Door latch rattles on rough roads by sjmaye
Started on: 03-10-2007 02:19 PM
Replies: 23
Last post by: sjmaye on 10-18-2007 04:34 AM
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2007 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
Solved!- A fix/workaround for the rattling door latch striker!

See pics below

If you are having problems with a rattling striker bolt go to Autozone and buy a HELP! striker bolt for a FORD #38421. I started sizing it up on my car. Everything looked right. I screwed it in and it immediately worked! The door now closes solid as a rock and no rattles over bumps.

This is a solid fix/workaround. At most you may want to turn the head down just a hair depending on the wear on your door latch assembly.

[This message has been edited by sjmaye (edited 10-19-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cliphord1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2007 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliphord1Send a Private Message to cliphord1Direct Link to This Post
Thanks, I needed that fix.
clumsy2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2007 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for clumsy2kSend a Private Message to clumsy2kDirect Link to This Post
Thanx for the tip !!!
Just got hold of the bolt.
HELP # 38421 / Doorman # 701916
Took of the plastic cylinder on the bolt, fits like a charm!
Looks like I can drive with the windows down at last !
Creds to you !

fierobeel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2007 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobeelClick Here to visit fierobeel's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierobeelDirect Link to This Post
Now I can save wrapping electrical tape around it every week!
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2007 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the tip! I need this one too....

+ heading your way.
brandon87gt

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2007 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtDirect Link to This Post
I was doing some searching on this subject because I have this problem too but another alternative is that a striker for a 86 S10 will work too. Just pick it up from the HELP section, same as the ford one. Now I need to go get this myself.
DarrenHB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2007 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DarrenHBClick Here to visit DarrenHB's HomePageSend a Private Message to DarrenHBDirect Link to This Post
THANKS! I had this problem, it was driving me crazy. My door was tight, it just rattled. Solved.
Bigfieroman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2007 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanDirect Link to This Post
Did all of you guys take off the plastic on the shaft of the bolt?

------------------

More info at: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/043357.html

Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2007 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
Yes
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2007 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobeel:

Now I can save wrapping electrical tape around it every week!

Wow...I thought I was the only one who did this! I do the same thing with the electrical tape....only every month.
Funny thing is...my rattling started AFTER I replaced the hinge pins.

Kit / 86 GT

connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2007 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

Wow...I thought I was the only one who did this! I do the same thing with the electrical tape....only every month.
Funny thing is...my rattling started AFTER I replaced the hinge pins.

Kit / 86 GT

I tried EVERYTHING including electrical tape every other week. I used plastic pieces, tinfoil, duct tape, paper wrapped in elec tape, you name it I tried it. I can't wait to try this fix.
PFF
System Bot
Rocky Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2007 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rocky TopSend a Private Message to Rocky TopDirect Link to This Post
Take the plastic off the shaft of the bolt ? Why ? Does the plastic make it too big for the Fiero application ? I sort of figured the plastic was what eliminated the rattle. Similar to wrapping tape around the old striker bolt just better.
81tta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2007 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 81ttaSend a Private Message to 81ttaDirect Link to This Post
With the plastic still attached, the diameter is too big for the fiero latch. (I know this because I just tried it a little more that 24 hours ago.....) The "fix" is in the slightly larger in diameter, unworn metal pin itself. Although I didn't have access to a good replacement, my original pin showed a LOT of wear. It *might* have been possible to get good results from a newer Fiero specific pin. I can't imagine they're as easy (and cheap) to get as the Ford pins.

I have to say the timing of this thread was perfect. No more rattles.
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2007 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
Well, I went over to Pep Girls today and picked up the new striker bolt. Worked exactly as said, and yes, I did remember to remove the plastic sleeve. Door closes nice and snug now.

Thanks again for the tip!
noodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2007 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for noodleSend a Private Message to noodleDirect Link to This Post
Does anybody know what the striker bolt is off, there isn't a autozone around here, I took a look at Canadian Tire but couldn't find it, I gave the guy working at parts counter the part number but he couldn't come up with anything that matched, I'm going to try NAPA tomorrow.

------------------
Factory '87 GT 5-speed

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2007 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
noodle:

Did you find a Canadian source?

Great fix guys, +'s given.

Thanks
Nolan
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2007 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Very glad I saw this today, I was just getting annoyed by my rattling door. Thanks

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
Over 120 Fiero Links, Articles, Images, Diagnostics

"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

Jrgicehc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2007 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JrgicehcSend a Private Message to JrgicehcDirect Link to This Post
just did this about 10 minutes ago, that was the best $17 i have ever spent, great fix.

[This message has been edited by Jrgicehc (edited 07-28-2007).]

deceler8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2007 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Direct Link to This Post
You're a genius...went to my local Advance Auto and picked one up...$7.97 and it works like a charm.

------------------

connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2007 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
I did this a few months ago when you first posted this thread. It works great. Only thing was the door would get stuck for the first few days. The latch was sticking on the thicker diameter. But it wore down some of the metal and works perfectly now. OF course my door still sags when it open though. Damn hinges.
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2007 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
I first posted this back in March. I have now fixed my third door and it is working great. I thought some photos would help with explain.

I read a post where someone thought the rubber of the latch assembly was shrinking with age. This is the rubber bumper (circled yellow) at the bottom of the receiver for the striker pin. See pic below

Here is the same latch assembly as is sits in the door. The rubber is on the bottom.

The following part is available from Autozone. It is the same as the original striker pin, but has a larger head. The part comes with a gray plastic sleeve (already taken off in photo) which should be discarded. The intent is to resize the head to fit the opening of the striker receiver.

The first door I fixed had the door dragging a bit on the head. It was too large. I had to find a hi-tech way to find out the correct size to cut the head down to. Here is my method:

I found that my 13mm box end wrench fit like a glove. I measured it with my vernier calipers to find it to be 0.780". I had the head cut to this size.

Here it is installed. No more rattles.

I hope this helps fellow rattle fiends.

[This message has been edited by sjmaye (edited 10-17-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
kyote

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2007 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyoteClick Here to visit kyote's HomePageSend a Private Message to kyoteDirect Link to This Post
So it's NOT my window that rattles when the window is rolled down??? This sure is easier than taking a door apart...!!

------------------

'86 Fastback SE 5 spd -'94 HD Electra Glide Cassic -'99 Chevy K-1500 Z-71

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2007 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Nope ... and if you hear squeeking, it's probably NOT the window or door pieces, but instead the "jaws" part of the door latch is rubbing against the plastic on the factory striker shaft in the body / door frame. The plastic or rubber by the factory "jaws' and the plastic-coated shaft of the striker get old and dry out, then squeek when they mate against each other.

sjmaye - thanks for posting, i got the last one at kragen ; (+) for you

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 10-18-2007).]

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2007 04:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

sjmaye - thanks for posting, i got the last one at kragen ; (+) for you

Your welcome. Glad to help

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock