Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  anyone know how to convert a quad4 to DIS with plug wires?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

anyone know how to convert a quad4 to DIS with plug wires? by m0sh_man
Started on: 08-09-2007 01:48 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: fierohobby on 09-13-2007 10:33 AM
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2007 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
id like to get rid of my IDI cover, and just see the two cam covers,

ive got two 87-88 fiero's i could rob the coils and what not from them, but they have the crank sensor or something tied into the module, not sure if i need that, or maybe trim it off the module, but if i could adapt them to the quad4 id love it.

matthew
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Sleepy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2007 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SleepySend a Private Message to SleepyDirect Link to This Post
I think Quad4Rods and Mantapart both sell ignition stuff for the Q4. However, I beleive they may be more geared toward a carbureted setup, as the side drafts on a Q4 are a favorite among rodders.
m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2007 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sleepy:

I think Quad4Rods and Mantapart both sell ignition stuff for the Q4. However, I beleive they may be more geared toward a carbureted setup, as the side drafts on a Q4 are a favorite among rodders.

quad4rods sells a plug in system, but no instructions, or anything (who would have thought)
mantapart.com doesnt seem to offer a kit.

matthew

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2007 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
if you can grab the pinouts for the quad icm, then we could see if another gm coilpack setup is the same. I imagine that it is,and you could just directly wire in a random ICM off lets say a duke?
m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2007 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

if you can grab the pinouts for the quad icm, then we could see if another gm coilpack setup is the same. I imagine that it is,and you could just directly wire in a random ICM off lets say a duke?

doesnt the duke's coils have a large pin that goes into the crank case for a crank trigger?

matthew
m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2007 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
BUMP
fierohobby

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohobbySend a Private Message to fierohobbyDirect Link to This Post
m0sh, did you ever get an answer on this?

-fh
p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post
Bryson did it, and so have others, check for swap threads. All you need to do is extend the wires from the ICM to the firewall, plig in the module, and connect plug wires to the coil packs. Its fairly straight foreward.
befarrer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for befarrerSend a Private Message to befarrerDirect Link to This Post

This is my setup.

I used the Quad 4 ignition module, if you take apart the quad 4 IDI cover, the ignition module has 3 wires coming out of it, a common wire (pink), and 1 for each coil (both are white). I traced the wires inside the IDI plastic thing to see which coil fired which plugs, one does 1 and 4, the other does 2 and 3. Then find out which wire coming out of the ignition module controls that coil.

I then used a stock DIS coil brick, gutted the ignition module out of the coil base, leaving just the frame for the coils to mount, and the connectors going into the coil, and soldered the 3 ignition module wires onto the tabs on the coil base. Check which tabs go where, one goes to both coils, this is the common, and then there is one for each coil.

Here is my coils and module that I mounted on the rear firewall:

This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.

------------------

84 Fiero Sport Coupe #1192 :: 86 Fiero Base Coupe Quad 4 HO :: 1998 Dodge Neon EX 2Dr 2.0L DOHC Auto

[This message has been edited by befarrer (edited 09-12-2007).]

fierohobby

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2007 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohobbySend a Private Message to fierohobbyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by p8ntman442:

Bryson did it, and so have others, check for swap threads.

How do you think I found this?

Thanks for the quick how-to, bfarrer! + to you.

-fh

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock