Started on: 03-27-2007 09:13 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Capt Fiero on 03-28-2007 08:00 PM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Just a quick question. What can be used as the head bolt sealant. I have the heads in place and went to reach for my tube of head bolt specific sealant and don't have any on the shelf, I don't want to run all the way to the parts store for a stupid bottle of goop. So I decided to take a break and thought I wonder if regular silicone sealant will work. I have a lot of that left over from other jobs. Same type of stuff you would use on a water pump or other intake stuff.

If it won't I will go and grab some in the morning.

------------------
85GT 5spd ,93 Eldorado 4.9 Dual O2 Custom Chip, Archie Clutch. Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything 245/50/16's Not Your Average 4.9 Capt Fiero Com --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Stock.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
Funny you should ask this because I was wondering about the bolts that hold the intake together. When I took mine out, there was some chalky tan stuff that came out- seems like there should be something better to use than that...
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
High temp silicon.
David DeVoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David DeVoeSend a Private Message to David DeVoeDirect Link to This Post
For headbolts and any others going into the water jacket I use a teflon pipe sealant that can be used in boiler installations. Very thick paste comes in a jug with a brush, seems to work very well.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
The head bolts are too critical IMHO to mess around with experimental sealant. I'd bite the bullet and get the actual stuff.

Just my .02

Arn
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

The head bolts are too critical IMHO to mess around with experimental sealant. I'd bite the bullet and get the actual stuff.

Just my .02

Arn

Originally posted by Indiana_resto_guy:

High temp silicon.

Use it all the time and have had 0 (thats ZERO) problems

[This message has been edited by Indiana_resto_guy (edited 03-28-2007).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I hit up the parts store and guess what.

Head Bolt Sealant. Is just exactly that, high temp silicone. Its not the same as the standard clear silicone I was going to use, however I am guessing it would have worked in a pinch. I bought the larger bottle and put some on all the threads of the head bolts and all the threads on the lower intake bolts as well. I am just taking a break now to have some dinner and will be back at it shortly.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock