Started on: 03-20-2007 06:41 PM
Replies: 23
Last post by: bonzo on 05-12-2007 01:23 PM
bonzo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoDirect Link to This Post
Found this tranny on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
This is the description.
FIVE SPEED MANUAL TRANSAXLE. COMPLETE OEM UNIT. IT WILL FIT 95 - 99 CHEVROLET CAVALIERS AND PONTIAC SUNFIRES WITH THE 2.2L. THIS TRANSAXLE IS MANUFACTURED FOR GM BY ISUZU AND IS IDENTIFIED BY THE 7 BOLT ALUMINUM COVER (SEE PICS). THE RPO DESIGNATION IS MK7. THE GM PART NUMBER IS 97131256.

Can anybody tell me what will be required to make this work? Is it doable? Will the axels need to be re sized? I know I will need to do some work on the linkage.
Please Help.

Bonzo

[This message has been edited by bonzo (edited 03-20-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
The bellhousing won't work.

It is for a 2.2... The 2.8 and 2.5 GMs use the same bellhousing as each other. The 2.2 is completely different.
bonzo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoDirect Link to This Post
Thought it sounded to good to be true. I forgot to mention that I'm trying to replace my 5 speed Isuzu on the LT1.

Bonzo
GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
Good Luck
Gary
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
This one sure looks like it has the Fiero pattern.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-21-2007).]

XzotikGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XzotikGTClick Here to visit XzotikGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to XzotikGTDirect Link to This Post
I thought the one from the 2.2 was supposed to be able to work. The issue I heard was the internal slave or something like that.

------------------
1987 GT 3.4 DOHC turboed
Updated page 11/3/06
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/167457/1

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
Yes it will work. Odds are though, that the shift lever assembly is the FWD one, it is not compatible with the Fiero's cable routing. You may need some Fiero isuzu parts to make that one work. It is also the internal slave type.
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2007 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by XzotikGT:

I thought the one from the 2.2 was supposed to be able to work. The issue I heard was the internal slave or something like that.

I never knew that.

My original information may have been mistaken then. Sorry guys.
AquaHusky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2007 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AquaHuskySend a Private Message to AquaHuskyDirect Link to This Post
The 2.2/2200 has the same bellhousing pattern as the 2.5 and 60* Vees. It's the 2.0/2.2/2.4 ECOtecs that are different. If you can, just grab a throwout bearing from, say, the 2.2/2200 S10's, Cav/Sunfire, or whatever uses this trans. with the hydraulic throw out bearing. Just get the hoses and accompanying parts and adapt it in.

Edit: Anyone else notice his Buy It Now price is 5 cents more than the starting bid? Kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

[This message has been edited by AquaHusky (edited 03-21-2007).]

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2007 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Yes it will work. The years you mentioned are made by Isuzu and the 00 uses the same belhousing and is a GETRAG transmission. You have to make sure it is for the 2.2L. There will be parts you need to modify for it to work. I posted the gear ratios in the other trans thread. I plan to use the new getrag on my 3800sc to see how it works. I don't think it will be as good as the V6 3.1 Beretta getrag, but I'm going to give it a shot. The 3.1 beretta trans is rated for more torque.

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 03-21-2007).]

bonzo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2007 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoDirect Link to This Post
Well I think I'm going to get it. I was hoping there was someone that had already used it. I did a search for MK7 and found one guy Drexter was using one with a 3.4L. He hasn't posted in awhile. I sent him a PM but nothing back yet. I have a Isuzu that I can use for some of the parts.

Bonzo
PFF
System Bot
XzotikGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2007 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XzotikGTClick Here to visit XzotikGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to XzotikGTDirect Link to This Post
can you repost the gear ratios for the newer isuzu/getrags here? And, the 2000 Cavy has a Getrag? I did not know that.

------------------
1987 GT 3.4 DOHC turboed
Updated page 11/3/06
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/167457/1

AquaHusky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2007 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AquaHuskySend a Private Message to AquaHuskyDirect Link to This Post
My VUE has a Getrag.
bonzo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2007 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoDirect Link to This Post
Has anybody used this tranny successfuly?

Bonzo

[This message has been edited by bonzo (edited 03-23-2007).]

bonzo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2007 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoDirect Link to This Post
Bump
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2007 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
The getrag version has been used. You need to adapt the slave and make brackets for the shift linkages.

Here is another example. (also see photo above)
This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 03-26-2007).]

Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 05:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
What what! The last of the 2.2s had Getrags? News to me! I have seen a few of these cars at the salvage yard and just assumed they had Isuzus. Are the gear ratios any different from the earlier Getrags?
bonzo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2007 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoDirect Link to This Post
Well the Tranny came in Friday. New 5 speed Isuzu MK7 for 95-99 Sunfires.

I was worried about how I was going to hook up the cables. I searched the PFF high and low. Emailed Rodney but he had not worked with this tranny. The shift assemblies are almost identicle

I swapped the shift assemblies and it fits.

Now I need to figure out how to deal with this internal slave. I plan on dropping the cradle within the next couple of weeks.
I'm debating on a Phantom Grip and possibly Kryo treating. It's a tough decission. I have never taken a tranny apart and this one is New.

Bonzo
FastFieros

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 265
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2007 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
Not sure what you want to put this on engine wise.... the ratios are

Isuzu 5 Speed Manual (RPO: MK7)
1st - 3.91
2nd - 2.18
3rd - 1.45
4th - 1.03
5th - 0.74

Compare them to the other transmissions here > http://www.fastfieros.com/N...nsmission_ratios.htm

Not a very good set of ratios for high HP and torque.

Loyde
bonzo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2007 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FastFieros:

Not sure what you want to put this on engine wise.... the ratios are

Isuzu 5 Speed Manual (RPO: MK7)
1st - 3.91
2nd - 2.18
3rd - 1.45
4th - 1.03
5th - 0.74

Not a very good set of ratios for high HP and torque.

Loyde

Do you know what the FD is on the MK7
I'm hooking this up to a LT1. Kinda late to not go with this tranny, plus $400 for a NEW tranny was hard to pass up. This car had a stock Isuzu in it . I dont plan on taking this car to the track but I will be getting on it now and then.
I've read some talk about the different gear ratios and such. The Isuzu connected to the LT1 is amazing, but then again all I have to compare it to is my 84 Duke.

Bonzo
bonzo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2007 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoDirect Link to This Post
Bump for info on the internal slave.
Final drive is 3.58

Bonzo
PFF
System Bot
cooguyfish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2007 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishDirect Link to This Post
I hate to even suggest this since you have a brand new trans, but it would work for me (if it was possible)

couldn't you just swap the gearset and FD from one case to the other or is that not possible?
cooguyfish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2007 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishDirect Link to This Post
what ever became of this?
bonzo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2007 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoDirect Link to This Post
I have moved this topic to this thread.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/082252.html

I just got back from a junk yard run for a master cylinder from a 98 Sunfire. I will be posting on the other thread.

Bonzo

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock