Started on: 07-10-2007 08:53 PM
Replies: 23
Last post by: Toddster on 07-14-2007 11:43 AM
Mike Murphy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2007 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
Took down my T-Top headliner which was getting pretty ratty and after puting it back together with fiberglass resin and cloth I thought I had a pretty good basis as all of it was painted with the resin. Tonight I took my $10.99 square yard of headliner from Joann's Fabrics and sprayed adhesive on both the material and the board. It stuck immediately and looked very good. I left it in the garage for about 45 minutes to find that the edges had come loose and the entire liner was comming un-done. I used a general purpose adhesive was that my mistake or is glue going to have a problem with resin? It has cured 24 hours since I painted it.

Advise from those of you who have attempted this? Use a stronger adhesive? Topcoat the resin?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lurker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2007 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
i redid my headliner about 3 years ago and it looks as good as it did when i finished it. i used permatex headliner adhesive. sort of a spray-on contact cement. ive heard the 3m heavy duty adhesive works well too, but the regular spray adhesive lets go in weeks or months.
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2007 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
after fiberglassing, you MUST either lightly sand the surface, or wash it down good with acetone to remove the wax formed by the resin curing.
After that, I used regular brush on contact cement on the board, and the 3m spray contact on the headliner. I let both stand for about 15-20 minutes, then attached the headliner. you must let any contact adhesive skin properly first per the instructions, or it will not adhere well.
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2007 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
When I need spray glue, I use the 3M "Super Trim Adheisive". Use it for upholstery, sound deadening/insulating, etc. Good shtuff. If you don't get the "Super" it won't stay.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

America - made in China! :-(
Darrelk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2007 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarrelkClick Here to visit Darrelk's HomePageSend a Private Message to DarrelkDirect Link to This Post
All of the above, especially using the 3m Super stuff. Just always remember the way that any contact style cement optimally works is applying it to the two mating surfaces and waiting until the solvents evaporate ( glue will lose it gloss or shine) before making contact as was said before. That's the single biggest mistake most guys make when usng contact style glues.
Mike Murphy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2007 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
OK thanks for the advise. Looks like I sanded it down but maybe should have washed it with acetone and then put some time on the glue before mating the surfaces.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2007 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
If you look on the back of those general purpose adhesive sprays they say "Not for use on headliners". Get the stuff made for headliners. I've used several brands but all of them were specifically for the headliner. I did the same thing with the resin and sanding and wiping down too. Still hanging in there on 3 different cars.
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2007 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
the 3m spray I got at home depot says headliners in use. so I know I'm ok.
The biggest problem I;ve seen on spray/contact adhesive is people don';t let them tak up properly. it should be dried enough that you finger only barely sticks to it, if at all, almost like rubbery feeling.
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2007 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
Make sure the adhesive you use specifically states that it works for automotive headliners. Most of the general carpet adhesives will not hold up.
eph_kay

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2007 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayDirect Link to This Post
I don't mean to high jack in anyway, but I need to do my t-top head liner too, but where do you get your fiberglass resin? Also how do you get the material in and out of the main weather strip flap?

Thanks, and hope I didn't highjack, Chris
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2007 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Use DAP (Weldwood) Contact Adhesive (yellow original only...NOT the 'improved' white). Spray on both surfaces lightly and let it dry 5-10 minutes and then stick it on. It will never come down. This is what Ive used for years in all auto upholstery work. Also what the guy who does my upholstery work like convertible tops, etc uses. I also used it when I was building Class A motorhomes at Farber RVs/ Specialty Vehicles. None of the spray can stuff will hold for long when out in the sun, even if it says for headliners as many of you are already finding out. A pint can is only $3.00 at any hardware store. On the front it says for Formica Counter Tops and Cabinets. Ive done all my headliners and some have sat out closed up in hot summer sun for weeks and Ive NEVER had one come loose even in the smallest place. If you ever want to redo it, you have to cover over it because you cant get it back off even if you try (I have tried).

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 07-11-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2007 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
I'm with Roger, except that I always use the brush/roll on instead of the spray. I've had the spray absorb into the foam and show up on the good side of the headliner. I've had the spray throw big goobers out.

[This message has been edited by Joe Torma (edited 07-11-2007).]

jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2007 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Use DAP (Weldwood) Contact Adhesive (yellow original only...NOT the 'improved' white).

Yes, that's the stuff to use, follow the directions and advice given above and it'll never come down. I did use Weldwood Contact Adhesive on some "temporary" trunk hole patches a couple of years ago and it is holding so well that it's a pernament repair for all intent and purposes.

Show us some pictures when you're done with the project.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post07-11-2007 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
I,ve had bad luck with the sprays ,I use to buy and sell cars I lost money doing this but got to own a lot of cars I would have missed out on ,, I discovered that constrution panel adhesive works best,I use the heavy duty its cheap compared to other alternatives.my fiero has sat out in the florida sun for 6 years maybe 100 days it was under carport,and it still looks good . I used plastic for applicator, I cut from soda bottle and used dummy credit cards I recieve in mail for close area,s.. As I apply ahesive I press headliner cloth into place(no spray get on car interior,a thin layer work great . accompanied cloud maiden to fabric store one day and discovered grey felt(nappy stuff,no expert here) job went quickly and cleanly,cloud maiden gone but headliner still loyal (not as much fun) been planing to do visors 6 years oh well,any one know what works for the little rubbers that hold up visor???
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2007 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
What I do to spray it out of my paint gun, is add about a 1/4 can of paint thinner to it, mix thoughly and pour into the gun. It comes out all 'stringy like', and dont soak it. Set the pattern almost to round...not fanned, and start at one side and work to the other from about a foot away. You should get no soak thru or your putting it on too heavy. Ive done this with everything from crushed velvet to burlap and home shag carpet.
Mike Murphy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2007 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
Can I just use the same material I was using with a better adhesive? Or do I need to buy more? I will use some acetone on the fiberglass to clean it.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2007 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2007 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
If the fabric side of your material is still good, no reason you cant reuse it.
Fierari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2007 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierariSend a Private Message to FierariDirect Link to This Post
Whether or not the headliner material is still any good depends on how much the adhesive got inside the cells of the foam backer. If it's just on the surface it's probably fine but if it got inside it will stick the gaps in the cells together and make the surface look lumpy. I used the 3m 990 or whatever it was in the green/black rattle can and it's held up over a year now. It took an entire large can (sunroof version). As has been noted make sure you allow the solvents to flash completely before mating. you can put your finger on the surface and it will not stick nor feel wet. I did the headliner surface first to make sure it had enough drying time before mating just to double/triple not compressing the foam backer while mating.

[This message has been edited by Fierari (edited 07-11-2007).]

Mike Murphy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2007 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
OK got some good stuff made for headliners. 5 sec min wait time and once it sticks you are stuck. Even attaches itself to metal on the t-top frame and it is still there this morning. Kind of expensive at the local hardware store about $18 for a spray can.
Whuffo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2007 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoDirect Link to This Post
Best thing for headliners is 3M 8088 spray adhesive. It holds them up perfectly. If you want some overkill, try 3M 8090.

The big problem with other adhesives is that they can't take high temperatures. Once their max temperature is exceeded, the adhesive bond fails and your headliner comes down. Even the contact adhesives that some recommend - make sure they're good for high temperatures before using them.
PFF
System Bot
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2007 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
I've replaced 3 headliners (in 3 different GT's!) and used the 3m spray adheasive of the headliner material and contact cement on the board itself. This way you get the extra strength of using the paintable contact and no "bleed throughs" on the fabric side because you used the spray which is much lighter. Both products need about 20 minutes to apply together after. Never had a problem falling down after! Also, I always paint the board itself with 3 to 5 coats of minwax polyurethane. Stiffens it up so it's not so brittle when your trying to get it back in!
Good luck, Marc
GT86

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2007 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86Send a Private Message to GT86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Use DAP (Weldwood) Contact Adhesive (yellow original only...NOT the 'improved' white). Spray on both surfaces lightly and let it dry 5-10 minutes and then stick it on. It will never come down. This is what Ive used for years in all auto upholstery work. Also what the guy who does my upholstery work like convertible tops, etc uses. I also used it when I was building Class A motorhomes at Farber RVs/ Specialty Vehicles. None of the spray can stuff will hold for long when out in the sun, even if it says for headliners as many of you are already finding out. A pint can is only $3.00 at any hardware store. On the front it says for Formica Counter Tops and Cabinets. Ive done all my headliners and some have sat out closed up in hot summer sun for weeks and Ive NEVER had one come loose even in the smallest place. If you ever want to redo it, you have to cover over it because you cant get it back off even if you try (I have tried).

The DAP is what I use. I've never found a spray can adhesive that holds up to Arizona summers. The best I ever got out of the 3M was 2 days.

I've used the DAP on 4 different cars, and even after 3 years of 110+ degrees, the headliners aren't loose at all.

[This message has been edited by GT86 (edited 07-14-2007).]

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2007 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
When putting up a new headliner in a T-Top be sure to use dowls at the thin corners near the dome light assembly. I use cut up pieces of a coat hanger and glue. Run them INSIDE the headliner to strengthen the corners. Then glue the material on.

Material and glue available from here:
http://www.atrim.com/Page199g.html

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock