automatic shift knob swap? by dcfox
Started on: 07-01-2007 10:30 PM
Replies: 30
Last post by: Pr3claTol2 on 11-24-2007 02:54 PM
dcfox

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2007 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxDirect Link to This Post
Ok...I hate the stock knob.It's just huge.

How difficult would it be to swap one of these 2 in?

This one is a Camaro knob...

This one is a Corvette knob...

Would these be a fairly easy swap?
Or is this just wishful thinking?

If these won't work...any pics and/or suggestions for an alternative?

------------------
--David

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tampalinc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2007 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tampalincSend a Private Message to tampalincDirect Link to This Post
I have the Camaro knob on my car now. It takes less then a minute to install.

I am in the process of cutting and shortening the shifter, because I don't like how high the shifter sits.
DtheC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2007 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DtheCSend a Private Message to DtheCDirect Link to This Post
I'm using the 1st type, somebody said it came off a firebird, works great. I also tried the 'Snake Head' with the button up underneith in front. It's way to hucking fuge.

Dang that vette knob looks nice, does it have a slot for the 'U' shaped retainer clip? I can't see anything in the photo.

------------------
Ol' Paint, 88 Base coupe auto.
Turning white on top, like owner.
Leaks a little, like owner.
Doesn't smoke, unlike owner

dcfox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2007 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tampalinc:

I have the Camaro knob on my car now. It takes less then a minute to install.

I am in the process of cutting and shortening the shifter, because I don't like how high the shifter sits.

do either of you possibly have a pic of the Camaro knob installed in your Fiero?

DtheC...neither pic I have shows the slot for the clip...I'm not sure what holds the Vette knob on.

[This message has been edited by dcfox (edited 07-01-2007).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2007 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
That Camaro knob you're showing was also used on the Beretta, Corsica and a couple other cars. It's "plug-n-play" in the Fiero. I'm not sure about the Corvette knob, though.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2007 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Here's the Camaro knob in my Fiero.

Edit - Actually, this one is covered with leather. I'm not sure what it came from but it's shaped exactly like the Camaro knob.

To remove the knob, take a small screwdriver or the tip of a knife blade, and pry the C-clip out from the front. It looks like a long wire staple, and goes straight in to the front of the knob, down towards the bottom. Then pull the knob straight up.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe -soon to be something other than red

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-02-2007).]

kyote

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2007 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kyoteClick Here to visit kyote's HomePageSend a Private Message to kyoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dcfox:
...neither pic I have shows the slot for the clip...I'm not sure what holds the Vette knob on.

Actually.. the 1st pic does show the slot.........

------------------

'86 Fastback SE 5 spd -'00 HD 1200XL Sportster -'99 Chevy K-1500 Z-71

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2007 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
Billet Aluminum shifter for automatic.
Advance Auto Parts.
Approx. $20
10 minutes to install

DtheC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2007 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DtheCSend a Private Message to DtheCDirect Link to This Post

do either of you possibly have a pic of the Camaro knob installed in your Fiero?
DtheC...neither pic I have shows the slot for the clip...I'm not sure what holds the Vette knob on.

I'm not 100% convinced you would need the clip, the pushbutton doesn't take a whole lott'a force if evereything's working correctly. It may cut down on theft, it took me forever to figure out how to remove mine. Kind of a DOH moment when I looked at the replacement knob and saw the slot & clip.
Shortening the shift arm is probably the way to go if you have a CD player. The camero is way beter than the stock shifter as far as size and everything, but I'm thinking that the shifter could be 1" to as much as 2" lower, and still look OK. More than 2" might look 'odd' just not a esthetic pleasing, to me at least.
There is a thread out there on how to shorten the automatic shift arm, it didn't seem too complicated. I just have too many other little projects for Ol' Paint right now.
dcfox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2007 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kyote:

Actually.. the 1st pic does show the slot.........

I meant neither pic I have of the Corvette knob shows a slot...I know the Camaro knob has the slot.
That Corvette knob would be perfect if I knew it would mount right up.
The leather covered Camaro knob would also be awesome.
I'm kinda worried that the vinyl/plastic Camaro knob will look cheesy.
I like the billet knob...but it's still too tall.
I guess I need to check into shortening the shifter arm...then get a knob.

DtheC is right on track...cd player access is a major concern...along with the monstrosity sitting on top of the shift arm.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2007 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
The Corvette knob probably uses a c-clip under the button to hold it on. You would have to replace the shaft, or cut a groove into the Fiero shaft to accept the Corvette knob if this is the case.
PFF
System Bot
dcfox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2007 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxDirect Link to This Post
Well...now that I look at the pics again...that billet knob doesn't really look any taller than the Camaro knob.
I checked about 5 local parts stores yesterday(including 2 Advance stores) and couldn't find that knob.
The only automatic knobs I found were one billet one that was really weird shaped...and absolutely huge,and one with a bunch of bling jewels all over it.
The search continues.

------------------
--David

Black '86 GT-under construction
Silver '87 GT-daily driver

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2007 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Well...now that I look at the pics again...that billet knob doesn't really look any taller than the Camaro knob.
I checked about 5 local parts stores yesterday(including 2 Advance stores) and couldn't find that knob.
The only automatic knobs I found were one billet one that was really weird shaped...and absolutely huge,and one with a bunch of bling jewels all over it.
The search continues.

I am 100% certain that I bought my billet shift handle from Advance / Discount Auto
You might try taking a look online, or ask the store to look it up for you.
The one I have came with 3-4 different sets of colored o-rings that were supposed to go on the shifter...I left them off, it looks better

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 07-04-2007).]

dcfox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2007 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Randye...I'll look into it.
This giant T-handle has got to go...soon.
dcfox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2007 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxDirect Link to This Post

dcfox

1570 posts
Member since Apr 2007
dcfox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2007 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxDirect Link to This Post

dcfox

1570 posts
Member since Apr 2007
Well...I searched and searched...
I hit 2 more Advance stores today...and a couple Autozone stores.
At the 2nd Autozone I scored.
Not the same as yours...but for $10 I figured I would give it a shot.
You push down on the whole knob instead of having a button.
It works great but I definitely need to shorten the shifter arm.
I looked at it and I don't think its going to be that hard to do.

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2007 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Is this it randye?

http://www.partsamerica.com...18&CategoryCode=3349

Yes Sir!
Thats the one.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2007 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13819 posts
Member since Mar 2006

Well...I searched and searched...
I hit 2 more Advance stores today...and a couple Autozone stores.
At the 2nd Autozone I scored.
Not the same as yours...but for $10 I figured I would give it a shot.
You push down on the whole knob instead of having a button.
It works great but I definitely need to shorten the shifter arm.
I looked at it and I don't think its going to be that hard to do.

Ohhhhh!
I like that one a lot better!
Details and part number???
dcfox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2007 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxDirect Link to This Post
Here you go randye...

[This message has been edited by dcfox (edited 07-04-2007).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2007 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Here you go randye...

Thank You!
For $10, it's more than worth trying it out.
Plus, that style might work better with my interior.
dcfox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2007 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxDirect Link to This Post
Ok...5 minutes and a hacksaw...and we have 100% improvement.
I took 1 1/2" off of the shift rod.I think I could have probably gone another 1/2" to 3/4".

PFF
System Bot
FIER086

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2007 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIER086Send a Private Message to FIER086Direct Link to This Post

Ok...5 minutes and a hacksaw...and we have 100% improvement.
I took 1 1/2" off of the shift rod.I think I could have probably gone another 1/2" to 3/4".

That looks really good for an auto. I might have to do something like that.
Did you cut through the shaft and the plastic thing.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2007 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
The plastic thing will have to stick up above whatever level you cut the shaft so it can be depressed and come out of park. I would imagine just cut it to stick up the same amount as before, i.e. 1" or 1.5" or whatever it is stock. I like this mod too and will be searching locally for mine.
dcfox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2007 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxDirect Link to This Post
When you pull the shift knob off...you can just lift the plastic rod out.
I then cut the shaft,and used the piece I cut off as a measurement to see how much to cut off of the plastic rod.

Now asking for opinions...do I attempt to take another 1/2 to 3/4 inch off...or leave it like it is now?
dcfox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2007 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxDirect Link to This Post

dcfox

1570 posts
Member since Apr 2007
You could actually do this mod using the factory shift knob,or one like the Camaro knob...but it would take a little more work.
What you would have to do,after cutting off the shaft...is use a dremel or other cutting tool...to notch the rod back like it was originally.

Again...this wouldn't be that hard...just a little more time consuming.
Even though this shift knob uses a ring held in place by set screws to hold it in place instead of the c-clip...I may go ahead and notch mine just in case I ever want to go back with a factory style or Camaro style knob.

Here's the piece I cut off to show what you would have to duplicate.

3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2007 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
I am going to be swapping an automatic into my Fiero soon and I like the shifter mod that you did.
The nice thing about this shifter is, I can install it now, even though I have a manual.
The only surprise that I saw, was the price. I was charged $21.00 at Auto Zone, not $10.00
dcfox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2007 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxDirect Link to This Post
They tried that on me.
It was marked $9.99 on the hanger peg(checked the part # to make sure...and they matched).
When he rang it up it scanned at $19.99.I pushed the issue a bit and he sold it to me for what it was marked on the shelf.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2007 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

They tried that on me.
It was marked $9.99 on the hanger peg(checked the part # to make sure...and they matched).
When he rang it up it scanned at $19.99.I pushed the issue a bit and he sold it to me for what it was marked on the shelf.

They hosed me for the full price on the one I bought today !
The space on the rack was marked $19.99 though.
Gotta love clerks mis-marking merchandise
Still worth the $20 though. I like this one better than the all aluminum one I have installed now.
Thanks for the heads-up on this one!

Randy
dcfox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2007 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxDirect Link to This Post
To be honest...I would have payed the $20 also.

Hey Randye...Fieromaniac needs your billet knob to match his dash build.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2007 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

To be honest...I would have payed the $20 also.

Hey Randye...Fieromaniac needs your billet knob to match his dash build.

I'm already on it
Offered it to him him free if he wants it.
It would look great on that console build of his!
Pr3claTol2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pr3claTol2Send a Private Message to Pr3claTol2Direct Link to This Post
Sweet guys I just bought one of those black and silver shift knobs on ebay for 4 bucks. With shipping it was 8.88. I'm gonna do the chop to the rod as well and have a nice looking shifter like the one in this thread. I highly agree that that T-handle has to GO soon and shortening the knob an inch or more will look way sleek.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock