Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Is the high side A/C shrader valve replaceable?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Is the high side A/C shrader valve replaceable? by Alex4mula
Started on: 08-30-2007 05:50 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Alex4mula on 09-01-2007 06:56 PM
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2007 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
The shrader valve on the high side port in my A/C is not sealing (i.e. big leak). I tried to use one of those common shrader valve removers but then found out the tip on this one is much bigger and the tool can't get in. Does it require a special tool? Is it replacebale at all? I hope so because it is embeded in a pipe that seems like PITA to replace. Please advice. TIA
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
alex de jorge

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2007 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
yes it is!
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2007 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Ok. Yes it is what? PITA or replaceable? Tks
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2007 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
its a tire valve stem valve
jstricker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2007 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Alex,

To get to the high side valve you need to go to the parts store and get an A/C schrader valve removal tool. The valve is sunk in too deep for the common, tire type schrader valve tool to get in there and screw out. That said, yes it's replaceable.

Ask for a Mastercool 81290 Universal Valve Core Removal/Installation Tool.

John Stricker

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Ok. Yes it is what? PITA or replaceable? Tks

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2007 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jstricker:

Alex,

To get to the high side valve you need to go to the parts store and get an A/C schrader valve removal tool. The valve is sunk in too deep for the common, tire type schrader valve tool to get in there and screw out. That said, yes it's replaceable.

Ask for a Mastercool 81290 Universal Valve Core Removal/Installation Tool.

John Stricker

Erik; I have to say that no it is not a common tire valve stem. I have the tool for that one and the hole in the tip is too small.

John; Looking at the tool picture you posted I guess the common one is like the right side. This one is much bigger so I guess it is the left side that I will need to use. I'll look for that. Thanks a lot :-)
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2007 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

7403 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Found the tool at NAPA. No one else had it. Should have it delivered this afternoon. I need it. It is very hot and humid here! Plus to you

[This message has been edited by Alex4mula (edited 08-31-2007).]

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2007 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Replaced it but still leaks :-( Oh well. The garage was at 100°F and got it to cool to 52°F so I guess it is not that bad.
brandon87gt

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2007 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtDirect Link to This Post
How do you know that its leaking? Can you hear or feel it? Even if its leaking you should be able to more or less seal it off with the cap you put on there unless its really big. The cap you put on should have a rubber oring in it.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2007 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by brandon87gt:

How do you know that its leaking? Can you hear or feel it? Even if its leaking you should be able to more or less seal it off with the cap you put on there unless its really big. The cap you put on should have a rubber oring in it.

Oh yea. Big time. The cap is what is holding it. It was like that before. It leaked to a certain level that still cooled but I wanted it fix. Guess will have to be like that for now.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock