Help! Stupid situation with factory Sub installation by perry rhodan
Started on: 08-19-2007 07:09 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: perry rhodan on 08-21-2007 06:54 PM
perry rhodan

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2007 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
I was looking to install a factory sub in my 1986 GT. Originally it was not equipped with this option.

But a bad surprise was waiting for me....I read everywhere that Fiero 86 and up have all the brakets under the dash to hold the factory sub.

It looks like not mine. Heres a picture of my underdash (passenger side).

Someone can send me a picture of what its supposed to looks like when all the brakets are there?

My Fiero is a true 1986 GT no guess...so its supposed to be equipped with these brakets...now I dont understand why not.

[This message has been edited by perry rhodan (edited 08-19-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CorvetteFan86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2007 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CorvetteFan86Click Here to visit CorvetteFan86's HomePageSend a Private Message to CorvetteFan86Direct Link to This Post
Mine is an 86 Gt also and this is what mine looks like. The brown,yellow,and light green wire me and my father ran for power mirrors everything else is how is was.

Hope it helps,
Tommy
perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2007 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
Thanks...well it looks like the shime holder is not the same as me..I dont know why...

Anybody else here that have an ' 86 and have a shime support like mine?
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2007 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
i went and snapped a few quick pics for you of min, its hard to see but maybe it will help you a bit? my car was owned by golden86 and he did a custom sub box winth an 8" in it, so there the chime box and flasher stuff has been relocated under the dash but heres a few pics of it now withthe stock sub box with a Dickman sub
i just pointed the camera up under the dash and took pics, nothing specific, let me know if i can do anything more for you

------------------

AIM:Onefast2M8
86 GT SC 3800 Intercooled
02 Jetta 1.8t

perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2007 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
I went to the scrapyard after work...they have two notchie, one 87 and on 88 and neither have this convenience support that can take the subwoofer. The support in these cars is the same as mine..

So the fact that 86+ have this braket is half true / half false.

I will need this braket, in fact this "convenience" support with the connector if the connector (where the shime and the other module connect) is different from mine with the "standard" support.

I will post a WTB in the mall but if you have one spare I need it

[This message has been edited by perry rhodan (edited 08-20-2007).]

perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2007 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post

perry rhodan

802 posts
Member since Apr 2006
Well finally I found whats the deal with this....

After looking to differents pictures I noticed some difference in the air duct where the support is attached. After looking in the Enthusiast Guide to the Fiero (NIFE) I found the reason.

The only cars that have this support for the factory subwoofer option are the one equipped with the C60 option...the C60 option is Air conditionned. You need this option with stereo option to be able to have the performance sound option.

So only '86+ car with air conditionned have this support right from the factory.

Too bad for me.

Now I need to know if this braket can be fitted on the standard air duct or I will need to made a custom one.

[This message has been edited by perry rhodan (edited 08-20-2007).]

speed1

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2007 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for speed1Send a Private Message to speed1Direct Link to This Post
I am sure you could fabricate a bracket that would rotate the "convenience" holder and support the subwoofer enclosure. But since you have discovered that an '86+ car with ac has the correct bracket, it would be much easier to grab the heater core cover with the bracket already attached. It is held on by four screws and it would save alot of fabrication time. I found a pic posted by jscott that shows the two heater core covers.

[This message has been edited by speed1 (edited 08-20-2007).]

perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2007 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for these detailed pictures. Tomorrow I will look at my air duct under the dash to see what can be done. But I'm sure that the heater core cover are useless since it will not fit... the air duct is not the same in a non AC and an AC car as I can see from the different picture. Mine dont look to have a cover. It look to be made of one piece.

Do you know from what different car these covers come from? I guess the one on the top come from 86+ AC car and the bottom one come from 84-85 AC car?
speed1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2007 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for speed1Send a Private Message to speed1Direct Link to This Post
I have only worked on one fiero that was non-ac and I really do not remember how the ventilation system looked. If the non ac cars do not have the same cover I guess you will have to fabricate a bracket. It shouldn't be too hard, just not as easy as swapping out a cover.
speed1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2007 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for speed1Send a Private Message to speed1Direct Link to This Post

speed1

208 posts
Member since May 2001
opps! sorry for the double post

[This message has been edited by speed1 (edited 08-20-2007).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2007 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I see someone already posted the two covers...

I added a factory subwoofer to my 84 and I didn't even bother to change the cover, I was able to just unhook the convenience center and jam it up into the hole. The sub is stable with just the one mounting bracket. I can always change the heater cover later, but you don't really have to.
PFF
System Bot
perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2007 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
jscott1 : your 84 was already equipped with AC...Iam right?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock