Started on: 07-12-2007 11:46 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: hellbentkrusty on 07-17-2007 10:33 PM
arte444

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2007 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post
My alternator is hitting the strut tower on my 88 when I really nail the throttle. Kind of a cool spark show =). Anyone have pictures of a top mount for the 4.9 or maybe any engine swap? I'm thinking about using the dog mount location and coming up with something to mount to the head. Pictures would help extremely, but any ideas are welcome.

------------------
-Kyle
Email: kakagiraffe@gmail.com
Aim: Littlechugger
1988 Notchback 4.9 V8 5spd Isuzu True Dual Exhaust
1993 Ford Probe 5spd

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2007 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
4.9 with a dogbone, (mine)

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2007 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
You can sorta see mine in this picture - it basically goes from the head down to the cradle: not a 88, but you shoud be able to do something similar. Mine was a rear end link off a 2000 (or so) Grand Prix (made shorter), but I have also seen end links used from other cars (88 Fiero, and mostly imports).

You have to be careful when installing one to the top - as long as it is bolted to the head/block someplace along the lines you should be ok. If you just bolt it to the manifold, you could create another problem with coolant/oil leaks (the manifold is mounted using spring bolts, so any 'pressure' on it may cause it to move and then leak).

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 07-13-2007).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2007 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Here is a bad pic of the one I had. I might have a better pick of the bracket off the car at home. Basiclly it bolts to a couple bolt holes on the top of the intake AND has a bar that goes down the front of the head to bolt hole there.

Here is another pic

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 07-13-2007).]

arte444

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2007 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

4.9 with a dogbone, (mine)

Thats just the 4cyl dogbone with a custom bracket correct? I'm going to wish I didnt throw away 3 of those i bet lol.

------------------
-Kyle
1993 Ford Probe 5spd

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2007 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by arte444:

Thats just the 4cyl dogbone with a custom bracket correct? I'm going to wish I didnt throw away 3 of those i bet lol.

You will have to ask PBJ to be certain, but the dogbone itself appears to be a cut and re-welded trailing arm from an 88 suspension.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2007 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
The one in fieroguru picture looks like the 4 cyl dogbone...
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2007 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

Yes, it is the 4 cyl dogbone!
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2007 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Yes, but Arte444 quoted the pic of my car, which does not use the 4 cylinder dogbone.
FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2007 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Here is a bad pic of the one I had. I might have a better pick of the bracket off the car at home. Basiclly it bolts to a couple bolt holes on the top of the intake AND has a bar that goes down the front of the head to bolt hole there.

Here is another pic

Since the 4 cyl dogbone is readily available, it makes sense to use the bracket designed by fieroguru. Any drawings available? Are you making any more?

------------------
FierOmar

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2007 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, I don't have any drawings and have purged all 4.5/4.9's from my collection of parts, but the dogbone mount is made from 1 1/4 x 1/4" and 1" x 1/4" bar stock. The uprights that hold the dogbone are the plates that come with the Poly Engine Mounts - just cut them at the desired angle and weld. This mount is spaced about 5/8" to 3/4" above the intake runners to clear the plug where the Air Temp Sensor used to go.

Here is a pic installed before the uprights are welded on

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 07-15-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2007 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post

Sorry, I don't have any drawings and have purged all 4.5/4.9's from my collection of parts, but the dogbone mount is made from 1 1/4 x 1/4" and 1" x 1/4" bar stock. The uprights that hold the dogbone are the plates that come with the Poly Engine Mounts - just cut them at the desired angle and weld. This mount is spaced about 5/8" to 3/4" above the intake runners to clear the plug where the Air Temp Sensor used to go.

Here is a pic installed before the uprights are welded on

It looks like you may have used something other than a stock alternator. The adjusting bracket also looks different. As for the mount for the dogbone, it looks like you may have used a spacer on the top bolts to space it a bit higher off the intake manifold. (I don't see this as a problem since the bracket is secured at 3 points.) However, it appears that the spacer used for the top bolt that is situated towards the front of the engine has to be longer since (as I recall) the manifold at that point is depressed about an inch or so. Am I seeing things correctly?

If you did use another alternator, which one? Same for a;termatpr bracket?

------------------
FierOmar

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2007 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the bracket is "spaced" above the intake.

The alternator is an 88 fiero 2.5 alternator. The alternator bracket is a stock alternator bracket from late 80's FWD 2.5 engine. Other bracket - fabricated from 1 1/4 x 1/4" bar - bent into an "L" shape then two additional legs welded in place.

My engine did not come with the stock caddy alternator or bracket, so I had to get creative.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 07-15-2007).]

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2007 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Yes, the bracket is "spaced" above the intake.

The alternator is an 88 fiero 2.5 alternator. The alternator bracket is a stock alternator bracket from late 80's FWD 2.5 engine. Other bracket - fabricated from 1 1/4 x 1/4" bar - bent into an "L" shape then two additional legs welded in place.

I don't see why that alternator bracket would not work with the Caddy alternator (which would be a better choice as it has a higher output).

Where did you move the air temp sensor to??
hellbentkrusty

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2007 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hellbentkrustySend a Private Message to hellbentkrustyDirect Link to This Post
try mounting on other end ----see if this works for you caddy bracket

been a coupla years on this
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2007 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Where did you move the air temp sensor to??

I removed it and plugged the hole - not needed with the projection setup I was running. You could just drill the bracket to clear the air sensor.
arte444

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2007 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by hellbentkrusty:

try mounting on other end ----see if this works for you caddy bracket

been a coupla years on this

Some questions. Your mount is from a v6 right? Did this resolve any issues with the alternator since its on the other side of the block? How did you make the bracket to fasten against the opposite side?(or is that how v6 ones are)

------------------
-Kyle
1993 Ford Probe 5spd

arte444

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2007 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post

arte444

1510 posts
Member since Sep 2002
My 88 doesnt seem to have as much room as you guys =(. Maybe im just crazy though.

EDIT:
Yep i'm crazy. I should be able to get a mount in there, just making it is the hard part. =P

------------------
-Kyle
1993 Ford Probe 5spd

[This message has been edited by arte444 (edited 07-17-2007).]

hellbentkrusty

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2007 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hellbentkrustySend a Private Message to hellbentkrustyDirect Link to This Post
never had any issues with alt (using stock caddy)
its stock 6 cyl dog
i just used caddy bracket upside down for the mount

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock