328 rebody by formulamoe
Started on: 03-04-2007 09:55 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Archie on 03-06-2007 12:52 AM
formulamoe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for formulamoeSend a Private Message to formulamoeDirect Link to This Post
I am having problems trying to figure out how to create the engine grills on the trunk of my 328. How have others done it? I have aluminium slats but I can not get it to look authentic in the least.
Thanks.
I posted this on kitcarsforums too, but you guys usually are more helpful.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post
Have you searched some of the kit car sites photos to see what they look like? Is it similar to the 308 rebodies? I can snap some pics of mine tomorrow if it will help you (308). PM me if it will help.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2007 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
On mine, instead of slats i used stainless box tubing about 1/2 " square. I used 3 or 4 horizontal bars and bolted them from the back to stainless flat stock about 1/2 " wide vertically at the center and each end and simply screwed those uprights into the body opening. If you use slats, prob going to have to TIG or MIG weld the edges to some verticals.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 03-05-2007).]

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2007 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
We made a wooden pattern that had the same dimensions as the 328 decklid.

Then we used some aluminium angle stock to make the 4 base ribs & figured out how many slots we needed to cut in them. We made a fixture to cut those slots (not shown) & proceeded to cut the lengths of the individual slatts. We cut the slots for the Slatts with Skill saw with the right width abrasive blade & the saw set at the correct angle.

We numbered each one of the slats with a pencil so they wouldn't get mixed up.

We then took it over to the guy I use to weld aluminium & with the help of carefully placed 2x4's we turned it over on his welding bench & he welded them in from the back side.

Hope that helps

Archie

psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2007 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post
Archie shines through again!! Great tutorial!!!!
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2007 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Archie, do y'all do window blinds too? j/k Great work on those.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

Relax! You've managed to suck all of the fun out of the room.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2007 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
My screw up, I thought you meant front grill...duhh. Great job Archie, fortunately for me, a pre assembled grill came with my kit for the engine cover.
formulamoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2007 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for formulamoeSend a Private Message to formulamoeDirect Link to This Post
THANKS!
Archie great right up, Thats what I am going to do.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2007 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
I take pictures of virtually everything we do & if I can find the pictures on my HD, then I can sometimes help on this kind of stuff. Right now my HD has about 40000 pictures on it, so sometimes it's hard to find certain things. Someplace I have pics of what the grill looked like when we were done.

I also have pics of the front & rear grills we had to make.

Glad I could help.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 03-05-2007).]

formulamoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2007 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for formulamoeSend a Private Message to formulamoeDirect Link to This Post
Archie
That would help too. I know you are busy but if you could find the pictures of the front and back.
Thanks
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Here's the rear grill, before we closed in all the ends.

I'll find the front one sometime.

Archie
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock