Vac U Fill by AJxtcman
Started on: 05-06-2007 07:00 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Curlrup on 05-08-2007 08:45 AM
AJxtcman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2007 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
This is the way I fill my cooling system.
I can drive it immediately after the fill.
The GE-47716 Coolant Refill System (also referred to as the Vac-n-Fill) is an essential tool, shipped to dealers in November 2004 (fig. 1). This tool is used when refilling a cooling system that has been drained.

In many cases, simply pouring fresh coolant into the cooling system allows a certain amount of trapped air to remain in the cooling system. Typically, thermal-cycling the engine (warm-up and cool-down) helps purge this air. But on some engines, there are remote pockets where air may be trapped. Using the Vac-n-Fill removes all air from the cooling system.

A venturi assembly in the tool uses high-pressure shop air to create a vacuum in the vacuum tank on the top of the tool. The vacuum is then applied to the cooling system. Once the vacuum is maximized (indicated by the built-in gauge), a release valve allows the vacuum to draw fresh coolant from the tool’s reservoir into the system. One or two repetitions of this process will usually fill the cooling system and will purge all air.

I hook it up to an empty system and then suck it down to 20 to 26"

Then I let it draw the coolant in
Then I suck it back down to as low as possible
This draws out a lot of air.

When the needle stops moving and it is between 25 and 30" I let it refill again

This take about 5 minutes total time and no air is left in the system. If I think I may have left some in I just suck it down again.

------------------
Cadillac Tech
ASE MASTER TECH since 1988

86 Northstar Fiero
85 RX7 former SCCA car
56 TR3 small mouth 6.0L
Formerly Washougal WA Resident
A.J. Whiteley

[This message has been edited by AJxtcman (edited 05-06-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Red97

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2007 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red97Send a Private Message to Red97Direct Link to This Post
were can i get one and how much?
FIERO1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2007 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO1985Send a Private Message to FIERO1985Direct Link to This Post
They have been on the market for many many years now. search for the tool name air lift and you will get some options for purchase I believe they were the inventors of this item. I think mighty vac also carries a version of this but there are many companies who have built off this design and operation. IMHO this is the only way to fill a fiero I used it on my v8 all the time and never once had air in the system

------------------
3800sc XP Hot Cam, Comp Pushrods, Comp Lifters, Stage 3 Blower,Ported Lower Manifold, N* Throttle Body, LS1 MAF, Ported Heads,.052 Cometic 4 Layer Headgaskets, Stage 2 ZZP Intercooler, 2.6 Pulley, SLP Headers. Elimislip Pulley Set up, 42.5 Lucas Injectors, Custom Tune! Ahhhhh.....yeah

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2007 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
The GM tool is stupid money. $800.
An air lift without the tank does not work the same.
I own an air lift and I have adapted it to a vacuum tank. You can make one or of PVC pipe.
Curlrup

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2007 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post
BE VERY VERY CAREFUL BUILDING PRESSURE OR VACCUM CHAMBERS FROM PVC!! In my job I use vaccum and preasure tanks everyday. I had one preasure tank that was 5 feet tall and 2 feet round. I had it explode in my face a few years back. After my near death experience, I learned that PVC especially PVC that is stressed from preasure or vaccum, and PVC that coudl come in contact with petrolium products weakens over time and will explode or collapse under stress. The pipe bomb that blew up on me was 5 years old and was subjetcted to a lot of Urethane and petrol solvents. Just a warning build a fresh vac chamber use it a few times and toss it. PVC pipe is cheap enough to do this. Just trying to save some eyes, hearing, and fingers.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock