Crane has new 2.8, 3.1, 3.4 cams.... by merlot566jka
Started on: 07-02-2007 12:32 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: americasfuture2k on 08-02-2007 02:50 PM
merlot566jka

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2007 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for merlot566jkaSend a Private Message to merlot566jkaDirect Link to This Post
looking up my 272 today, saw some new cams. higher lift, better lsa.....take a look www.cranecams.com
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2007 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
didn't look yet -
are these alum head motor specific? rollers?
AquaHusky

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2007 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AquaHuskySend a Private Message to AquaHuskyDirect Link to This Post
This might come in handy when I rebuild the 3.1 before dropping it into my 88.
merlot566jka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2007 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for merlot566jkaSend a Private Message to merlot566jkaDirect Link to This Post
says with distributor.... not roller. they use the 99838 spring instead of the 99848, i didnt really look into it too much but the springs they suggest for the new cams seem to be lower spring rate, install press, yet have a higher max lift rating of .690

btw, i used to use the profile 'americasfuture2k'. that is my brothers profile, he totaled his corvette and was in a coma for a while. i had bought hima fiero and was trying to build it up for him, then he wrecked his vette. so i was using his profile, got addicted and bought an 87 gt. many of you have seen my build thread on my 3.4 under the name americasfuture2k. my brother is great now and back to work for the navy in tx, but soon to be discharged due to the medical situtation. please understand that speed kills, and i hope none of you have to go through what he and my family have. i couldnt bear to see another person look the way he did in the hospital. please be careful
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2007 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post
Caveat emptor.

The Crane Cams' grind numbers for the 60-degree V-6 may be new, and at least some of their SPRINGS for those cams may be new, but it appears the cams themselves are not.

For example, take Crane's H-260-2 cam grind number that replaces their HMV-260-2 cam grind number. Its intake/exhaust durations @ 0.050" are 204 and 216 degrees, and its intake/exhausts valve lifts are .427"/.454". Those specifications are IDENTICAL to the GM cam listed on page 114 of the GM Performance Parts Catalog --- from 1997.

I wouldn't be surprised if Crane made that cam for GM. My point, however, is that it was available through GM in 1997, so it doesn't appear to be a new Crane cam.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2007 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Is there a generally accepted "best" cam for a turbo 3.4L pushrod engine? Would it be one of the Crane Cams listed?
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2007 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefDirect Link to This Post
I looked at them and only saw two new cams. They are both solid lift. Don't think they would be good for a daily driver but would be awsome for a weekend warrior. They would work nice with my 3.4 when I get the 3500 heads and intake installed.

------------------

85 GT 3.4
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60' Old TH125/3.06
Unknown New 4T60/3.42

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2007 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by merlot566jka:

says with distributor.... not roller. they use the 99838 spring instead of the 99848, i didnt really look into it too much but the springs they suggest for the new cams seem to be lower spring rate, install press, yet have a higher max lift rating of .690

btw, i used to use the profile 'americasfuture2k'. that is my brothers profile, he totaled his corvette and was in a coma for a while. i had bought hima fiero and was trying to build it up for him, then he wrecked his vette. so i was using his profile, got addicted and bought an 87 gt. many of you have seen my build thread on my 3.4 under the name americasfuture2k. my brother is great now and back to work for the navy in tx, but soon to be discharged due to the medical situtation. please understand that speed kills, and i hope none of you have to go through what he and my family have. i couldnt bear to see another person look the way he did in the hospital. please be careful

ya, dont do what i did. i still have some soreness in places. and i lost some memory, lost everything i owned, and still can not smell or taste food right. if someone wants to send me a hot girl to give me a back rub, do it!
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2007 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

ya, dont do what i did. i still have some soreness in places. and i lost some memory, lost everything i owned, and still can not smell or taste food right. if someone wants to send me a hot girl to give me a back rub, do it!

Welcome back! Take it easy with that Fiero now. Sorry, I don't have a hot girl so I dadgum sure can't send you one. I'll send you the 2nd one I run across.......
merlot566jka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2007 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for merlot566jkaSend a Private Message to merlot566jkaDirect Link to This Post
dood.... u are single and have every oppertunity to get 100 biatchs a night. u cant taste or smell, so go get some stank!
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2007 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

Is there a generally accepted "best" cam for a turbo 3.4L pushrod engine? Would it be one of the Crane Cams listed?

The absence of any answer to your questions in over a week suggests to me that the answer to the first one at least, is simply, "No."

Maybe your questions should be the subject of a new thread, as the title of the current thread wouldn't suggest it will address the question, "Cams for Turbo 3.4L pushrod engines?"

I've some turbo cam suggestions I could post here, Hudini, but if you started a new thread citing the above question or a similar one, it might generate more useful responses about 3.4L turbo cams than would seem likely with the present thread.
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2007 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

I think the CompCams 260 grind is the best off the shelf cam for a turbo.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2007 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:

The absence of any answer to your questions in over a week suggests to me that the answer to the first one at least, is simply, "No."

Maybe your questions should be the subject of a new thread, as the title of the current thread wouldn't suggest it will address the question, "Cams for Turbo 3.4L pushrod engines?"

I've some turbo cam suggestions I could post here, Hudini, but if you started a new thread citing the above question or a similar one, it might generate more useful responses about 3.4L turbo cams than would seem likely with the present thread.

I did just kind of throw it out there, didn't I? Since the thread was kind of "info" only and not a true tech question I thought I might see if anyone had any favorites. Since I'm pretty far away from a new cam I'll just be quiet and watch what other folks use in their swaps.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2007 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by merlot566jka:

dood.... u are single and have every oppertunity to get 100 biatchs a night. u cant taste or smell, so go get some stank!

lmfao. dood, i dont wanna catch the hiv or have my dick fall off. no smelly bitches for me. even though i wont beable to tell, let me know damnit!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock