fuel pump pulsator?? by 88 Silver Formula
Started on: 08-07-2007 09:35 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Xanth on 08-09-2007 12:45 PM
88 Silver Formula

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2007 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Silver FormulaSend a Private Message to 88 Silver FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Hi all, ive been thanking that i need to change out my fuel pump (88 3.4), i started another thread but it kinda died before i understood what a pulsator was, so i apolige for the double post, so anyway i got 16psi at the shrader and like 22 while running, 30 with full throttle, im assuming that my pump is on the fritz, but what is this pulsator? any wright ups on how to replace/ fix this??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2007 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Scrap it and put in a length of hose. I believe in theory it is to reduce the sound of the pump inside the car, but I feel its unnecessary. It is also one more spot where pressure can leak from the system.

The pulsator is directly between the fuel pump and the fuel assembly, if you've replaced your fuel pump before and have a pulsator you will have seen it.

http://fierodomain.com/content/view/111/100/1/4/

On that page you will see a pic of the fuel pump assembly removed, you can just see the pulsator above the fuel level assembly. It has two bulges on the side. The fuel pump simply pulls out of it, and the pulsator pulls right off the assembly. Just replace it with a piece of fuel injection hose and clamps.

If you haven't done a pump before you may find my guide useful, starts here:
http://fierodomain.com/content/view/111/100/

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
Over 120 Fiero Links, Articles, Images, Diagnostics

"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2007 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post

I've replaced the pulsators on both my Fieros and my C4 Corvette with a short section of fuel injection hose. Works perfectly. If it's noisier than before, I've haven't noticed. Then again, I'm getting up in the years and all those concerts in the 70's and 80's took their toll on my hearing

88 Silver Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2007 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Silver FormulaSend a Private Message to 88 Silver FormulaDirect Link to This Post
ok thanks il try that first thing tomorrow
88 Silver Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2007 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Silver FormulaSend a Private Message to 88 Silver FormulaDirect Link to This Post
WOW thats alot of rust in thoes pics lol, mine doesnt even have rust on the fuel tank strap studs lol, but ehhhh, ive heard that the pulsator keeps fuel constant because the pump jerks with each pump causing gaps in fuel, the pulsator acts like a negitave capacitor..and if you do by pass it..will it be louder?
Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2007 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:

If you haven't done a pump before you may find my guide useful, starts here:
http://fierodomain.com/content/view/111/100/

This says to use non fuel injection hose. Wouldn't you want to use fuel injection hose? All Fieros are fuel injected as far as I know.

------------------

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2007 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Adam:

This says to use non fuel injection hose. Wouldn't you want to use fuel injection hose? All Fieros are fuel injected as far as I know.

Non fuel injection hose ( rubber gas line) can rupture under the high pressures that EFI requires. Fuel injection hose must be used and you'll never notice that the pulsator is missing.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo- 0-60 5.2 seconds
2006 3800SC Series III swap in progress
Engine Controls, PCM goodies,
re-programming & odd electronics stuff
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2007 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Adam:

That hose I have listed is not for the high-pressure outlet on the tank, it was for the smaller low-pressure return and vent lines.

I used to have the proper high-pressure line listed there as well, I must have accidentally deleted it. Anyone happen to know the correct size off hand?

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com

Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2007 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post

Xanth

6886 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by 88 Silver Formula:

WOW thats alot of rust in thoes pics lol, mine doesnt even have rust on the fuel tank strap studs lol, but ehhhh, ive heard that the pulsator keeps fuel constant because the pump jerks with each pump causing gaps in fuel, the pulsator acts like a negitave capacitor..and if you do by pass it..will it be louder?

And that's my good tank

As for the pump jerking, that may be true if it was a piston or diaphragm pump, but its not. I believe its called an impeller type? Might be wrong there but fuel flow should be fairly constant through this type of pump.

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 08-09-2007).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay