CARBED 4.9 SWAP INQUIRY by minelaza
Started on: 07-31-2007 01:05 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: Mark A. Klein on 08-04-2007 11:26 PM
minelaza

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2007 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for minelazaSend a Private Message to minelazaDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone. I am new here and have searched quite well for an answer before asking my next question, but there is no apparent answer in the search engine.
Some background:

I am doing the famous 4.9 swap and am going carbed for many different reasons, but rather than explain why, IŽll keep it simple...I want to and have no other options ($$$) at this point.

I have a 1985 fiero 2.8 with a 4 speed manual tranny. I purchased Chris West's brackets, flywheel, clutch, etc, etc. and I purchased the Holly 4412 /500 cfm high performance 2300 series carb, as well.

The engine I purchased is a 94 Deville. Unfortunately it lacked the distributor when it was delivered, and don't have access to any where I am at, so that creates part of my dilemma and as a result, the base for my question.

I have a 1990 4.5 engine sitting next to me with a perfect distributor unit. Similar to this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...dZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Do you think this distributor will do the job for replacing the original?

I understand I need to modify an olds 307 distributor shaft and add the ignition module, induction coil and module harness to the caddy distibutor... but I donŽt know if this one will work:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...dZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Will this 4.5 distributor with the changes from the olds distributor do the job for me? I understand both the 4.9 and 4.5 distributor are the same, but do correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for any help I may get from you guys and I look forward to your input .

I will keep you posted on how things evolve as the miles roll by.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2007 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I don't have a direct answer for you but here are some leads.

This thread has alot of info

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-2-068938.html

This website is probably good for some info.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/

Good luck on it

Arn
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2007 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
This should walk you through the dist conversion (and pretty much everything else about this swap).

http://www.fortunecity.com/...r/switch/67/id18.htm
minelaza

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2007 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for minelazaSend a Private Message to minelazaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Guys! I appreciate the leads and will look into them. Mabye I should be more direct: Will a 1990 Cadillac 4.5 distributor fit and operate in a 1994 4.9?

This being the case, I should be able to adapt all the olds electicals into this distributor. Now having that buckled up and if it were the case, will the olds rotor being announced work for the modification of the 4.5 distributor?

Thanks for bearing with me guys, but just trying to get this right....
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2007 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by minelaza:

Will a 1990 Cadillac 4.5 distributor fit and operate in a 1994 4.9?

Yes, the 4.5 dist will work just fine in the 4.9

Originally posted by minelaza:
will the olds rotor being announced work for the modification of the 4.5 distributor?

Yes, this is that is the type of dist needed - notice the counter weights setup for the reverse rotation vs. the traditional SBC.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2007 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
I think John Striker knows a WHOLE lot about the 4.9 swaps - you should contact him ..
FierOmar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2007 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post
See you are from LAX... If I am thinking correctly, that is here is SoCal. If so, are you planning on running the car on the street?

------------------
FierOmar

minelaza

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2007 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for minelazaSend a Private Message to minelazaDirect Link to This Post
No, CARB will not be a problem for me. The car will not be registered in California. Thanks for the help and if there are any further pointers, they are welcome.
minelaza

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2007 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for minelazaSend a Private Message to minelazaDirect Link to This Post

minelaza

8 posts
Member since Jul 2007
Paul, thanks for the tip on John Striker. Would you happen to have his info so I may able to contact him?
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2007 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I was talking to a friend who gives me to understand that you need to get an earlier 4.1 distributor, because of the difference in the plate thickness that mounts the module on the 4.5 rotor. Apparently it will not turn. It will jam on the module but the 4.1 will turn just fine

Hope this helps

Arn
minelaza

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2007 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for minelazaSend a Private Message to minelazaDirect Link to This Post
Ooops!!!! Fiero Guru, any coments on this? All input and new knowledge is always welcome, guys.
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2007 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
I used the 4.5 dist for my setup several years ago.
minelaza

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2007 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for minelazaSend a Private Message to minelazaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

I was talking to a friend who gives me to understand that you need to get an earlier 4.1 distributor, because of the difference in the plate thickness that mounts the module on the 4.5 rotor. Apparently it will not turn. It will jam on the module but the 4.1 will turn just fine

Hope this helps

Arn

So I shouldn' t worry about this then...
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2007 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
It was around 6 years ago I did this swap, but I do not remember doing anything special to the 4.5 dist besides converting it to mechanical advance.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2007 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I think you're talking about the fuel injection application?

The carb application is different. I know the carb applications are different but I'm no expert. It might be a fit issue with the Oldsmobile internal shaft. Somebody out there must have installed a carb on their 4.9

Arn
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2007 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

I think you're talking about the fuel injection application?

The carb application is different. I know the carb applications are different but I'm no expert. It might be a fit issue with the Oldsmobile internal shaft. Somebody out there must have installed a carb on their 4.9

Arn

Mine was an aftermarket EFI (holley projection) application so I did the conversion to mechanical/vacuum advance on the dist.

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2007 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Fieroguru. Nice to have somebody who knows for sure

Arn
minelaza

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2007 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for minelazaSend a Private Message to minelazaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Arn And Fieroguru for your input and interest in helping me out here...don't want to sound like a moron but would this mean yes I can use the 90 4.5 distributor or not? I appreciate you bearing with me on this...
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2007 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
I was successful doing the carb conversion with a 4.5 dist, so I would assume you could be successful doing it to.
minelaza

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2007 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for minelazaSend a Private Message to minelazaDirect Link to This Post
Any further suggestions anyone?
Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2007 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinDirect Link to This Post
Please be careful. The 90 distributor is the same as the 91 4.9l Earlier 4.5 are the same as the 4.1 1990 is the only port injected 4.5 excluding allante. 1990 uses the longest rods of any of the 4.5's and the same pistons as the 4.9L... I think you would want an 1985 to 1989 distributor. But then again, the throttle body is pretty simple to hook up instead of the port system.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock