Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  what coolent resivor to run with the L67 intercooler?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

what coolent resivor to run with the L67 intercooler? by $Rich$
Started on: 07-26-2007 08:18 AM
Replies: 22
Last post by: MstangsBware on 08-31-2007 01:59 PM
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2007 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
seems that the intercoooler is tied into the factory coolent system so its recirculating engine temp coolent thru the intercooler
it has its own frontmount but its still tapped into the engine cooloing system,
seems like its defeating the purpose
i need to know which coolent bottle guys run for the fiero and where to mount it my pump is mounted in the trunk on the pass side

any help is appreaciated
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
chrisgtp

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2007 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrisgtpSend a Private Message to chrisgtpDirect Link to This Post
its not the same system as the coolant. where ever you got that from is wrong. its a sealed system uses it own front mount heat exchanger and a 12v pump. you dont realy need a res but the added collent will not hurt
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2007 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chrisgtp:

its not the same system as the coolant. where ever you got that from is wrong. its a sealed system uses it own front mount heat exchanger and a 12v pump. you dont realy need a res but the added collent will not hurt

your assuming that the previous owner installed it correctly....

If what you say is indeed true, yes its completely pointless to circulate 200ish degree coolant through your intercooler core. Belive it or not, coolant serves 2 things in your motor, keeping it cool, and keeping it a constantly warm temperature that reduces power loss through loss heat.

The intercooler should have its own coolant bottle, its own core installed up front, and its own electric pump. The exit air temperature on the blower is somthing around 250ish degrees, so if the intercooler core was 200+, then its pretty much defeating the idea of a cooler...
$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2007 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
it has its own pump, and own front mount intercooler, but there tied into the the same system i beleive up frontby the radiator,
ill look into it more, but im pretty sure that there together, it dosent make sence but ill look better to make sure maybe its just tied in at the overflow
ignorant prodigy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2007 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyDirect Link to This Post
is it at the highest point of the system? it may be to just burp the system.
$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2007 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
no it has a nipple in the system that is mounted higher than anything else
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2007 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
I run the Cobalt SS resovior that the W-Body sells inline with my system so I can add fluid when needed. It also takes the trouble of bleeding the air out of the system for you.
$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2007 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
i just looked, the intercooler had an inlet and an outlet along with an over flow line on the top,
the overflow line is tapped into the overflow on the main cooling system
there is a T in the over flow out of the main radiator so they 2 systems are shreing the one overflow bottle
should i get it its own overflow bottle?
the temp of the intercooler hoses feels warmer than i think they should they feel about the same as the main radiator hoses
shouldnt the inter cooler be signifigantly cooler?
would it be if i put them on their own overflow tank?

what should i do?

------------------

AIM:Onefast2M8
86 GT SC 3800 Intercooled
02 Jetta 1.8t

tampalinc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2007 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tampalincSend a Private Message to tampalincDirect Link to This Post
I am running an intercooler reservoir from a Cobra Mustang.
Some on Club GP make them from a spare coolant reservoir and parts from Home Depot.
$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2007 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
ill look into that, on the fiero how is it set up on other peoples?
resivor in the engine bay?
then what? run the over flow all the way back?
or cap it off at the intercooler?

[This message has been edited by $Rich$ (edited 07-26-2007).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2007 03:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
all of the IC installs I have done/seen have just used a chunk of clear tubing running vertical to the ground, an inline filler t somewhere around the highest point of the system, usually near the inlet of the pump.

Having a the chunk of tube T'ed into one of the lines, is basicly the best of both worlds, totally prevents cavitating and air in the system.
PFF
System Bot
$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2007 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
yes, i have a T in the system, it is back on the trunk side wall, near the pump
should i make the system have its own resivor? or atleast disconnect it from the main cooling systems?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2007 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by $Rich$:

yes, i have a T in the system, it is back on the trunk side wall, near the pump
should i make the system have its own resivor? or atleast disconnect it from the main cooling systems?

I dont remember doing anything with the "overflow" on my intercooler setups, so I would imagine that you can just disconnect that and have any "overflow" vent to the ground.
$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2007 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
so now i have a t in the system and the over flow is connected to the factory overflow, im thinking of putting this in-line and maybe removing the T where the fill is, and installing this up front and connecting the overflow on the front mount to it?
http://www.wbodystore.com/g...rvoir-kit-p-113.html

any thoughts on this?

------------------

AIM:Onefast2M8
86 GT SC 3800 Intercooled
02 Jetta 1.8t

[This message has been edited by $Rich$ (edited 07-27-2007).]

$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2007 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
Bump,... has anyone seen this resivor before?
vortecfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2007 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vortecfieroClick Here to visit vortecfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to vortecfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by $Rich$:

so now i have a t in the system and the over flow is connected to the factory overflow, im thinking of putting this in-line and maybe removing the T where the fill is, and installing this up front and connecting the overflow on the front mount to it?
http://www.wbodystore.com/g...rvoir-kit-p-113.html

any thoughts on this?

this sounds like the setup uses the expansion tank for the A/W intercooler expansion as well.
This is fine because the intercooler system hardly expands at all and if it does it adds to the hot coolant in the
expansion tank.. it does not draw from it until it cools down.
As long as the cooling system is completely separate from intercooler system (other than the overflow or expansion tank)
you should be fine

------------------

87 Fiero GT 5sp with Vortec L35 4300 Turbocharged V6
Bully Stage 2 clutch
Syclone intake manifold and engine management with Moates adapter and chip burner
Air/water intercooler and Devil's Own progressive water/alky injection
50lb injectors, 3 bar map sensor, Walboro fuel pump and Jabasco Intercooler pump
LM1 wideband on custom manifolds and 3" stainless exhaust system
T31/T04B S4 turbo with a Super T61 in the box
S10 caliper conversion.
Murphy's Constant Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value
Murphy's Law of Thermodynamics Things get worse under pressure.
Arthur C. Clarke "Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

[This message has been edited by vortecfiero (edited 07-28-2007).]

$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2007 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
thanks guys, it just seemed that the IC system seemed pretty warm for what it was doing, it felt to be the same as the engine coolent temp, (judging by feeling the hoses, and feeling the radiator and front intercooler radiator,
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2007 05:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
I am in the process of installing my intercooler, and saw this thread... did you get the resevoir from the W Body store, and if so how is it working, where did you mount it, and lastly, how did you connect the lines to it?

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2007 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Most systems I have setup use a coolant T fitting, and a length of hose stretching above the highest point of the system. A "ice box" setup is not usually needed, unless your doing something that could benefit greatly from it.
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2007 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Most systems I have setup use a coolant T fitting, and a length of hose stretching above the highest point of the system. A "ice box" setup is not usually needed, unless your doing something that could benefit greatly from it.

Ice box? The link to the W Body Store is for a small reservoir, not an ice box. WBS claims that the reservoir makes it a self bleeding system, and it looks like it obviously makes it easier to fill the system. Where is your reference to ice box coming from?
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2007 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topcat:

Ice box? The link to the W Body Store is for a small reservoir, not an ice box. WBS claims that the reservoir makes it a self bleeding system, and it looks like it obviously makes it easier to fill the system. Where is your reference to ice box coming from?

If you want to take all the hassle out of bleeding off your system, them get the reservoir that the W Body Store sells. Before I added it my my system in place of the filling T, it was a pain to get all the air out. With the resovior, it does all the work for you and takes all the air out on its own.
PFF
System Bot
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2007 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

If you want to take all the hassle out of bleeding off your system, them get the reservoir that the W Body Store sells. Before I added it my my system in place of the filling T, it was a pain to get all the air out. With the resovior, it does all the work for you and takes all the air out on its own.

Thanks for the info. How is it plumbed? It looks like it has an inlet and outlet, and a tube for an overflow?

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2007 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topcat:

Thanks for the info. How is it plumbed? It looks like it has an inlet and outlet, and a tube for an overflow?

Thats it--Goes in one side/out the other with a little overflow outlet coming off it. It makes the filling process about 95% easier than just using the T-type filler. I put mine on the return hose right after a 90* hose coming off the core.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock