Started on: 07-22-2007 05:56 AM
Replies: 3
Last post by: PaulJK on 07-30-2007 06:57 AM
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2007 05:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Tonite I rolled my 85SE half way out of the garage to clean up a bit. I put the battery on charge while I worked. When I finished, the battery was fully charged and I started the car and backed it completely into the garage. About 15 minutes later, I decided to take the car for a ride but the starter just clicked - NO START after only one start on a full battery (!) This car had almost ALWAYS been slow to "crank" but I blamed it on the battery from sitting all the time or the relay on my START button.

I happened to look behind me and I saw a puff of smoke above the airbox. I got out and looked around and found the problem here.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 07-22-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2007 06:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
A closer look showed the ground wire (right) was on the post (left) that also held the brace for the line going to the vapor canister. The post was loose from the car frame but the ground wire was securely nutted to the post ! This ground connects where the engine and trans bolt together. The smoke was apparently from arcing to the frame !

{Note: i took this pic after I gave the ground its own bolt }

I took a closer look at this POS post. The threads that hold it in are wide like a sheet metal screw and the top is a friggin torx ! If you look close you can see that the first thread below the base is missing - i guess that's a good reason for it being loose ! The post is now in the garbage where it belongs.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 08-11-2007).]

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2007 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post

PaulJK

6638 posts
Member since Oct 2001
I figured that the ground for the engine / trans was important enough to have its own connection, so I sanded the mating surfaces, lightly coated them with conductive grease and used a meaty screw to secure it to the frame. I then coated it with black hi temp silicon and used the same kind of screw to hold the bracket.

Since the charger was on the battery AGAIN while all this was being done, the battery had a complete charge ... barely touched the button and it cranked Wonderfully .

Then my clutch pedal went right to the floor and a big puddle formed under the car .

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2007 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
{nevermind }

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock