Started on: 03-13-2007 08:54 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: carbon on 03-13-2007 09:33 PM
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2007 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
Can someone please tell me the definition of zero lash... every thing for adjusting rockers says 'tighten to 2 1/2 turns past zero lash'...

Seeing as I have never had any formal mechanic's training I don't know all the lingo. What is zero lash?

Please?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2007 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
zero is when there is no space between rocker arm and valve steem. On OHV engines betwen the cam and tappet. Solid lifters are never set to zero cold, if they were they would be open all the time when engine warm. Most engines to day (and since maybe the 70s?) use hydrolic lifters.

------------------
[IMG]

Trueleo.com/fiero.htm
RSpiderII@aol.com

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2007 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Everyone has their way of doing it. What it means is the point where all the slack is gone from the push rod valve train but the lifter piston has not collapsed any.
How you "feel" that is kind of the trick.
What I have a few other do is kind of rotate or shake the rod side to side as you tighten the rocker. As soon as you feel any movement gone that is zero lash.
The books will usually say to rotate the rod until you feel it get tight but seem by the time you feel that your a little past zero.
shaking it side to side and feeling the click seems to get closer for me.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 03-13-2007).]

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2007 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
and you can only do this for certain rockers with the engine at TDC for cyl 1 and 4, correct?
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2007 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Yes with #1 at TDC and the firing position (both #1 valves closed) you can adjust Exhaust on 1, 2, 3, and intake on 1, 5, 6

Turn the engine one revolution so #4 is TDC. Now you can do Exhaust 4, 5, 6, and intake 2, 3, 4
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2007 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock