Stock 86GT and tire recommendation by griz
Started on: 03-03-2007 12:27 AM
Replies: 20
Last post by: Brian Lamberts on 03-04-2007 11:59 PM
griz

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-03-2007 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grizSend a Private Message to grizDirect Link to This Post
I will need to replace the rear tires of my 86 GT due to severe weather cracking. Instead of just replacing those 2, I am going to have all 4 replaced. They are currently 215/60/R15 right now. With regards to expectations, I am looking for tires (both size and brand) that will give me excellent comfort and handling while maximizing tread life. What size do you recommend on a stock GT to accomplish this? Brand?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Griz
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
I think if you check the sticker on the end of the driver's door you'll find that they are supposed to be 205 on front and 215 on the rear.
As far as a brand I can only tell that I have Summit GTs on mine and like them very much. They are close to the original tread design and seem to handle and wear good.

Dave
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
My 86 SE sticker says 215 / 60R14 all around so I went with that size all around.
Purchased the tires at Belle Tire, part number ACC75312, P215/60 R14 91S ACC "American GT Grand Turbo" RWL 50K.
Total out the door price including 4-wheel alignment was $335.46 including the Michigan tax.

These tires have raised white lettering and handle very well in all weather. I like that the tires handle Detroit pot holes effortlessly without rattling my teeth out. These are a good city driving tire, nice ride, no worries.
griz

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-03-2007 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grizSend a Private Message to grizDirect Link to This Post
Did the GT's in 86 have larger rims? My rims are stock gt's and they are 15 inch.

Griz
moleman_in_a_FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for moleman_in_a_FieroGTSend a Private Message to moleman_in_a_FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Yes, 86-88 GTs came with 15-inchers and two different size tires.
Mike Marden

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MardenSend a Private Message to Mike MardenDirect Link to This Post
I replaced all 4 on my 86 SE with Winston Winner GT tires (215/60R14) and really enjoy the ride and grip. They have the raised white lettering. They are also available in 15" and 65 and 70 series. Think I paid abt $300 out the door.

------------------
86 SE 2.8 4-Speed

DRA

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

jetman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to follow up on my earlier post.
I did go out this morning into the frozen tundra and double checked on my 87 GT. My 87 GT sticker says 205 / 60 R15 front and 215 / 60 R15 rear. I have 205 / 60 R15 all around as those were on the car when I purchased it. I do like the option of rotating the tires. Speedometer reading with 205’s on rear is 1.9% too fast so when the speedometer reads 60 mph I’m actually travelling at 58.9 mph.

Here is a handy little tire wheel caculator that one of the forum members posted recently.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Black86gtFastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black86gtFastbackClick Here to visit Black86gtFastback's HomePageSend a Private Message to Black86gtFastbackDirect Link to This Post
i have a 86 gt and i put 88 gt front wheels on it and was wondering are those wheels supost to have 205's on them?

Tony
jetman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Black86gtFastback:

i have a 86 gt and i put 88 gt front wheels on it and was wondering are those wheels supost to have 205's on them?

Tony

That sound correct per the above post by Dave.

Originally posted by 2farnorth:

I think if you check the sticker on the end of the driver's door you'll find that they are supposed to be 205 on front and 215 on the rear.

[This message has been edited by jetman (edited 03-04-2007).]

sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
I know the stock tire sizes front to rear are different for my 1987 GT, but are the rims the same size/width front to rear?
PFF
System Bot
2farnorth

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Black86gtFastback:

Tony

Yes check the sticker. I know that 88 GT/Formula front rims had a different offset from the rears and from previous years. I have seen 88 fronts on other cars also. What looks strange is to see the 88 rims rotated front to back. I would think it would affect the handling and alignment a little.

Dave

Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
I really like my BFG T/As a lot and not just because they are white lettered. You can turn them around if you dont like the letters.
DRA

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sjmaye:

I know the stock tire sizes front to rear are different for my 1987 GT, but are the rims the same size/width front to rear?

If your wheels are the original pre 88 GT wheels they will be the same size and offset front to back.

88 GT/Formula wheels are different offset and width front to back, can't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head.

------------------
Don't take life too seriously -- you'll never get out if it alive.

Brian Lamberts

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian LambertsSend a Private Message to Brian LambertsDirect Link to This Post
I'm running 225-60-15 on the rear, 205-60-15 on the front on my 88 Formula. Fronts look a little lost in the wheelwell, they look smallish. THe 225's on the rear look nice--meaty but not overly so. I wouldn't go much smaller in any position--it is a sports car, afterall.

On tire brands, Firestone's Firehawk 500's consistantly get rave reviews. I have them on my Formula and the handling is good, the steering easy, and the ride is decent and quiet. They handle okay in up to about 4" of snow, too. Very good tires and reasonably priced. (I'm a bit spoiled, Tire Rack has their west coast warehouse in Reno--I don't pay no stinkin' shipping on my tires.)

http://www.tirerack.com/tir...el=Firehawk+Indy+500

[This message has been edited by Brian Lamberts (edited 03-04-2007).]

griz

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-04-2007 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grizSend a Private Message to grizDirect Link to This Post
Are 225's the biggest I can go on a stock 86 gt? Can I go 225 on the front as well or just the rear?

Griz
jetman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by griz:

Are 225's the biggest I can go on a stock 86 gt? Can I go 225 on the front as well or just the rear?

Griz

I can't answer that question specifically but remember that as you increase the size of the front tires you also make it more difficult to turn the wheel, something to consider proir to the purchase of your tires.
This topic was discussed recently in this thread. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/080666.html

brokeagain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brokeagainSend a Private Message to brokeagainDirect Link to This Post
stock 86 gt, 225/50/15 front and 265/50/15 rear. looks great and works just as good. was really hard mounting the rears.
David DeVoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David DeVoeSend a Private Message to David DeVoeDirect Link to This Post
I am using BF Goodrich front and rear on my 86GT and would buy them again. Very satisfied. I am using the stock sizes.
griz

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-04-2007 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grizSend a Private Message to grizDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by brokeagain:

stock 86 gt, 225/50/15 front and 265/50/15 rear. looks great and works just as good. was really hard mounting the rears.

Did you notice any decrease in performance, ride, wear etc?

Griz
Brian Lamberts

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian LambertsSend a Private Message to Brian LambertsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by griz:

Griz

On my 86 SE V6, I had 225-60-15 on all four positions. Handled nice, didn't look funny.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock