Started on: 08-20-2007 12:42 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: 3.8 SC on 08-21-2007 10:07 AM
goatnipples2002

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2007 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
I was just wondering if the PURPLE REIGN manual mount kit is all I need to mount the 3800sc properly? I saw some thread about some guy having problems with the mounts and his problem was not using poly mounts just wondering if these are included with the 275 mount kit?

Do I need rodney's mounts?

[This message has been edited by goatnipples2002 (edited 08-20-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2007 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Make your own out of poly stock, or autozone truck trans/engine mounts.

Rodney stuff wont do much for a 3800 swap. Remember that a manual 3800 swap only needs a engine bracket, and stock mounts could be used. I replace the rubber on the stock trans mounts with a solid thicker dodge truck mount rubber, and then I put 2 similar mounts under the motor near the stock location. I space out the motor mounts so they act sorta like a bipod for the motor, and I can usually get away with no dogbone mount.
goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2007 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
Do you have any pictures? Is it like the set up on Fiero Addiction site...using the same mounts? Does the height of the engine mount distort the alignment of the axles?

[This message has been edited by goatnipples2002 (edited 08-20-2007).]

Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2007 06:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
PR mounts are great and save time if you have the money. What you see is what you get. Very heavy duty pieces.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2007 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Make your own out of poly stock, or autozone truck trans/engine mounts.

Rodney stuff wont do much for a 3800 swap. Remember that a manual 3800 swap only needs a engine bracket, and stock mounts could be used. I replace the rubber on the stock trans mounts with a solid thicker dodge truck mount rubber, and then I put 2 similar mounts under the motor near the stock location. I space out the motor mounts so they act sorta like a bipod for the motor, and I can usually get away with no dogbone mount.

Ryan: Rodney sells manual poly trans direct bolt-in mounts that will fit stock or 3800SC projects. They are probably better than stock but having not used them I don't know how much better.
You seem to have many unique economical and good ideas for 3800SC swaps. Why do you get a website up to show off your work like Loyde and Darthfiero (Ryan ) do. I'd bet that you would pick up some swap work if you did.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo- 0-60 5.2 seconds
2006 3800SC Series III swap in progress
Engine Controls, PCM goodies,
re-programming & odd electronics stuff
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2007 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
For manual tranny swaps only need to make an engine mount and use the stock tranny mounts. For auto swaps use the factory mounts from older 4T60E tranny's with two bolt mounts for the craddle there is two types the 4T60E used one type works with our craddles using two bolts and the other uses three mounting bolts. Both types mount to the 4T65E tranny. Then make your own engine mount using the GTP engine mount, a rubber tranny mount from older chev trucks and the A/C bracket mount I use from older 3.3/3.8's. When finished the engine is in god and strong with none of the vibrations you get from poly mounts and for a lot less money. Dan

------------------

Signature compliments of F-I-E-R-O
2003 3800SC series II powered
www.photosled.com/showgallery.php/cat/631
www.photosled.com/showgallery/cat/1583

multmigs

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2007 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for multmigsSend a Private Message to multmigsDirect Link to This Post
PURPLE REIGN manual mount kit is all I need to mount the 3800sc properly? I saw some thread about some guy having problems with the mounts and his problem was not using poly mounts just wondering if these are included with the 275 mount kit?

IN A WORD NO!!! the $275 kit is the plates that mount to the motor and transmission only, he sells them like this for manual swaps where you can try to use the stock type rubber mounts that sit on the cradle. I didn't understand that from his initial posting and had to then order up the poly lower kit which is another $250 because there is no alternative using his uppers and the auto trans I am using 4t65e, That said the mounts are good, very strong looking, little cheap on the rattle can spray paint, but I powdercoated mine so they look good now, PR just has alot of orders it seems and not that much time for communication with the buyers, I received a wrong mount that was sent to another guy and again added more delay etc to my project, again if you have the $$ and no skill for making your own its a good way to go esp if you are using an automatic trans...
goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2007 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
Well that is $275 I won't be spending since I would also have to spend another $200+ for poly mounts.....I'm glad I asked.

I had planned on using a few radius rods so the motor stays put and they are a lot cheaper than poly.

When all of you are making the engine mount do you level the engine? What is your technique?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2007 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
You just get it close, the stock mounts will flex a ton anyway, and from my experience in the 3800 world, a company made some replacement poly mounts more than an inch short, and it caused no problems.

Poke around in my sig for mounts, the mounts I made for my manual swap are inspired by Darthfiero (actually all of the following is his). The old rubber mount is burned/scraped off the old mount bracket, then the dodge mount is put into place.

(NOTE: The 79 Dodge Truck 318V8 mounts have a safety catch and are preferred to be used in any location where the mount would see a pulling-apart force) There are also some modifications you will need to perform to the cradle and mount brackets to get everything to line up and mount properly.

The new way Ryan does things is a bit more involved, but actually stronger/stiffer and cheaper. It involves making mounts the old fasion way with basic bushing material, either poly or otherwise, shoved inside a peice of tube stock, cut to size, and a carrier bolted through it.

This is Ryans mount that he uses for the actual motor size, note the new style round stock with bushing design. Its significantly more work to make, but quite possibly works better. So IMO, for a 3800 mount setup, all you have to do is mod the mount I showed you above with the dodge mounts, then construct somthing similar to what is below me, and your 3800 has the equivalent of a custom made poly mount setup for ~$30. I am fairly sure that a welding shop could assist greatly in creating the lower mount for next to nothing.

------------------
[16:58] davepettinelli: mine's got a court-apponted psychiatrist
[16:58] davepettinelli: yay girls
[16:59] GTPimpin: mine whines alot
[16:59] GTPimpin: her name is fiero

Ultimate 3800 swap thread

goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2007 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
I will probably keep the stock mounts until they break...if they do.....and use radius rods to aid in the stability. I totally forgot that I only really need 1 new mount for the engine. So what did you do for the engine mount before the new design? I thought someone used 4 of the dodge mounts on the engine side?

[This message has been edited by goatnipples2002 (edited 01-12-2008).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2007 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Pretty much, thats all I did. As I said before, I just made a little bipod under the motor, one on the rear side like shown in the picture, but it ran tward the rear corner of the cradle, the other went twards the front corner. At the end of these little legs, I had dodge mounts. I used the small hard "puck" styles on the manual car, but on my auto swap I used the bigger cushy ones, youll know what I mean if you go shoping for these mounts.

Remember that you dont need to use the dodge mounts, if a part store guy is nice he will just let you poke around the shelfs back in the back looking for nice mounts to use.
PFF
System Bot
goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2007 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
I work at Advance auto. Not sure what i will do but I will continue to search and read.
3.8 SC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2007 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
Is there anyone, running the 3800 S/C engine without the so called, dogbone?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock