Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Somethings not right, need help. High idle/possible power loss? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Somethings not right, need help. High idle/possible power loss? by kawana
Started on: 07-20-2007 07:22 PM
Replies: 61
Last post by: kawana on 08-10-2007 06:16 PM
kawana

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
Ok im not sure whats going on, my car was stalling on a cold start (read other thread) so i bought some throttle body spray cleaner. Ill list exactly what i did if it helps:

undid snorkle from both ends, pulled off throttlebody and PVC vent, i sprayed some cleaner on the plate, back of the plate, IAC port. I let it dry and whiped the grease stuff off with a rag and put the rag on a screwdriver and gently cleaned just the inside of the IAC port (only went in bout 1/2in. I then put the snorkle back on, put the PVC vent back on and connected the other end of the snorkle to the filter. Now, it starts to idle at 2000rpm and drops to 1000-1500... I took it for a quick spin and it seemed to have a little less responsiveness sometimes, i didn't go far at all so cuz i wasn't sure what was wrong so i headed back. The oil temp seemed higher than normal too. What could be wrong? i gotta drive this to work tomorrow. I think i liked the stalling better lol.

and since it'll be asked, the engine is the 2.8L

edit: Kinda on a side note, what is your guys average idle? Was mine lower than normal before so this seems high to me? My idle before was 1000ish, it would drop to 400 and stall. Now it doesn't stall but the idle feels too high to me. About the power loss, that may not be 100% true, i was a little nervous so i didn't really try it out too much.

[This message has been edited by kawana (edited 07-20-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
double post

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
You are saying its now idling between 1000 and 1500 like going back and forth between the 2? But not stalling?

950-1050 range is good for idle.

[This message has been edited by Hudini (edited 07-20-2007).]

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

You are saying its now idling between 1000 and 1500 like going back and forth between the 2? But not stalling?

edit: Ok i payed close attention to it this time and what it seems to be doing is:

start up, 2000rpm>1750>1500 (bout 3-4 seconds)> then it stayed steady at 1100-1200ish, kinda bobbed back and forth.

would it have anything to do with maybe some residue from the cleaner on the inside of the plate that maybe didn't evaporate 100% or something. Its been drying for a few hours now.

If you think this is OK, i might take it for a quick spin and see if the responsiveness feels any better. I was going very easy on it before cuz i didn't know what was going on.

project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by kawana:

what is your guys average idle? Was mine lower than normal before so this seems high to me? My idle before was 1000ish, it would drop to 400 and stall. Now it doesn't stall but the idle feels too high to me.

Mine idles around 1000 RPM; 400 is too low.

Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Try this little test. Remove snorkel from the throttle body. Start the engine and let it idle. Place your finger over the IAC port. The engine should quit in short order. This is because you closed off the idle air from the engine. If the engine does not quit then it indicates a vacuum leak somewhere. A vacuum leak will cause a high idle as the IAC is trying to make the car idle down but cannot because extra air is entering somewhere else.

Another thing to try is to remove the IAC from the throttle body. It screws into the throttle body just like a big bolt. It has a gasket on it to provide a seal against air leaking in so be careful you do not tear it. Remove the electrical connector too, it has a little tab you pull back just a bit then pull the whole connector free. Once the IAC is out you can clean the pintle and clean more of the IAC passage. If you need the car tomorrow morning then wait on this step just in case you mess something up you want time to recover.
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:

Mine idles around 1000 RPM; 400 is too low.

i know, it was dropping to 400rpm before i used the throttlebody cleaner, i had another thread started cuz it would stall on a cold start. The recommended fix was MAT sensor/throttle body cleaner. I used the cleaner but not the MAT sensor, now that i used the cleaner the RPM is higher as stated in the OP, it doesn't stall now though so thats good. I dont know how i could have messed something up, i didn't touch ANYTHING else besides what i wrote. I was very gentle in what i was doing so as to not damage anything.
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

kawana

2329 posts
Member since May 2007

Try this little test. Remove snorkel from the throttle body. Start the engine and let it idle. Place your finger over the IAC port. The engine should quit in short order. This is because you closed off the idle air from the engine. If the engine does not quit then it indicates a vacuum leak somewhere. A vacuum leak will cause a high idle as the IAC is trying to make the car idle down but cannot because extra air is entering somewhere else.

Another thing to try is to remove the IAC from the throttle body. It screws into the throttle body just like a big bolt. It has a gasket on it to provide a seal against air leaking in so be careful you do not tear it. Remove the electrical connector too, it has a little tab you pull back just a bit then pull the whole connector free. Once the IAC is out you can clean the pintle and clean more of the IAC passage. If you need the car tomorrow morning then wait on this step just in case you mess something up you want time to recover.

Ok ill do the first one now and let you know what happens. i might not need the car tomorrow (might have a replacement) so if the first one doesn't work ill try the 2nd thing.

btw, why would this only become a problem now that i cleaned it? my RPMs were too LOW before.

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

kawana

2329 posts
Member since May 2007
Ok, just did that and it DID stall. Now what lol. If the next step is to take it off, could you please explain HOW? Perhaps use that picture you posted in the other thread as an example.

edit: Is 1100RPM considered too high for an idle?

Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
Your IAC valve may be headin' south! It was the cause of my high idle problems here. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/084438.html
Hudini...you have a pm
Marc

[This message has been edited by Gokart (edited 07-20-2007).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
The finger test over the IAC port causing the stall is a good thing. It means you have no vacuum leaks.

Ok, if the stalling is cured and the idle is just a tad high then don't sweat it. Drive the car and see if the idle comes down on its own. The ECM is continually trying to adjust idle to perfect. The big test is to see how it acts on a cold start.
PFF
System Bot
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

The finger test over the IAC port causing the stall is a good thing. It means you have no vacuum leaks.

Ok, if the stalling is cured and the idle is just a tad high then don't sweat it. Drive the car and see if the idle comes down on its own. The ECM is continually trying to adjust idle to perfect. The big test is to see how it acts on a cold start.

Ok.. phew.. big load off my mind lol thanks for your help. This is why i love this forum lol, i never woulda figured this out on my own, especially not in like 20min :P Ill take it for a spin and let you know how it goes.
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

kawana

2329 posts
Member since May 2007
Ok, seems the problem is gone. Idles nicely at 900-1100ish. It feels a good deal better than before, the power feels like its all there so thats good. I dont know if its related but i remember before that it would studder when in first if im driving and went a little too low. I was just going the same speed and it was completely fine at the same speed in first gear. Thanks for the help guys
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
ok update:

Problem NOT gone, yesterday it was doing fine, idling at around 1000ish. Today, it stalled this morning. It idles at 2000 then drops to 1500 and stays there for awhile. It cant seem to make up its mind, sometimes it idles at 2000, 1500, or 1000. I cant pinpoint the connection for when they idle at those rpms. When i shift into first and give it some gas, it seems to take a bit more that i think it should to get going, it keeps wanting to bog out. going from first into second it kinda "studders" or something, i cant really explain. It doesn't happen all the time, just if im going a little too slow. I thought it was cuz i was going too slow but the RPMs where high enough that it shouldn't have done that.

I hope someone can respond to this soon, i have $300left from my check and am gunna hang onto that cuz i know somethings gunna need to be fixed here. Should i get the MAT sensor, would that be the problem? The Idle doesn't seem to change very much after its been run for awhile, it stays pretty close to 1500, though it does drop down a bit. Someone at work suggested that i get new plugs and wires (but they dont know alot about cars either) but should i do it? Help please! If something needs to be fixed i got all weekend so having it off the road isn't a huge problem. Please speak in lamens terms as much as you can, im still getting used to where/what stuff is. Thanks
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Have you got a multimeter? It is an electrical circuit tester. They are pretty cheap from Home Depot, Harbor Freight tools, etc. Especially the analog ones with a dial readout. The digital ones are a little more but easier to read. Plus you can use it again later if you need to test other things.

You can test the MAT sensor with a multimeter. You place the test leads on the little connector pins on the MAT sensor and measure resistance (Ohms). The ECM uses this resistance to read temperature. Look at this scale. Just interpolate between numbers.
The MAT sensor scale is the same as the coolant temp scale so don't let that throw ya.
Its 85 degrees at my house now so that is about 2600 ohms.

[This message has been edited by Hudini (edited 07-21-2007).]

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

Have you got a multimeter? It is an electrical circuit tester. They are pretty cheap from Home Depot, Harbor Freight tools, etc. Especially the analog ones with a dial readout. The digital ones are a little more but easier to read. Plus you can use it again later if you need to test other things.

You can test the MAT sensor with a multimeter. You place the test leads on the little connector pins on the MAT sensor and measure resistance (Ohms). The ECM uses this resistance to read temperature. Look at this scale. Just interpolate between numbers.
The MAT sensor scale is the same as the coolant temp scale so don't let that throw ya.
Its 85 degrees at my house now so that is about 2600 ohms.

Ok so i should check the outside temp, then check the sensor and see if it works out to being close to the actual outside temp? Is this correct? Maybe ill go pick one up, wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy the mat sensor lol :P If the sensor is faulty, could this be the cause for the problems ive listed?
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

kawana

2329 posts
Member since May 2007
Ok i got a multimeter, im guessing the 'Omega' symbol is the Ohm one? Ok now, do i take the sensor out to test it or what?
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
The omega is correct, to test the sensor just unplug its connector on the side of the air filter housing and touch your two leads to the contacts on the sensor. Probably easier to get at just by pulling the housing.

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
Over 120 Fiero Links, Articles, Images, Diagnostics

"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

prizm-bluegt

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prizm-bluegtSend a Private Message to prizm-bluegtDirect Link to This Post
Don't have to take it out. Unplug the sensor,and touch your meter probes to the 2 metel prongs on the sensor.
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by prizm-bluegt:

Don't have to take it out. Unplug the sensor,and touch your meter probes to the 2 metel prongs on the sensor.

Ok so i just unplug the back? Like i dont have to unscrew it from the housing? Or am i looking at the wrong thing :P

Using this picture, what part do i need to test?

and, is this the same thing? This is a picture i took:

edit: on my multimeter it says both 2000ohm and 2000k ohm, which do i use? and what do they mean?

edit:2 Im not sure whats going on with this thing, on my drive to the store the idle was fine, hung around 1000 the whole way there and back. The only difference between this drive and the drive earlier in which the idle was 1500 is that it may be slightly warmer outside than it was earlier today. Would the outside temp have this effect on the rpms?

[This message has been edited by kawana (edited 07-21-2007).]

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

kawana

2329 posts
Member since May 2007
Ok i dont understand this, it didn't show the same number twice, it was kinda all over the place. Sometimes it was close to 400, then 350, sometimes 8-900. What am i doing wrong? Or is it just shot?
PFF
System Bot
StockGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StockGTSend a Private Message to StockGTDirect Link to This Post
That is the MAT sensor in your picture (sometimes called Air Charge Temp. sensor).
When I was testing it on my car, I found it easier to remove it for testing (spray PB Blaster on threads to help removal)
Once out I use some small electrical clips on the sensor pins and then used some jumpers leads to connected the meter. You will find that the pins are small and close together. I then grabbed a hair dryer to vary the temperature, measuring the change with a thermometer.
I Recorded the the sensor resistance and temperature and found that the readings were close to the posted chart. (sensor working)
One thing with the sensor located under the vent, is can be subject to the elements. Even with the weather seal connector, check for corrosion.

As Hudini has suggested, did you remove and clean the IAC. I found on my car quit a bit of carbon build-up, and cleaned the tip with some throttle body cleaner. (don't soak the IAC in cleaner) Cleaning the IAC, fixing exhaust leaks, and readjusting the stop idle screw cleared up a cold start idle problem. Check that you have a plug for the throttle body stop idle screw.

On your meter, when 2000 is selected, that would be the highest resistance that can be measured on that setting. For measuring at a temp. of 70 deg. F, look for a setting like 10K or 20K.
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by StockGT:

That is the MAT sensor in your picture (sometimes called Air Charge Temp. sensor).
When I was testing it on my car, I found it easier to remove it for testing (spray PB Blaster on threads to help removal)
Once out I use some small electrical clips on the sensor pins and then used some jumpers leads to connected the meter. You will find that the pins are small and close together. I then grabbed a hair dryer to vary the temperature, measuring the change with a thermometer.
I Recorded the the sensor resistance and temperature and found that the readings were close to the posted chart. (sensor working)
One thing with the sensor located under the vent, is can be subject to the elements. Even with the weather seal connector, check for corrosion.

As Hudini has suggested, did you remove and clean the IAC. I found on my car quit a bit of carbon build-up, and cleaned the tip with some throttle body cleaner. (don't soak the IAC in cleaner) Cleaning the IAC, fixing exhaust leaks, and readjusting the stop idle screw cleared up a cold start idle problem. Check that you have a plug for the throttle body stop idle screw.

On your meter, when 2000 is selected, that would be the highest resistance that can be measured on that setting. For measuring at a temp. of 70 deg. F, look for a setting like 10K or 20K.

Dunno if you saw but i tried it and got some weird readings. Whats up with that? As far as removing the IAC, how do i do that exactly?

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

kawana

2329 posts
Member since May 2007
ok im really at a loss here, the numbers its giving me are really back and forth. Sometimes it says 580 then the next time it might say 1800. It constantly has a 1 on the screen, im assuming that thats for 1xxx, then when i touch the ends the xxx will change to like 900 so it'll say 1900 (im guessing this means 1900ohms?) But other times ill touch it and the one goes away and it just says 580, so i seems to be jumping between 580-1900ohms. Why would this be happening? I never get close to the same result twice in a row. Should i just go buy a new Mat sensor and be done with it lol?
StockGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StockGTSend a Private Message to StockGTDirect Link to This Post
Here's my guess on what's happening with your reading ....

You are using a digital meter with two test probes.
You are hold the test probes on the pins of the sensor for a reading.
As you hold the probes, the connection is not solid, and as you move, ever so slightly the connection changes, and thus the reading.

If you have or can find some tests leads with alligator clips, you would not have to hold the test probes on the sensor.
You may want to clean the pins on the sensor if it has any dirt or corrosion for a better connection.
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by StockGT:

Here's my guess on what's happening with your reading ....

You are using a digital meter with two test probes.
You are hold the test probes on the pins of the sensor for a reading.
As you hold the probes, the connection is not solid, and as you move, ever so slightly the connection changes, and thus the reading.

If you have or can find some tests leads with alligator clips, you would not have to hold the test probes on the sensor.
You may want to clean the pins on the sensor if it has any dirt or corrosion for a better connection.

wow.. your good, thats exactly what was happening lol. I guess ill have to go back and pick some of those up then.

edit: also i was gunna ask. Im not really sure what im supposed to DO with the information i get. How does this tell me if its faulty or not? Im not sure what steps to do here lol. Ill go pick up those clip things now i guess. brb in bout 20min.

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

kawana

2329 posts
Member since May 2007
ok i am just reassembling things to drive to the store and i was looking at the sensor, is it supposed to screw in all the way? Only the very tip is pokeing through, is this normal?

Ok, to the store!!!
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kawana:

wow.. your good, thats exactly what was happening lol. I guess ill have to go back and pick some of those up then.

edit: also i was gunna ask. Im not really sure what im supposed to DO with the information i get. How does this tell me if its faulty or not? Im not sure what steps to do here lol. Ill go pick up those clip things now i guess. brb in bout 20min.

If the resistance shown on the multimeter for the sensor is close to the chart readings at the current temperature, then your sensor is good and you will not have wasted money replacing it. If the sensor resistance is way off, then it is bad and needs replacing. Nothing more than that really. The other method is to just start replacing things and hope you have enough money or credit until you find the problem. I never did like that second method as I always bought parts I did not need.

Sometimes you find when taking off a connector that it is the connector itself that has broken or corroded or a bad ground. Lots of good reasons to test before you go buy although it is not always possible.
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

If the resistance shown on the multimeter for the sensor is close to the chart readings at the current temperature, then your sensor is good and you will not have wasted money replacing it. If the sensor resistance is way off, then it is bad and needs replacing. Nothing more than that really. The other method is to just start replacing things and hope you have enough money or credit until you find the problem. I never did like that second method as I always bought parts I did not need.

Sometimes you find when taking off a connector that it is the connector itself that has broken or corroded or a bad ground. Lots of good reasons to test before you go buy although it is not always possible.

God this car is driving me nuts lol. On the trip to the store it was great, idled perfectly, no lugging between gears like it sometimes does. Aaah. Ok i got the alligator clips, im gunna try this again.

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

kawana

2329 posts
Member since May 2007
gah.. i cant get the damned thing to work. I bought some alligator clips that hook onto the probes but i the smallest ones i could find are just a smidge too big, the end up touching so i cant get an accurate reading.

anything else i can try here? I might just go buy a new one, saving me the stress is worth the $20 lol.
I tried to remove the IAC, but it doesn't budge. Your sure it just screws off like a bolt?
Im following your picture, thats what im trying to unscrew but it doesn't move much. It seems to move freely back and forth but doesn't unthread. I just wanna be sure that it DOES come off and that im not gunna snap something.

Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Ok, step one, find the IAC:

Then get a big old adjustable wrench (1 1/4" wrench if you have one)

Unscrew IAC.

PFF
System Bot
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

Ok, step one, find the IAC:

Then get a big old adjustable wrench (1 1/4" wrench if you have one)

Unscrew IAC.

ya i found it, it just wasn't budging and i wanted to be sure that was it before i reefed on it. Didn't wanna unscrew something thats not supposed to come off lol. Ill go do this now.
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2007 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
Well, it did seem better on my drive tonight. The idle was a little lower than before, roughly 950-1100 which was nice to see. Im hopeing this was the problem, there was a good bit of gunk on the IAC so i got it nice and clean. We shall know for sure tomorrow morning.
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2007 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
Ok well i picked up a new MAT sensor yesterday (btw, they said "theres no such thing as a MAT sensor" but i took it out and showed them and they found it, i forget what they said it was called but w/e), it drove home fine with the new sensor. The idle was still around 1500 this morning. Besides that sensor, what is another reason why the idle might be so high on the first start of the day, while later on it will drop to around 1000? I havn't had the sensor in very long so i cant give much more info on how its working, ill know better tomorrow after my run to and from work, we'll see if she's gunna stall again. Is it idling at 1500 bad for the engine? Besides being harder on gas mileage?
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2007 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
It is normal for the idle to be higher on the first start. The ECM adds fuel because a cold engine needs to be richer than a warm engine. How long does it take for it to idle down to 1000 rpm?

The other sensor that plays a role in cold starts is the Coolant Temp Sensor for the ECM. I have read when it fails it faults to the full cold position (-40). If this is true then your car thinks its 40 below and tries to add fuel for that cold of a start. The result is a high idle of course. You can test the CTS the same way as the MAT (those little pins are even the same size, lol) Did I ask you before if you have a laptop? There is free software and a cheap DIY cable you can use to see all your sensor the ECM is looking at.

Can anyone confirm or refute the CTS failing to full cold? Would be nice to know. Here is the CTS:

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

It is normal for the idle to be higher on the first start. The ECM adds fuel because a cold engine needs to be richer than a warm engine. How long does it take for it to idle down to 1000 rpm?

The other sensor that plays a role in cold starts is the Coolant Temp Sensor for the ECM. I have read when it fails it faults to the full cold position (-40). If this is true then your car thinks its 40 below and tries to add fuel for that cold of a start. The result is a high idle of course. You can test the CTS the same way as the MAT (those little pins are even the same size, lol) Did I ask you before if you have a laptop? There is free software and a cheap DIY cable you can use to see all your sensor the ECM is looking at.

Can anyone confirm or refute the CTS failing to full cold? Would be nice to know. Here is the CTS:

Oh ok, ill give it a good run tomorrow. Before i do, i wanna be sure that its not harmful on the engine to let it idle at 1500rpm for awhile to see how long it takes to drop. Also, would it thinking the engine is colder (thus adding more fuel) give off a gas smell at all? I didn't really check, but i think i smelt a little gas today on its first start. Ill give it a good test tomorrow after work, i was a little hesitant at letting it run too long at 1500 before i knew if it was ok or not. What part of the engine am i looking at in that picture? Where is the CTS located exactly? I still got $100 left over from this paycheck so im hopeing getting this fixed wont run over that lol. Guess thats one of the risks at buying a 20yr old car, guess im lucky nothing bigger has gone wrong yet :P The big test will be to see if it stalls tomorrow. Does the depth at which the tip of the MAT sensor goes into the air fiilter houseing have any effect on the temperature it reads, cuz the tip doesn't go in as far on the newer sensor as it did on the old one.

edit: Oh ya, and i do have a laptop, its just sitting in the closet so this could be a good use for it. Please post the details of the software and cable if you could.

[This message has been edited by kawana (edited 07-24-2007).]

InaneCathode

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InaneCathodeSend a Private Message to InaneCathodeDirect Link to This Post
All you really need, what you really need, is to look at your ECM. I have a fuzzy feeling that'll help you out IMMENSELY.
Got an ecm, use it man use it gear heads from 30 years ago would kill to have that kind of diagnosis tool!
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by InaneCathode:

All you really need, what you really need, is to look at your ECM. I have a fuzzy feeling that'll help you out IMMENSELY.
Got an ecm, use it man use it gear heads from 30 years ago would kill to have that kind of diagnosis tool!

please explain HOW i use it lol, i got the laptop, how do i make the plug and what software do i use?
InaneCathode

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InaneCathodeSend a Private Message to InaneCathodeDirect Link to This Post
I have no freakin idea All i know is that with the cable and the software, you can look at your ecm. Once you can read the raw data you're golden
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
Pageing Hudini... got the information about the wire and software? Id like to give this a try. BTW, i think the new sensor did the trick, my idle was still at 1500, but it was moderatly cold out this morning, and after about 5-8min it dropped to 1000. NO STALLING!!! that made me very happy this morning lol, didn't stall or bog down when i gave it some gas. So im hopeing this problem is all done with. Thanks for the help with this issue.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock