pictures of side scoops-please post yours by shermdizzle
Started on: 08-22-2007 01:03 PM
Replies: 37
Last post by: Jrgicehc on 09-03-2007 01:35 PM
shermdizzle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shermdizzleClick Here to visit shermdizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to shermdizzleDirect Link to This Post
i want to get some side scoops on my car, the only problem is i don't know what kind-if you could please post pictures of yours i would greatly appreciate it-thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
I`ve got these ordered.
The picture doesn`t show but they will have vents with screens
cut into each indention.
This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.
3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
Here is an old photo of mine!

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
I like the Fiero Warehouse scoops:

If you want to see them up close, I'll be at the Schaumburg Alumni Club Car Show on This Sunday.
Here is the info for the show:
http://www.waco4kids.org/images/2007ACCS.pdf

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

ZZ4 Powered !!

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 08-23-2007).]

Winkie

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieDirect Link to This Post
I have the Archie IRP (Integrated Rocker Panels)
GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post

Aussie Stage 2
Thanks Gary
TD37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Direct Link to This Post
I've got the Fiero Warehouse's IMSA scoops on mine. The detail is bad with a black car but they look great, especially on a notchy. FW's quality is some of the best you will ever find for one off custom fiberglass parts too. I'm working on his chin spoiler now.

-Tim

Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

Aus/Fieroshop Stage 2
Marc
Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTDirect Link to This Post
Here are some more stage 2's

bonzo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoDirect Link to This Post
My Archies IRPs

------------------

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Another set of Fiero Warehouse scoops.
I liked them so much that I bought a second set for the red car.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe -soon to be something other than red

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

PFF
System Bot
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post

IRP's
Mike Murphy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post

MY functionl Fiero Warehouse ram air scoops

[This message has been edited by Mike Murphy (edited 08-23-2007).]

shermdizzle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shermdizzleClick Here to visit shermdizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to shermdizzleDirect Link to This Post
mike, do you have any more angles of your car with the scoops on it??
Mike Murphy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
What angles do you want?
shermdizzle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2007 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shermdizzleClick Here to visit shermdizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to shermdizzleDirect Link to This Post
mike, i was looking for more pictures from the side view, just because it was hard to see the depth of that scoop from that angle, if you could post 3 or 4 different pictures, that would be great..thanks
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2007 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Murphy:

Wow! To me, that side scoop looks MUCH better than the stock Fiero side scoop does. I'd like to get that same Fiero Warehouse side scoop and also make it functional, as you stated you did, such that it's drawing cold air into the engine (like the stock side scoop does). Could you or someone share the details of how one accomplishes that? I like the appearance of that Fiero Warehouse's side scoop, but I definitely don't want to sacrifice the functionality of the engine's cold air induction system for appearance's sake.

Unsafe At Any Speed

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 315
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2007 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Unsafe At Any SpeedSend a Private Message to Unsafe At Any SpeedDirect Link to This Post
See the link in my sig for some unfinished Stage 2 pics.

------------------

My Build Thread

Mike Murphy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2007 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
(Wow! To me, that side scoop looks MUCH better than the stock Fiero side scoop does. I'd like to get that same Fiero Warehouse side scoop and also make it functional, as you stated you did, such that it's drawing cold air into the engine (like the stock side scoop does). Could you or someone share the details of how one accomplishes that? I like the appearance of that Fiero Warehouse's side scoop, but I definitely don't want to sacrifice the functionality of the engine's cold air induction system for appearance's sake.)

Easy to do:

Use this to bond it

Paint to match.

Hard part is if you are using the water seporator you will have to remove it and the stock snorkle and install all 3 pieces at the same time and to the air cleaner. ONce it is in place it works fine. I wanted the water seporator on there as these scoops stick out about an inch or more past the body and I knew if I got caught in the rain the big 225's on the front would be throwing a lot of rain that way.

[This message has been edited by Mike Murphy (edited 08-25-2007).]

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2007 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shermdizzle:

mike, i was looking for more pictures from the side view, just because it was hard to see the depth of that scoop from that angle, if you could post 3 or 4 different pictures, that would be great..thanks

The scoops that Mike has are the same ones that I have.
You can see them up-close here:
I'll be at the Schaumburg Alumni Club Car Show on This Sunday.
Here is the info for the show:
http://www.waco4kids.org/images/2007ACCS.pdf

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2007 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

(Wow! To me, that side scoop looks MUCH better than the stock Fiero side scoop does. I'd like to get that same Fiero Warehouse side scoop and also make it functional, as you stated you did, such that it's drawing cold air into the engine (like the stock side scoop does). Could you or someone share the details of how one accomplishes that? I like the appearance of that Fiero Warehouse's side scoop, but I definitely don't want to sacrifice the functionality of the engine's cold air induction system for appearance's sake.)

Easy to do:

Use this to bond it

Paint to match.

Hard part is if you are using the water seporator you will have to remove it and the stock snorkle and install all 3 pieces at the same time and to the air cleaner. ONce it is in place it works fine. I wanted the water seporator on there as these scoops stick out about an inch or more past the body and I knew if I got caught in the rain the big 225's on the front would be throwing a lot of rain that way.

I've heard nothing but praise for the quality of the Fiero Warehouse's side scoops, so thank you for posting these photos showing the stages of your project's construction.

I think somebody who's done this before or someone more well versed in bodywork probably would know EXACTLY what he's looking at in your photos. However, I'm neither, so please bear with my guesses and feel free to correct them, as I've no desire to mislead anyone with my guesses as to what is depicted in the 7 photos posted, but here goes:

Photo # 1: The Fiero Warehouse's driver's side scoop.

Photo # 2: The back side of the Fiero Warehouse's driver's side scoop, shown upside-down, to which a section from the stock Fiero driver's side scoop has been bonded, and which contains the black rubber housing that ordinarily would connect to the Fiero's water separator (from the driver's side).

Photo # 3: The Fiero Warehouse's PASSENGER'S side scoop in the foreground, shown rightside-up, and the stock Fiero DRIVER'S side scoop lying on the floor in the background, but without its black plastic outside air vent. (I've no guess as to what the tan-colored panel standing between them is.)

Photo # 4: The Fiero Warehouse's PASSENGER'S side scoop, shown rightside-up, with the stock Fiero DRIVER'S side scoop bonded to its inside panel.

Photo # 5: The item at the very far left is the Fiero Warehouse's driver's side scoop, standing upright. The two items lying down are two stock Fiero driver's side scoops. The red one at the top is shown upside-down and without the section containing the stock Fiero scoop that has been cut from it. The white one at the bottom is shown rightside-up, but without its black plastic outside air vent.

Photo # 6: The bonding agent used.

Photo # 7: The red section cut out from the stock driver's side Fiero quarter panel shown in Photo # 5, bonded to the back side of the Fiero Warehouse's driver's side scoop, shown standing upright

Does this mean that to make the Fiero Warehouse's DRIVER'S side scoop functional, one needs to cut out and bond just one section of the stock Fiero driver's side quarter panel to the back side of it (i.e., just the section missing from the red panel shown at the top of photo # 5)?
PFF
System Bot
Mike Murphy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2007 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I was in a hurry to get the pics on and did not explain things. The panels standing in the photo are both the left and right side Fiero Warehouse panels finished before painting. Yes the bonding agent is in the 2 part epoxy tubes available from most auto body suppliers. The driver side scoop just need the stock panel trimmed out and bonded to the back. I used the bonding agent and fiberglass cloth.

The passenger side is a little bit harder. Since it did not have a scoop originally on the stock panel you have to take a driver side with the scoop and snorkle and marry it to a closed passenger side panel. I simply trimmed the stock passenger side panel to fit the Fiero Warehouse scoop and then took a stock driver's side and trimmed it down to fit and bonded it in to the stock panel. Once that was done I bonded it to the custom scoop. It feeds air into the engine compartment and keeps it cooler by exiting the rear shaker trunk lid scoop and engine vents.

I would spend the extra money and get the screens and the pre-drilled holes.

[This message has been edited by Mike Murphy (edited 08-26-2007).]

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2007 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Yes the bonding agent is in the 2 part epoxy tubes available from most auto body suppliers. The driver side scoop just need the stock panel trimmed out and bonded to the back. I used the bonding agent and fiberglass cloth.

Thank you for for those clarifications. Finding the bonding agent and the fiberglass cloth, installing the driver's side scoop from the Fiero Warehouse, and in particular, making it functional as you have, certainly seems doable enough based upon your input. Accordingly, I think I'll do the same thing you did, and hopefully the end result will be just as functional and as clean-looking as your installation is.

Separately, I can readily understand an interest in not wanting to personally fool with drilling holes in fiberglass, but what is your thinking behind your recommendation to have the Fiero Warehouse install screens in the side scoops?

I would spend the extra money and get the screens and the pre-drilled holes.

I'm not contesting that recommendation regarding the screens; I just didn't understand the rationale behind it. Even without the screens, I don't see how anything could reach the engine through the Fiero's cold air induction set-up, so are the screens you've recommended that the Fiero Warehouse install strictly an aesthetic (as opposed to a functional) preference that likely would be easier for them to install instead of oneself?
swisscheese

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2007 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for swisscheeseClick Here to visit swisscheese's HomePageSend a Private Message to swisscheeseDirect Link to This Post

Nice write up

I like the look of both versions from Fiero warehouse. hmm...

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2007 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

Before and after Paint

Mike Murphy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2007 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:

I'm not contesting that recommendation regarding the screens; I just didn't understand the rationale behind it. Even without the screens, I don't see how anything could reach the engine through the Fiero's cold air induction set-up, so are the screens you've recommended that the Fiero Warehouse install strictly an aesthetic (as opposed to a functional) preference that likely would be easier for them to install instead of oneself?

I wanted the screens in for a couple of reasons. First I did not want the unfinished inside part of the panel to show and secondly I reasoned that if a bunch of leaves or debris of some sort got sucked into the system it might ge lodged some where between the air cleaner and the intake and I did not want to take the panel all apart again just to clean it out. Murphy's Law applys to me often.
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2007 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

I wanted the screens in for a couple of reasons. First I did not want the unfinished inside part of the panel to show and secondly I reasoned that if a bunch of leaves or debris of some sort got sucked into the system it might ge lodged some where between the air cleaner and the intake and I did not want to take the panel all apart again just to clean it out. Murphy's Law applys to me often.

I suppose one could use a multi-pronged "pick up tool" (a.k.a. that flexible "claw grabby thing") to TRY to retrieve debris from there without taking apart things near the driver's side rear fenderwell, but even with a pick up tool, retrieving debris from that area still might be a pain to accomplish successfully. I don't know how common such a debris problem would be in the first place WITHOUT those screens on the side scoops, but there is for some of us, as you've pointed out, always "Murphy's Law" with which to contend.

Anyway, thanks for that tip regarding the screens you had the Fiero Warehouse install in their side scoops. I hadn't thought of the debris possibility that you'd mentioned.

Incidentally, from the first picture you yourself posted on this thread, painting those screens black as you did seems to me to match the Fiero's side molding quite well, and also provides a nice contrast on a bright red car (which is what mine is as well).

Mike Murphy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2007 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
Must be a shadow from the work light or flash because the screens are unpainted. I thought about painting but did not think it would stick permanently so I left them as they were. I think they look good on a white 88 coupe that used to be underpowered with a 4 cylinder and white.

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2007 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Must be a shadow from the work light or flash because the screens are unpainted.

Mike, I stand corrected then, but from the photo shown below, that screen sure LOOKS like it's been painted black (although I see in revisiting a smaller photo, that you did indeed leave the screen silver):

Anyway, that dark shadow you've mentioned to in regard to the above photo looks almost as good as if you had purposely "photoshopped" the side scoop's screen black!

Mike Murphy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2007 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
The nice thing about when you enclose it and hook it up to the Fiero air intake is that it really makes a nice setup. A large intake area that funnels down toward the back of the scoop into a smaller area which I understand is what you want especially at higher speeds and it is out away from the body. GM actually used a similar scoop in ther early prototypes but they developed problems with every day use by injesting dirty air, mud, dirt etc. and clogging up so they ditched that idea. I can rev the DOHC and put my hand over the scoop and feel the airflow. The passenger side I originally thought I would put an engine oil cooler in that area but decided it really was not necesary so it just flows into the engine compartment but where my battery used to sit is the coil pack so directing cool air to it probably does not hurt either.

Since this car has gone from a daily driver to a garage queen I'm not worried about the clogging up part but more about parking lot damage from car doors and the like. I had parted several Fieros over the years and had been saving the side panels not knowing what they might be good for but when I noticed that the shapes were basically the same as the scoops I begain toying with the idea of cutting them down and using them. Just make sure that you line up the match between the two with a marker before you lay down the bonding agent. This way you get the position of the scoop snorkle in the exact location to line up with the water seperator. I had a couple of extra stock ones around that I could lay over to get just right. I just mixed the bonding agent by hand and spread it then put under my quartz worklamp to heat cure. That activates the stuff and it cures more quickly.

They do stand out very well and the ram air emblems I ordered from Pontiac dealer they were for a Grand Am but look like they were made for the car. I still need to get a blacked out screen for the rear shaker scoop on the decklid and I may have Paul McKibben design a decal for it also. like "DOHC 3.4" for each side of it in black. Similar to what they did with the Trans Am's back in the 70's. If you had not noticed from a seperate post I used TA front fender air extractors from 70's TA for the hood vents.

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2007 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

You showed earlier in this thread that you bonded a section cut from the Fiero's left rear quarter panel (and containing the stock Fiero driver's side scoop, shown above) to the INSIDE of the Fiero Warehouse's side scoop to make it functional, drawing in cold outside air. Do you recall what tool you used to cut that section out from the Fiero's left rear quarter panel? Was it a straightforward task to cut through the Fiero's (Reinforced Reaction Injected Molded) quarter panel?
PFF
System Bot
Mike Murphy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2007 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
I used an pneumatic air sabre saw and it worked for me. You could use a cutoff wheel but I think they generate too much heat and are less acurate.

[This message has been edited by Mike Murphy (edited 09-02-2007).]

ly041181

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2007 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ly041181Send a Private Message to ly041181Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris Hodson:

IRP's

God I want these SOOOO bad I wish they weren't soo expensive!
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2007 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
checkout the ones I made for on in my 87 build post. look at the last pictures as I chnage thme from vert to slanted.

------------------
[IMG]

Trueleo.com/fiero.htm
RSpiderII@aol.com

sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2007 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
My favorite:

Seen at West Coast Fiero. Don't know who it belongs to. Kind of Boxster-ish.
RPYRAZOO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2007 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOODirect Link to This Post
I just installed a pair myself. Just wondering what you plan to do with the original 1/4 panels. I just want mine to go to a good home for a reasonable price.
Jrgicehc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2007 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JrgicehcSend a Private Message to JrgicehcDirect Link to This Post
heres my set of reproduction mecham scoops
Jrgicehc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2007 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JrgicehcSend a Private Message to JrgicehcDirect Link to This Post

Jrgicehc

901 posts
Member since Dec 2006
btw mike I love those trans am fender hood louvers. I used to have a 79 TA and always thought I could use those vents somewhere on the fiero.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock