PCM for 4.9/ 4T60E and 2 bar MAP? by vafierro
Started on: 03-16-2007 10:33 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: jeffndebrus on 08-26-2007 01:25 AM
vafierro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2007 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vafierroClick Here to visit vafierro's HomePageSend a Private Message to vafierroDirect Link to This Post
I'm still working to select an ECU for a 4.9 caddy turbo. The ECM needs to be able to control both the 4.9 engine with 2bar MAP as well as the 4T60E tranny. I'd much rather do this than run and FMU but I'm still keeping that as an option at this point.

What are my real options here? I've got friends that burn ECM's for F-body's (I'm also in the F-body club) so they could be possibly help me out as well.

Thanks,
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
vafierro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2007 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vafierroClick Here to visit vafierro's HomePageSend a Private Message to vafierroDirect Link to This Post
1227749 ECM should work for this I think (after some research). It should also work for a TPI with blower or turbo. Can anyone confirm?
jeffndebrus

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2007 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
I believe you are correct if I remember from what PBJ and Rockcrawl had worked on a few years back. I wrote PBJ hoping to find some answers and he directed me to a company that builds turbo systems----I cannot find that info so maybe you could write him and post it here. Unfortunately you can't just throw a turbo in your exhaust and take off.
PBJ's 4.9 turbo project was a huge success though and his wife vaulted the car down the 1/4 mile over and over again posting respectable numbers with no mechanical failures. I believe they never boosted the motor over 5lbs but it sure woke it up. I would love to do this but the info is scarce. The guy that bought their drivetrain divided off the automatic and never did get it running again--What a Shame!

------------------
Proud Member of the North Florida Fiero club

4T60E Parks harness/ Rockcrawl chip-- more to come--

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2007 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

jeffndebrus

2772 posts
Member since Aug 2001
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060206-1-023354.html

This was one of their build up threads
vafierro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2007 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vafierroClick Here to visit vafierro's HomePageSend a Private Message to vafierroDirect Link to This Post
I've pretty much figured out what to do at this point. Once I get the build going I'll do a full thread on the progress. I won't start the thread until I have everything in the car and start tuning. The basic install is well documented so no need to go over that again....

Current plan -
Stock Caddy ECU/4.9/4T60E
Additional injector controller
Crane ignition with 2 bar map and boost retard
HX40 Holset turbo with 6psi wastegate (adjusted to 5psi)
Bosch pop off valve on the intake side.
Possible alcohol injection and intercooler to follow...

PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2007 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
We could not destroy that 4.9 turbo. It ripped apart 3 1/2 transmissions, and ran 20-30 1/4 mile runs every weekend and hot lapped 5-8 times in a row, the car would get faster the hotter the engine was. I got excellent gains with 5 psi on a stock engine but once I ported the heads and intake majorly, cam, intercooler, and now 8 psi.....still that engine would not give up, never had to trailer the car home....I would estimate over 350 1/4 mile runs with 160 000 kms one the engine when I bought it and we had it for 4 years. Very impressed with the 4.9, very. Never had the oil pan off to even inspect the bottem end!!

Best of luck with your project, I did try the 749 ecm but had no luck-rpm surge.

Pete

------------------

vafierro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2007 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vafierroClick Here to visit vafierro's HomePageSend a Private Message to vafierroDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Pete. I'm hoping I have as much luck with mine as you did. Basically I think the engine will respond well to a little boost as your project attested to. I'm looking forward to making some real progress in the coming weeks. Hopefully I'll be putting up some time slips of my own this summer. My goal is to run 13.0 which seems reasonable considering your results. Good luck on your next project also.
jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2007 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Any details on how to do this? I would love to turbo our 4.9.

Thanks Jeff
vafierro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2007 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vafierroClick Here to visit vafierro's HomePageSend a Private Message to vafierroDirect Link to This Post
I'm actually working on this using a stand alone injector controller. My current plans are to get the engine running in the car and do the turbo as an add on about a month later (after the bugs are out). This probably helps others that are planning to add a turbo since I will try to adapt it to being installed with the engine in the car.

More details in a few weeks....
1BadGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2007 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1BadGTSend a Private Message to 1BadGTDirect Link to This Post
I shot you a PM since I'm very interested in turboing my 4.9L and since I live probably about 15 minutes away from you
jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2007 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Any updates????????

------------------
Proud Member of the North Florida Fiero club

4T60E Parks harness/ Rockcrawl chip-- more to come--

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave