Started on: 09-01-2007 09:17 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: whadeduck on 09-04-2007 06:58 AM
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2007 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

[This message has been edited by whadeduck (edited 02-20-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2007 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Take a look here for Fiero wire locations. Also much info at same site on alarm system installation like the starter kill circuit you mentioned.

edit: Here's another wire list posted by someone on this forum that's more complete:

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 09-02-2007).]

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2007 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Look at your headlight switch - if you supply 12+ to the brown wire, the parking lights and dash lights with illuminate. I THINK the white parking light wire should be connected here.

Look at your dome light by taking down the overhead console - you'll see a white wire (always hot) and an orange wire (which becomes a ground when a door is opened). You can easily verify this with a meter but that's the way my 86SE works. I THINK that when ever you ground the orange wire the dome light will come on. So if your Black / white dome light supervision wire supplies a ground when active, it should be connected to the orange wire. I'm not sure if this will interfere with the Door trigger input that also supplies a ground when the door is opened. I THINK the factory fiero wiring only uses 1 circuit (the orange wire) for the door and dome light, so you might need to use the orange wire for the door trigger and hook up the some light supervision some other way.

Your assumption about the white / blue is correct. This is an optional channel that can be taped and not used.

I don't think you wanna use the red/white wire for the trunk release. You should use a channel (maybe the white / blue wire for that). The trunk release should be connected to a channel that supplies a "pulsed" momentary signal when activated. I used a channel similar to your red / white to turn on my headlights - when I activate this channel, the headlights come on allowing me to see where the car is parked (in a parking lot) at night or shine my way to the front door at night as long as i hold the button down. you MUST be sure about whether the output is supplying a Ground OR 12+ when activated - you can use a relay to re-configure these if necessary.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 09-02-2007).]

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2007 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

[This message has been edited by whadeduck (edited 02-20-2008).]

Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2007 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
PM sent.
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2007 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
i understand your idea of doing everything back at the ECM, but would recommend working under the dash near the steering column and tracing the wires from their sources because the color codes might change. That's why i recommended starting at the overhead console for the dome light / door trigger and the headlight switch. You could also simply unscrew the door jam plunger / switch in the driver's door jam to verify the correct wire. Most people mount the alarm near the dash so that they can mount the shock sensor on the sttering column where it will absorb shock if the car is hit from any direction and also to be near the wires from the steering column and fuse box.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 09-02-2007).]

spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2007 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post

Edit: Just had a thought. Dangerous I know. Can I just cut the yellow wire from the iginition switch and splice one end into the green wire from the kill switch and the other end into the black wire? Also still need to find a wire that's hot only when the key is in the "on" position to hook the yellow wire from the relay into.

That's exactly what you need to do as shown in the diagram below from the link I posted previously. You have to cut the lead to the starter and put the relay normally closed contacts in place of the cut. The "X"'s in the diagram indicate a cut wire. The ignition wire is in the same bundle and can be tapped in to (don't cut the wire, use a Scotchloc or similar to tap into the wire) or, connect the lead at the fuse block. As mentioned above, the alarm unit is usually located near the steering column cause that's close to where most connections are made.

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2007 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Well, the good news is that I got the starter kill relay hooked in and the alrm is working. I'm working on some of the other things now and not having much luck. The parking lights flash like they're supposed to. I had to hook into the brown wire for that. Tried hooking into the white wire and nothing happened. Hooked the door trigger into the white dome light wire. That gets either of the doors to set it off. That works. The alarm is supposed to turn the dome light on when you unlock the doors. Can't seem to get that to work yet. The dome light does flash when the alarm goes off though. Haven't tried the door locks yet but it looks like I'm going to have to use two separate relays for them. Tried to get the trunk popper to work without success. Hooked up the relay as follows: The wire coming from the alarm system is hooked into 85 on the relay and 86 is hooked into a 12v source. I hooked 30 into the black/white wire for the trunk popper and tried it. Nothing. So I'm getting there anyway. I did splice the starter wire to run it back to the area where I'm going to be placing everything. Still works well. Used same gauge wire I took off of another harness I had laying around.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

[This message has been edited by whadeduck (edited 09-03-2007).]

spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2007 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post

Hooked up the relay as follows: The wire coming from the alarm system is hooked into 85 on the relay and 86 is hooked into a 12v source. I hooked 30 into the black/white wire for the trunk popper and tried it. Nothing.

You are missing a connection. Try a jumper from 86 (+12 V always hot) to 87

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2007 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
on my 88, the white dome light wire is always hot - it supplies power to the courtesy lights as well as the map lights. When you open the door, the orange wire goes to ground which turns on the courtesy lights. If you used a hook-up to the white wire, that's cool but is the dome light really supposed to flash when the alarm goes off ? that seems a bit strange to me but maybe that's the way the alarm is supposed to work (?)
spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2007 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post

Black/White Wire: Connect the wire to the optional domelight supervision relay as shown in the following diagram.

Didn't come with the relay, so I suppose I don't do anything with htis wire. But after looking at things. It looks like, if I don't do this, my domelight may not come on when I unlock the doors. It's a nice feature if I can do it.

Green Wire: Door trigger input. Connect the green wire to a wire showing ground when any door is opened.

Ok, which wire do I connect into for this one?

Hooked the door trigger into the white dome light wire. That gets either of the doors to set it off. That works. The alarm is supposed to turn the dome light on when you unlock the doors. Can't seem to get that to work yet. The dome light does flash when the alarm goes off though.

The white wire at the dome light is the same white wire that appears at the door switches (85-88). That lead is both an alarm unit input (detects ground when door is opened - alarm unit green wire) and an alarm unit output (alarm unit grounds lead to turn on dome light - alarm unit black/white wire). Grounding the lead turns on both the courtesy and dome lights. That is apparently more current than the alarm unit can handle so an aux relay is needed for dome/courtesy light control.
PFF
System Bot
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2007 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I must've left that out. Sorry. I did hook a relay to the black/white dome light supervision circuit.

edit: Gave everyone pluses for the help.
------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

[This message has been edited by whadeduck (edited 09-04-2007).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave