I just opened up Blacktrees thread, and I saw the exhaust style that I want. It is the very first picture of the thread. It is on a Ferrari F 430. I want mine almost exaclty like that, just on the side, and with a Stainless/Aluminum ring around the tips.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
85FieroGT3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroGT3.4Send a Private Message to 85FieroGT3.4Direct Link to This Post

85FieroGT3.4

242 posts
Member since May 2007
Cool. I got the PIP down. That was pretty straight forward.

Here is a pic of the RUF Exhaust

Here is a Mustang GT-R. This is almost what I want. Like I said, I want it in the side of the rear bumper. I want it surrounded by SS/Aluminum approx. 1/4" in width.

And here is the F430 exhaust:
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
85FieroGT3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroGT3.4Send a Private Message to 85FieroGT3.4Direct Link to This Post
@Jake_Dragon:

Kind of. I like your setup. It is really clean. I personally want it to go THROUGH the bumper, not under it, although off on the side is definetly where I want it.

How hard was it to route your exhaust that forward? In that location, that should be coming almost directly off of the Y-pipe, right?
Or did you have to loop it back around the rear of the engine following the stock path on the cradle?
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85FieroGT3.4:

@Jake_Dragon:

Its not mine, kmunson56 built the car. He doesn't get on her much anymore.
Pretty sure its a DOHC 3.4 dumping out the side. I have seen it in person and its a fine example of "just do it"

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 09-08-2007).]

88 Silver Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Silver FormulaSend a Private Message to 88 Silver FormulaDirect Link to This Post
oh well hell i thought you ment a clean flush mount...i dont like any of thoes..nvm i cant even explain what i mean.
85FieroGT3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroGT3.4Send a Private Message to 85FieroGT3.4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:
Its not mine, kmunson56 built the car. He doesn't get on her much anymore.
Pretty sure its a DOHC 3.4 dumping out the side. I have seen it in person and its a fine example of "just do it"

@Jake Dragon: That is a very fine example of "Just Do It." kmunson56 did a really nice job on his car

Originally posted by 88 Silver Formula:
oh well hell i thought you ment a clean flush mount...i dont like any of thoes..nvm i cant even explain what i mean.

@88 Silver Formula: I do mean a clean flush mount. I personally don't like those. With the exception of the RUF (Always a work of art), I think that they look very ricerish, regardless of how much it costs. I think that the flush mounts with a very close gap (1/8" -1/4"). The gap weill require that I make up some new mounts for the exhaust. I think that I need to get very good at welding, since I will need to weld an extension of undetermined length onto what ever pipe I use.
85FieroGT3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroGT3.4Send a Private Message to 85FieroGT3.4Direct Link to This Post
Bumpo for ideaos
88 Silver Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Silver FormulaSend a Private Message to 88 Silver FormulaDirect Link to This Post
. the pics didnt work i see

[This message has been edited by 88 Silver Formula (edited 09-09-2007).]

85FieroGT3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroGT3.4Send a Private Message to 85FieroGT3.4Direct Link to This Post
AHA! I finally found a picture CLOSE to what I want.

This is off of an Audi R8. A really nice looking car. The only thing that I would do is have the exhaust off to the side of the bumper, not out the back. Other than that, it would look exactly like that.

Are the tips really hard to cut? Because with a flushmount, I would need t probably cut the tips to form to the lines of the car.

------------------

88 Silver Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Silver FormulaSend a Private Message to 88 Silver FormulaDirect Link to This Post
so do you want it infront or behind the rear wheel again?
PFF
System Bot
85FieroGT3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroGT3.4Send a Private Message to 85FieroGT3.4Direct Link to This Post
In my vision, it is sitting behind the rear wheel, approx 2/3 of the way up the side of the bumper. I would like it flushmount, like the ones on the Audi, with a SS/Alum. ring around them.

Do you think that the Fiberglass would be able to take the heat of the exhaust tips with a close gap like on the Audi? I know that I will have to have it suspended well so that it doesn't rub against the ring.

Does anyone know of any materials that work better at getting rid of/protecting against heat?
88 Silver Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Silver FormulaSend a Private Message to 88 Silver FormulaDirect Link to This Post
you could try one of thoes thick fatty exhaust tips with the holes in the inside..thoes are cooler to the touch, or stuff alliminum foil between the pipe and the tip..if the tip is decently bigger than the pipe.
85FieroGT3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroGT3.4Send a Private Message to 85FieroGT3.4Direct Link to This Post
I plan on using the Megaphone style tips. I have no exhaust now, so I don't know how much bigger the tip is at the end than the pipe.
85FieroGT3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2007 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroGT3.4Send a Private Message to 85FieroGT3.4Direct Link to This Post
Bumpdate:

I loosely put the rear bumper on today after I finished my suspension, and I really LOOKED at it. It would be very possible to route the exhaust through the bumper. All I will have to do to make it work is do a little trimming. The exhaust routes that way. Right where the last hanger is, I could go and curve the exhaust to exit the bumper. I think that it will be very easy to do, once I get the materials.

Here is a "decent" photoshop. Much better than the picture before.

Just imagine an SS Ring around it. I'll see if I can photochop it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by 85FieroGT3.4 (edited 10-04-2007).]

85FieroGT3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2007 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroGT3.4Send a Private Message to 85FieroGT3.4Direct Link to This Post
I did some measuring today.

From the drivers side hanger to the back of the bumper is 17". That is also the same length as from the passengers side .

Going from the hanger to where I intend the exhaust to exit on the drivers side of the bumper is 17". Going from the hanger to the same spot on the passengers side is approx.11".

So, the conclusion is that I MAY be able to route the exhaust without having to add any pipe. Hopefully I can manage to do this project without ANY cutting.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock