Started on: 07-04-2007 09:54 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Mike Murphy on 07-07-2007 09:01 PM
Mike Murphy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2007 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
Doing some upgrades on the DOHC 3.4 coupe and thought as long as I'm adding power windows, locks and mirrors I might as well add the sub woofer too but is it compatible with the Pontiac Monsoon CD player I have now?

I'm swapping the 88 dash for an 84 light grey to go with my Pace Car interior so running the wiring proper behind the dash will be as it should.

Can't wait until the rest of the car looks as good as it does from the back.

[This message has been edited by Mike Murphy (edited 07-04-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Whuffo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2007 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoDirect Link to This Post
It works fine - you'll just need to make a power connection to the subwoofer amp. The two pink wires coming from the amp should be +12 V to power the amp; on the stock stereo this power comes from the power antenna circuit on the head unit. The Monsoon unit doesn't have enough power available on that lead so a change in wiring is needed.

If you're using the GM adapter to make it match the Fiero wiring it's a simple cut / spice operation to get the sub working.
Mike Murphy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2007 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
Fortunattely I have the complete harness & setup from the slider to the radio harness, amp and subwoofer so it should be plug & play. Just need to figure out the sub-woofer mounting which should not be hard as I have an 86 SE with the factory setup. With the exception of powering the sub right?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Mike Murphy (edited 07-05-2007).]

tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2007 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
the only thing you ma need is a differrent lower ac/heater duct housing, some did not have the mount for the factory subwoofer housing. it is very obvious if it is there or not when you slipp the subwoofer into place. if there is no place to put the sheetmetal screw/washer thru that braket, you need another housing, or need to fab up a simple brcket.
Whuffo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2007 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Murphy:

Fortunattely I have the complete harness & setup from the slider to the radio harness, amp and subwoofer so it should be plug & play. Just need to figure out the sub-woofer mounting which should not be hard as I have an 86 SE with the factory setup. With the exception of powering the sub right?

Thanks

Right - everything is plug and play except the power feed to the subwoofer. When you pull the subwoofer harness from the SE, you'll find that one of its connectors is screwed to the heater air box. When you install the harness it can't go there - the Monsoon unit is deeper than the stock stereo and there isn't room for those large connectors behind it. You'll have to reroute the wiring a bit to make it all fit.

Mike Murphy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2007 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
OK got the dash pulled. Ran my additional harness for the mirrors, windows and sub and found my fuse block had issues. Apparently previous owner must have fried part of the holder by putting in too big of fuse and that explains why there were 2 fuse holders that by passed the block. With all the work I have done on this car I refuse to jury rig it back together so I need a replacement fuse block. There is a number at the bottom edge of it...4873A and it is on an 88 Coupe. I have an older one but most of the descriptive script is faded. Anyone nearby have one from an 88? This is the block under the dash on the drivers side.

Also I had 2 subwoofer housings of which one had a sub inside but poorly mounted. Looks like it is not the correct size. Fiero Store? Rodney?

[This message has been edited by Mike Murphy (edited 07-07-2007).]

racer37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2007 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racer37Send a Private Message to racer37Direct Link to This Post
I have a fuse block for an 87 coupe, I will trade for a sunroof latch assembly. Scott
Mike Murphy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2007 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
Scott:

What parts do you need? I may have them. What number is on the face of the block?
racer37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2007 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racer37Send a Private Message to racer37Direct Link to This Post
Number on the block is 4873A. I need the entire latch assembly, both parts that go on the glass and the inside of the roof. Do you want the entire chassis harness. If you cover shipping I will send the entire harness, I just don't know what it weighs. Scott
Mike Murphy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2007 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
No don't need the entire harness most just the block. Pretty sure I have the latch assembly let me go look tonight.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock