Another 3800SC Build Thread PICS! by FIERO1985
Started on: 03-17-2007 09:40 PM
Replies: 25
Last post by: darkhorizon on 07-07-2007 02:09 PM
FIERO1985

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2007 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO1985Send a Private Message to FIERO1985Direct Link to This Post
Ok here is the start to my new build thread out with the SBC and in with the 3800sc. I bought this engine from Ed Morad in Cleveland Ohio. Brought it back and started to obtain parts, alot from over at Club GP used parts such as the intercooler, headers,cam, pushrods, springs, retainers. Then bought the rest of the stuff from zzp and w body store.

Here is the engine fresh from ed
This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.

I went through complete motor from pan to charger every gasket and seal replaced, went with head studs and cometic 4 layer mls gaskets, put new snout bearings and seals in the charger and had the snout machined for the 2.6 pully, the case is a stage 3 port and intlet opened up to 75mm to match n* throttle body. I had the charger boost bypass welded up and machined looks so clean. XP hot cam installed with new rollermaster timing set and dampner and head studs

Machined ported intake installed

105lbs springs, modded retainers, titanium locks, new valve seals installed

I am gonna start the harness and putting trans onto engine this week, hoping by mid next month to have a video of start up and test drive. here is the car its going in

and what came out of it to put it in

Dan

------------------
3800sc XP Hot Cam, Comp Pushrods, Comp Lifters, Stage 3 Blower,Ported Lower Manifold, N* Throttle Body, LS1 MAF, Ported Heads,.052 Cometic 4 Layer Headgaskets, Stage 2 ZZP Intercooler, 2.6 Pulley, SLP Headers. Elimislip Pulley Set up, 42.5 Lucas Injectors, Custom Tune! Ahhhhh.....yeah

[This message has been edited by FIERO1985 (edited 03-17-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
SPRING GUY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2007 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SPRING GUYSend a Private Message to SPRING GUYDirect Link to This Post
What was the main reason for the swap from the V8??
FIERO1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2007 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO1985Send a Private Message to FIERO1985Direct Link to This Post
After I built egine drove it awhile and went to a few car shows, I got an offer on the engine and since I built it I knew what I had in it and said what the hay I will sell it and I got the boost bug, I honestly can say that since I had a v8 I think these cars were meant for 3800 here is a pic of the old engine

------------------
3800sc XP Hot Cam, Comp Pushrods, Comp Lifters, Stage 3 Blower,Ported Lower Manifold, N* Throttle Body, LS1 MAF, Ported Heads,.052 Cometic 4 Layer Headgaskets, Stage 2 ZZP Intercooler, 2.6 Pulley, SLP Headers. Elimislip Pulley Set up, 42.5 Lucas Injectors, Custom Tune! Ahhhhh.....yeah

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2007 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
cant belive you killed the boost bypass valve, that is a very bad idea. The lack of the bbv stresses the coating on the rotors, and a few other minor things i dont feel like explaining.

Who is doing your tuning?

Why the single roller? I have heard nothing but bad things from those.

You dont need the breather, it actually makes the stock PCV system malfunction.

What did you block off the heater core ports with, and how are you running the heater core feed?
FIERO1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2007 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO1985Send a Private Message to FIERO1985Direct Link to This Post
ok well I have seen many many many people block off the boost bypass valve and read the write up on lloyds site and people at club gp do the same. as far as the breather it is needed, because I have an early intercooler with out pcv provision so yes it is needed. and finally there is no heater core in the car it is a summer only car and has been that way for the past 3 years with the sbc, I did not like the way that system worked on the 3800 so they are all welded shut, and they wont leak at all the guy who did it for me is just that good!

I have only heard good things about the single chain, it does make a difference whether you run the jp? or the rollermaster, the rollermaster gets rave results and is perfectly fine for the xp cam with 105 springs above that you need double row chain but then you need to removed the balance shaft.
Dan

------------------

FIERO1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2007 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO1985Send a Private Message to FIERO1985Direct Link to This Post

FIERO1985

801 posts
Member since Nov 2000
oh and forgot about a friend of mine has a friend who does hp tuning local he is huge into ls1 tuning with hp tuners software but also does gtp stuff and he does custom tunes by tuning with maf. so he will be doing the freq table for the maf and getting the initial stuff done then off to the dyno and get the a/f dialed in and get some numbers

------------------

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2007 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that thing is going to be a great time! Which trans are you going with?
FIERO1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2007 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO1985Send a Private Message to FIERO1985Direct Link to This Post
Thanks I hope so. I am going to stick with old faithful 4 speed muncie 3.65 I used it in the sbc without problems however now that I say that it is proly gonna fail..lol

Dan

------------------

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2007 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Ahh well that answers my questions lol, thanks! (I was a bit tired when I made that post, it sounded a bit punchy after reading it again)

Sounds like you have it figured out, send me some pm's when your about to do the tuning, I have a few tricks for getting the lq4 and the #42 injectors dialed right in.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2007 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I noticed the original motor pic had the typical 3800 oil filter on there. You can go to a 4.3L Chevy filter and its twice as long so you get more filter capacity. Just a lil FYI type thing if you didn't already know.
FIERO1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2007 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO1985Send a Private Message to FIERO1985Direct Link to This Post
did not know that and thanks for the input will put one of those on it!

------------------

PFF
System Bot
FIERO1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2007 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO1985Send a Private Message to FIERO1985Direct Link to This Post

FIERO1985

801 posts
Member since Nov 2000

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Ahh well that answers my questions lol, thanks! (I was a bit tired when I made that post, it sounded a bit punchy after reading it again)

Sounds like you have it figured out, send me some pm's when your about to do the tuning, I have a few tricks for getting the lq4 and the #42 injectors dialed right in.

thanks for the advice and will do! thanks again

------------------

FieroGTguy

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2007 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post
Heya,

I'm not sure if there is a detailed write up on how to install an intercooler, but if you could take some pictures and let me know it goes... I'd appreciate it! I'm about to undertake an IC project whenever I get my car back from Norm. :P

Thanks,
Greg

------------------

FIERO1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2007 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO1985Send a Private Message to FIERO1985Direct Link to This Post
Hey greg wish I would of taken more pics, I can with the coolant hoses and the pump and radiator mount, however I did not snap too many pics assembling the motor as I has it apart for a while and when putting it all together I just looked for part deals around clubgp.

------------------

daniel87fierogt

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2007 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtDirect Link to This Post
Greg,
No worries in a couple of weeks ill be starting my heavily modified 87gt/3800SC build thread and im using the full size zzp intercooler and that thread is gonna have tons of pics. Later
LAMBO

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LAMBOSend a Private Message to LAMBODirect Link to This Post
Wow, you're doing a great job on your build & swap. I was curious about how you're going to deal with decklid clearance, or is there even an issue with that. I'm in the middle of doing the same swap, and I keep having that nagging notion that I need to go with an intercooler. I just don't want to have to alter my decklid to do it.

------------------

FIERO1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO1985Send a Private Message to FIERO1985Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by LAMBO:

Wow, you're doing a great job on your build & swap. I was curious about how you're going to deal with decklid clearance, or is there even an issue with that. I'm in the middle of doing the same swap, and I keep having that nagging notion that I need to go with an intercooler. I just don't want to have to alter my decklid to do it.

Thank you, and haha I have the same feeling, I finally put hinges back on my car with my small block I was unable to run a decklid as the pictures show, I think there is a notch in the lid you have to do but I am not sure with an intercooled car, we will see, hopefully someone else will chime in.

Dan

------------------

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2007 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I know that Lowkey, the blue/red formula had to notch the decklid "rail" on the passenger side, which is not at all a big deal, its non structural.

There was a fancy thread showing somone fiberglassing the notch also, might be a good use of the search button.
LAMBO

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2007 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LAMBOSend a Private Message to LAMBODirect Link to This Post
Non structural, eh. What were those GM engineers thinking about. This could have been a perfect chance for them to cut some cost, some weight; maybe even add a mpg or two in the process. Wow, someone really blew a great opportunity to be a hero for a day.
InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2007 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadDirect Link to This Post
After test fitting my L67 on Purple reigns mounts, I will need to notch the decklid on mine also on the right support hump. My circumstance may be different I'm not certain. This is an 84 Fiero that I put an 85 GT decklid on and put the PR swaps mounts on the 84' cradle. It's very minor the notching is is under a 1/2". and only cuts into one side of the support hump/rail thingy.

**Edit**

Wanted to add that I have the ZZP intercooler stacking mine higher also, causing more of a clearance issue than a non IC'd install I'm sure.

[This message has been edited by InTheLead (edited 03-23-2007).]

crab daddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2007 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crab daddySend a Private Message to crab daddyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIERO1985:
I have only heard good things about the single chain, it does make a difference whether you run the jp? or the rollermaster, the rollermaster gets rave results and is perfectly fine for the xp cam with 105 springs above that you need double row chain but then you need to removed the balance shaft.
Dan

A lot of people, Including me, are running double roller chains (even with the 105lb springs). It seems as though the aftermarket chains are wearing threw the dampiner too fast. Unless you want to pull your front cover off every year to inspect, I would suggest running a double roller chain also. A failure of a dampiner would be catostrophic to the motor. You don't need to remove the balance shaft. I left mine in and just removed the gear that turns it to make room for the double roller set. It would be good to have the oil pump cover milled down .020 but I just double gasketed mine and used copper spray to help seal it up.

------------------
Thinking about dropping the L67 from my gp into a Fiero.
12.466 @ 114.15 INTENSE S1X/ZZP IC/TOG Headers

PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2007 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LAMBO:

Non structural, eh. What were those GM engineers thinking about. This could have been a perfect chance for them to cut some cost, some weight; maybe even add a mpg or two in the process. Wow, someone really blew a great opportunity to be a hero for a day.

If you look how it was made, it just simpler to cast it the way they did. they could of done it differently, but it would of required effort.
FIERO1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2007 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO1985Send a Private Message to FIERO1985Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by crab daddy:

A lot of people, Including me, are running double roller chains (even with the 105lb springs). It seems as though the aftermarket chains are wearing threw the dampiner too fast. Unless you want to pull your front cover off every year to inspect, I would suggest running a double roller chain also. A failure of a dampiner would be catostrophic to the motor. You don't need to remove the balance shaft. I left mine in and just removed the gear that turns it to make room for the double roller set. It would be good to have the oil pump cover milled down .020 but I just double gasketed mine and used copper spray to help seal it up.

Thanks for the input I did use a new dampner its no thing for me to disasemble so after a couple seasons I may do some changes as I typically do (v6-v8-v6) so at that point if I see wear I may goto a double I just dont see that many issue from the single row, i mean gm put that in factory. and they would not sell it if they were breaking and throughing metal into the engine.....just my thoughts, but seriously thanks for the input

I plan on notching the decklid for sure since I have the intercooler

------------------

Legacy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2007 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LegacySend a Private Message to LegacyDirect Link to This Post
AWESOME thread man! I'm swapping my 2.8 for a 3800sc as we speak,, when i'm not working anyway lol ,,would LOVE to hear more about the intercooler and what it costs and ,,and,, and,, ~getting too excited just thinkin of all__that__horsepower!!! Whoo__hooo!!!!

-Greg K.

------------------
Greg Kerner -Artist, Photographer & fiero owner ,,able to kick butt at 140 Honda's pr hr!
http://www.geocities.com/legacy_artist/myfieroproject001.jpg

crab daddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2007 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crab daddySend a Private Message to crab daddyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIERO1985:

I just dont see that many issue from the single row, i mean gm put that in factory. and they would not sell it if they were breaking and throughing metal into the engine.....just my thoughts

Yes gm did use a single chain, but not roller. The way the single chain (stock) is shaped, makes it less likely to wear the dampiner. The roller chain seems to be eating up dampiners very quickly. If the dampiner goes, your valve train will be out of wack (interference motor) and you will have pistons going up while valves are opening. That will result in broken pistons, valves, pushrods, rockers etc.... catostrophic failure. If you look on club gp, you will see plenty of people have posted pics of dampiners that have been warn badly and pieces breaking off of them.

I ran a stock chain and new dampiner with the s1x cam and 105lb springs and the dampiner showed very little wear after a year, but the people running the roller chains were showing a lot of wear.

just a friendly warning. I went to a double roller over the stock chain because I was planning on putting 130lb springs in.

I dont know how strong the stock chain is, but I would not recommend using a single roller. I would chose stock or double roller (since the double roller does not use a dampiner).

------------------
Thinking about dropping the L67 from my gp into a Fiero.
12.466 @ 114.15 INTENSE S1X/ZZP IC/TOG Headers

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2007 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
is it done yet?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock