Nobody sells Fiero Touch-up Paint! by FIER086
Started on: 04-18-2007 07:11 PM
Replies: 34
Last post by: rogergarrison on 11-27-2007 03:45 PM
FIER086

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2007 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIER086Send a Private Message to FIER086Direct Link to This Post
I went to a local Pontiac/GM dealer searching for a match for my silver paint so I could do some minor touch ups and I told the guy it was a Fiero and he laughs and says that you cant get that color anymore! He basically told me that I wont be able to find an exact match anywhere. Is this true or have you guys had good luck with a certain type. I also went to NAPA and Advance Auto same answer. I think my code is either 16U or WA9004, its the metallic silver.

------------------
Led Zeppelin and Fieros go well together.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
AutoTech

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2007 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post
www.PPGCarPaint.com

WA9004 is the factory code, 3880 is PPG's code.
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2007 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
www.paintscratch.com has good quality touch-up paint, rattle cans included however $.
FIER086

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2007 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIER086Send a Private Message to FIER086Direct Link to This Post
Sweet I think I remember these sites from before. The guy made it seem it was impossible to get Fiero touch-up paint. I wonder why dealers dont sell this kind of paint.
Anywho thanks for the info.

------------------
Led Zeppelin and Fieros go well together.

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2007 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Finding it online isn't hard, or even at your local paint shop. It WILL be expensive, though.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

Bradester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2007 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BradesterSend a Private Message to BradesterDirect Link to This Post
What about dash color touch up paint? My interior is the camel/tan color and there are a few spots on the dash where people's feet rubbed that I would sure like to fix.

------------------
-Brady

project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2007 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bradester:

What about dash color touch up paint? My interior is the camel/tan color and there are a few spots on the dash where people's feet rubbed that I would sure like to fix.

Bradester, for the arm rests of my `86 GT, I've used a 12-ounce spray can of something called "Tempo Professional Choice," followed by the incongruous words, "Custom Color Universal Blend." Also preprinted on the can's label are "No. 865 Universal Blend." However, I don't know if that identifies the product per se, or the COLOR of the product. In addition, someone has handwritten on the can, "Lt. Saddle GM," although I think Pontiac may have actually referred to this color as "Camel" on the Fiero.

In any case, the color matches my armrests and door panel nicely, and presumably would match at least part of your dash, depending upon which section of your dash it is that you're referencing. (In stock form, my dash is two-toned, and part of it matches the shade of my car's arm rests, but other parts of it are much darker.)
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2007 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bradester:

Several years ago I went to an auto paint supplier and had a small batch of interior paint made my 87 GTs gray interior. They were able to match it up very well. I used it to paint the plastic seat belt seat covers which new ones came in a tan cover. A pint of the stuff when kept in a tight container lasted for years.
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2007 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
The guys an idiot, you can walk into Walmart, or Meijer and find any color you need in the little brush pens. These are normal GM colors, nothing special. If you really cant find it, you might have to go as far as actualy going to a parts store, lol.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2007 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

you can walk into Walmart, or Meijer and find any color you need in the little brush pens.

I'm sorry, but why do people make statements like these?

Kevin
kslish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2007 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kslishSend a Private Message to kslishDirect Link to This Post
When I lived in Pittsburgh I used to go to my local auto paint supply store (Lloyd's Auto Paint in McKees Rocks, PA) and get bottles of touch up paint custom mixed there all the time. Cost about $6 but that was at least four years ago so it may be more now. All they do is punch the color code into a computerized mixing machine and after a few minutes you have a bottle of touch up ready to go. That was the only place I was ever able to get touch up paint for the darker silver on the lower aero body pieces on the '85-'87 GT's (try finding that at Wal-Mart). Can't see why a decent sized paint supply store in your area wouldn't have the same capability.

Ken S.
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2007 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
I have a silver Fiero also. The official GM color for my car is Silver Frost. I found spray cans and touch up pens at Wal-Mart and Advance. It matches perfect.

Jim.
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2007 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

Kevin

Well, unless you want to pay to have a pint mixed, the smallest amount you can get comes in the little tubes. They have a pen tip on one side and a little brush on the other. They work great, and match great, at least on the cars I've used them on. Usualy just touch the pen end and it will flow out to fill the chip. Over fill a little and you can wet sand it to make a near invisible repair.

I said walmart meijer to illustrate how easy they are to find, they are available pretty much everywhere with an automotive section, and touch up paint for Fieros is by no means hard to come by. Its the same enamel paint you're going to get anywhere, unless, like I said, you have some mixed at a paint shop.
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2007 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

Well, unless you want to pay to have a pint mixed, the smallest amount you can get comes in the little tubes.

Another bit of misinformation....

I needed a certain color for a vehicle I was working on a few years ago, and they do not even make it in "the little tubes". The local Oreilly's mixed me up a 2oz batch, in a bottle, that had a brush attached inside the lid. It was about 8 bucks. I'm sure they are no one special. I'm not trying to hark on anyone, but people should not just spout out info, if they are not 100% sure that info is correct.

Kevin

Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2007 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

I have a silver Fiero also. The official GM color for my car is Silver Frost. I found spray cans and touch up pens at Wal-Mart and Advance. It matches perfect.

Jim.

I'll agree the Dupli-color silver frost is very close match to our silver mettalic.

Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2007 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

Gokart

4635 posts
Member since May 99

Originally posted by FIER086:
I went to a local Pontiac/GM dealer searching for a match for my silver paint so I could do some minor touch ups and I told the guy it was a Fiero and he laughs and says that you cant get that color anymore! He basically told me that I wont be able to find an exact match anywhere. Is this true or have you guys had good luck with a certain type. I also went to NAPA and Advance Auto same answer. I think my code is either 16U or WA9004, its the metallic silver.

I had two quarts of 9004 base coat mixed at NAPA for my stage 2 project and I have plenty left over. I'll send you a little if you like. Send me a pm if your interested. Keep in mind though silver is very difficult to perfectly match and yours may be slightly different than mine depending on fade, etc.

------------------

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2007 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
You can get touch up by the pint at any automotive paint store for anything. I got paint with no problem for a 34 Lincoln. 80s is a piece of cake. While your there you can even pick up a few bottles that have brushes built in the caps to keep it in or a refillable spray can you can pump up with air hose or propellant can.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2007 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
I am going thru this now too. You cannot get WA 9004 in a spray can at NAPA, CARQUEST, AUTOZONE, or theGM DEALER. None of them list that number in their books at all. They say they can mix it but it will come in a can and you'll have to buy a gun.

I will look for this Silver Frost Duplicolor, sounds like two people agree its real close. I'm just doing a spoiler with it. I sure will not buy a gun for that.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2007 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007
Does anyone know the part number for duplicolor Silver frost?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2007 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
You should be close enough with any silver touch up pens you find in the store. These cars are over 20 years old and paint fades different wherever you live. Its even different on the same car - side to side or top to side by now. Silver and gold are the fastest fading colors, so chances are good that unless its been in a garage for the whole time, no silver is going to be a perfect match anyway.
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2007 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
WA9004 Here as well:

http://www.automotivetouchu...c&model=All%20Models

Here's a site with Duplicolor:

http://www.marketelf.com/pr...aspx?id_category=138

They have a metallic silver, listed as GM 9021. Don't know how close that is to 9004.

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
Over 120 Fiero Links, Articles, Images, Diagnostics

"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 07-23-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2007 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

Kevin

Because it works. I can use one of those touch up pens and make an invisible repair. Done it for years and I can touch up with those cheapies better than any of the on site paint repair guys.

DtheC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DtheCSend a Private Message to DtheCDirect Link to This Post
I've seen the touch up paint selections at Walmart, there are quite a few diferent reds. I couldn't find a sales associate that could help much, not that I was suprised or any thing. There didn't seam to be any way of reference, unlike that computerised thingee for filters etc. What color comes closest to the plain old brite red, not medium red metalic, used on Fieros?

------------------
Ol' Paint, 88 Base coupe auto.
Turning white on top, like owner.
Leaks a little, like owner.
Doesn't smoke, unlike owner

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
WA8774 is close enough.
Whuffo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DtheC:

I've seen the touch up paint selections at Walmart, there are quite a few diferent reds. I couldn't find a sales associate that could help much, not that I was suprised or any thing. There didn't seam to be any way of reference, unlike that computerised thingee for filters etc. What color comes closest to the plain old brite red, not medium red metalic, used on Fieros?

Just look for paint code 81 - it's one of GM's common colors. It's been called different things over the years, but they still put it on new cars today.
pswayne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pswayneSend a Private Message to pswayneDirect Link to This Post
There's probably a Duplicolor match for your paint. Their website only goes back to 1990, so finding it may be tricky. But I found that their DSGM398 exactly matches the red on my 86 SE.
Pr3claTol2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2007 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pr3claTol2Send a Private Message to Pr3claTol2Direct Link to This Post
I know this thread is a little old but rather than starting a new thread i just searched for this one. I have an 86 Gold SE that has some touching up I'd like to do to the front bumper. Am I going to be happy with a pen from walmart or should i look into getting a spray of some sort? Also will the gold look good once it's applied. I'm just worried that it won't match correctly because it's well, gold.
Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2007 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

WA8774 is close enough.

That is for the 88 Fiero's bright red
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2007 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
They couldn't find it for you? I went to pep boys (I go there alot but they have the worst service in the world) and the guy came out to the parking lot, read my fender option tag, found WA 8554, walked back in the store, took it off the rack, took me to the check out, and $5.99 later I had no more chips.
crazyd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2007 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
I went thru the same thing at Schuck's for my silver GT. Had the guy try to tell me that WA 9004 was the "Washington State" paint code. He got really pissy when I called him out on that BS until the manager overheard all this and told him I was right and that it was just a GM paint code. Never did find a match for it.

------------------

- Electron Blue '88 GT 5-speed (1 of 1): Before After 430hp ZZ430 V8/Ram-Port FI--Wanna Race? Follow it here on the Forum!
Pics, Vids, Specs & more at the ZZ430 Fiero webpage
- Silver '88 GT 5-speed (1 of 139) w/cammed 3.4
- LT4 6-speed C4 Corvette Roadster
- LS1 6-speed C5 Corvette Roadster

[This message has been edited by crazyd (edited 11-26-2007).]

Wii Bird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2007 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wii BirdClick Here to visit Wii Bird's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wii BirdDirect Link to This Post
The NAPA here in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Has a paint gun that reads the color code, if it cannot find one of a similar mode. Then it will print out the Color Mixes in order to match it. So they can match every color off any car. You might want too check around for shops that have one. This is for a spray bomb type canister.
PFF
System Bot
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2007 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by crazyd:
I went thru the same thing at Schuck's for my silver GT. Had the guy try to tell me that WA 9004 was the "Washington State" paint code. He got really pissy when I called him out on that BS until the manager overheard all this and told him I was right and that it was just a GM paint code.

crazyd, I had a particularly rough day at work, and really needed the knee-slapping laughs provided by your story above about the alleged, special "Washington State paint code" number. Thanks! ROTFLOL!!!
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2007 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
All auto paint shops and body shops have books that cross over between GM and other paint companies.
You can call up an autp paint supply place and tell them the GM color code and they can give you the Dupli-color, PPG, DuPont, etc. paint codes.
Most auto paint shops will sell you a little 8oz bottle for $5-$10 and some very good touch-up brushes.

The only time you will have a difficult time with a color is if it is a specialty color or limited use color. They auto paint shops usually require you to buy a pint which can cost $30-$50. If I recall the 1987 Fiero blue is one such color. Also if anyone has their car painted, always ask the body shop for a small jar of the paint for touch-up use later. They won't charge you extra for it and you won't need to hunt down touch-up paint later if you need it.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2007 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pr3claTol2:

I know this thread is a little old but rather than starting a new thread i just searched for this one. I have an 86 Gold SE that has some touching up I'd like to do to the front bumper. Am I going to be happy with a pen from walmart or should i look into getting a spray of some sort? Also will the gold look good once it's applied. I'm just worried that it won't match correctly because it's well, gold.

The biggest problem you may have with matching the 86 gold color is the 86 gold color faded very badly. The new paint will probably stand out versus the old paint.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2007 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Yep the gold fades to silver almost. I have the most troubles trying to match silver and gold. Dont expect much if you spray it. Touch up with a small brush will be better. Most of the time the color codes are only manufacturer specific, not brand or models. There is General Motors silver for example. Its same code with different name for different brands under them. ie/ 9030 silver will be Brite Silver on a Cavalier, but called Sterling Silver on a Caddy....and something else on a Pontiac or Buick. Go by the code number, not the name. Also that color may be the same with another name 20 years later. ie/ Vitamin C or Hi-C is the same as Hemi Orange.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock