Started on: 03-20-2007 01:46 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: AquaHusky on 03-21-2007 09:53 PM
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Well, this probably isn't as exciting as you thought when you clicked the subject name of this thread but...

i went to the yard today to find a 3800 computer and a muffler i could "get by on" until i could afford something nice. I asked the front desk how much they charge for mufflers and the guy said 5 bucks. I liked the metallic copper paint on this grand am so i went to look at it and it had this just hanging there ready to be cut off.

Yea, it will fit. I need to widen it just a few inches. Btw i dont have a trunk lol. I really like the tips!

*** soon to be a build thread.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Seems restrictive to me.....
AquaHusky

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AquaHuskySend a Private Message to AquaHuskyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Seems restrictive to me.....

I'm going to guess you've seen inside one of these things? I'd love to see the construction of one if you've got the pics. I don't know how these work considering their odd shape. Besides, with a lot of manufacturers using this style, it can't be all bad.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2007 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I just saw the inlet, and I asumed restrictive, as the 3800's run a downpipe around 2.5inches, the size as that I am guessing would be 1.75 or less.

And as quiet as those are, I wouldnt be suprised if thats restrictive, I know my friend made 18 more HP on a dyno when he swapped out his 00 grand am's cat back for a SLP catback, but I guess he cleaned up the cat and such, so it was equal size all the way back.
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2007 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
My manifold is not ported. Around where the sensor is there is a metal ring that "i really should cut out", well its smaller than that of the diameter of the muffler i just got. And Im not running a cat. Once this gets running ill post some sound clips. But if worse comes to worse, if it does seem excessivly restrictive ill just use the tips on a diff muffler. I think it will be fine though. Im not trying to break a speed record or anything, just whoop on the local rice boys a bit. I dont think it will be a problem lol.

So if i get my engine started today ill get that muffler on real quick. Hopefully i wont keep ya guys waiting to long.
AquaHusky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2007 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AquaHuskySend a Private Message to AquaHuskyDirect Link to This Post
I noticed you said you cut the trunk out. How did you do that, or where is the thread? I want to chop mine out and make it a flat bottom inside and free that bit of space up to open a few more doors for exhaust/muffler choices.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2007 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AquaHusky:

I noticed you said you cut the trunk out. How did you do that, or where is the thread? I want to chop mine out and make it a flat bottom inside and free that bit of space up to open a few more doors for exhaust/muffler choices.

I used an angle grinder, and a full face sheild to cut the trunk out.

Basicly I cut around the "front" and the sides, very close to the top. Then I cut down the back of it, leaving the rear of the trunk there, and then cutting the bottom. Ill show pictures when I make my new exhaust thread this weekend, just look for it. It might be a bit more tame to use a sawzall, but the angle grinder was pretty cool, I should of made a video of it.
AquaHusky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2007 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AquaHuskySend a Private Message to AquaHuskyDirect Link to This Post
Angle grinders make for a good show, yes. What my concern is that on the sides, the "frame rails" are against the sides of the lower trunk. I don't want to cut them, but I want it clean work, you know? I'll keep an eye open for that thread. Thanks, man.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock