Looking for AC o-ring sizes? by StockGT
Started on: 08-24-2007 02:19 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: spark1 on 08-25-2007 01:44 PM
StockGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2007 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StockGTSend a Private Message to StockGTDirect Link to This Post
Starting work on AC system and I am looking for the o-ring sizes, so I can buy new ones.

I have read on the Forum that the Fiero uses captive and non-captive type o-rings on the AC fittings. In starting to remove fittings, the only type that I have found are non-captive or standard o-rings. Since the AC system does not hold pressure, I am questioning if the o-rings were changed during a prior repair, and the new o-rings were the incorrect size.

The car is a 88 V6 with a HR-6 compressor.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2007 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 08-28-2007).]

StockGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2007 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StockGTSend a Private Message to StockGTDirect Link to This Post
Spark1 - Reading from the chart , the smaller tube at the condenser is a 3/8 inch captive o-ring. When looking at web sites for info, the 3/8 inch or #6 captive has a cross section of 2.62 mm. The existing o-ring measured a cross section of 0.070 inches or about 1.78 mm like a standard o-ring.

What size o-ring do you recommend for the larger tube at the condenser ?
On the car, there was dirt sticking to the condenser by the two fittings (found the leak), so I want to be sure that the o-rings are replaced with the correct sizes.
Thanks for your help.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2007 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Please educate me here. What is the difference between captive and non-captive? How can I tell? TIA
Kekipi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2007 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KekipiSend a Private Message to KekipiDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by StockGT:

Starting work on AC system and I am looking for the o-ring sizes, so I can buy new ones.

I have read on the Forum that the Fiero uses captive and non-captive type o-rings on the AC fittings. In starting to remove fittings, the only type that I have found are non-captive or standard o-rings. Since the AC system does not hold pressure, I am questioning if the o-rings were changed during a prior repair, and the new o-rings were the incorrect size.

The car is a 88 V6 with a HR-6 compressor.

The system does hold pressure. What ever the tempture is, is what the pressure is. Oh I just reread what you wrote, Yes replace all the o-rings. Go on a website and find the part number of all the o-rings or buy a kit for your car or take all of them to a NoAutoPartsAvailable and they will sell you all you need. Just remember dont use refrigerant oil on the o-rings use dielectric greese or motor oil.

Spark1 I just saw your post.

[This message has been edited by Kekipi (edited 08-24-2007).]

StockGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2007 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StockGTSend a Private Message to StockGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Please educate me here. What is the difference between captive and non-captive? How can I tell? TIA

I noticed a few paragraphs about "captured" o-rings in the Factory Service Manual. It did not give the locations on the Fiero. A fitting designed for a captured o-ring uses a groove in the tube to retain the o-ring. The "non-captured" or standard o-ring does not have the groove feature. In looking at the different o-rings for the same tube size, the captured o-ring is thicker or in o-ring talk has a larger cross-section diameter. Comparing two 3/8 inch or #6 o-rings, a capture type has a 2.62 mm cross-section, and the standard is 1.78 mm.

Two GM o-rings

[This message has been edited by StockGT (edited 08-25-2007).]

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2007 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Oh, I see. Thanks! This should has helped a lot when I did the A/C in my SUV but too late. Hope I got them right as I compared the cross section as you mentioned. Thansk again.
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2007 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by StockGT:

Spark1 - Reading from the chart , the smaller tube at the condenser is a 3/8 inch captive o-ring. When looking at web sites for info, the 3/8 inch or #6 captive has a cross section of 2.62 mm. The existing o-ring measured a cross section of 0.070 inches or about 1.78 mm like a standard o-ring.

What size o-ring do you recommend for the larger tube at the condenser ?
On the car, there was dirt sticking to the condenser by the two fittings (found the leak), so I want to be sure that the o-rings are replaced with the correct sizes.
Thanks for your help.

I made the chart a few years ago when converting my 88 to R134a. There were a few errors and some obsolete numbers in the old chart so I fixed those and reposted with the changes.

On your other question:

Condenser Inlet - #8 Male insert 'O' ring
Condenser Outlet - #6 "Special GMC" (11/32-16 threads) male 'O' ring

Info from a now dead link but I think it's correct. Here is some more info from the same source that might be helpful:

#6 Barrier Hose is 5/16" Inside Diameter
#8 Barrier Hose is 13/32" Inside Diameter
#10 Barrier Hose is 1/2" Inside Diameter
#12 Barrier Hose is 5/8" Inside Diameter

#6 Tubing is 3/8" Outside Diameter
#8 Tubing is 1/2" Outside Diameter
#10 Tubing is 5/8" Outside Diameter
#12 Tubing is 3/4" Outside Diameter

#6 Female 'O' ring fitting has 5/8-18 thread (3/4" Wrench)
#8 Female 'O' ring fitting has 3/4-16 thread (7/8" Wrench)
#10 Female 'O' ring fitting has 7/8-14 thread (1-1/16" Wrench)
#12 Female 'O' ring fitting has 1-1/16-14 thread (1-1/4" Wrench)

#6 "Special GMC" male 'O' ring has 11/32-16 threads (11/16 Wrench)
#6 Male 'O' ring fitting has 5/8-18 thread (5/8" Wrench)
#8 Male 'O' ring fitting has 3/4-16 thread (3/4" Wrench)
#10 Male 'O' ring fitting has 7/8-14 thread (7/8" Wrench)
#12 Male 'O' ring fitting has 1-1/16-14 thread (1-1/16" Wrench)

#6 Male insert 'O' ring fitting has 5/8-18 thread (5/8" Wrench)
#8 Male insert 'O' ring fitting has 3/4-16 thread (3/4" Wrench)
#10 Male insert 'O' ring fitting has 7/8-14 thread (7/8" Wrench)
#12 Male insert 'O' ring fitting has 1-1/16-14 thread (1-1/16" Wrench)

Another good source for A/C part numbers is the ACDelco Air Conditioning Parts Catalog There are two catalogs, one for 85 and older and another for 86 and newer. The part numbers are helpful for cross reference if you want to use (cheaper) generic parts.

edit: Also see: Hose & Fittings and O-Rings, Gaskets & Snaprings in the "Pictures/Illustration Guide" at the same URL.

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 11-08-2007).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock