Started on: 02-27-2007 01:45 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: KurtAKX on 03-01-2007 01:12 AM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok there is no question on which is the better engine. The 327 is a 300hp 327 from what I am told a 69 Camaro. We have been offered it Pan to Carb. Lisa's Fiero has a home brew SBC V8 conversion in it. The current motor is a 305 from a 1982 Camaro. Both motors are carbed so that is not the issue. However I remember from reading Archie's site. (great resource) that the flywheel or something was different between older and newer V8's. Can anyone tell me with any certainty if the late 60's and early 80's are the same. The guy that has the motor was going to use it in a race car, but has decided that 300hp just was not going to cut it. He is going to sell it to me for a really reasonable price. Seeing as the 305 has seen better days and we were planning on spending about the same money just on heads and cam, this would save us a lot of hassle plus the cool factor of having a 300hp 327, 5spd in a Fiero.

------------------
85GT 5spd ,93 Eldorado 4.9 Dual O2 Custom Chip, Archie Clutch. Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything 245/50/16's Not Your Average 4.9 Capt Fiero Com --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Stock.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
I think the change in the flywheel pilot diameter from about 3.5" to 3" happened for the 1987 model year. If your engine is a 82 you should be just fine. I had a '81 engine that I swapped a '70 flywheel onto.

Good Luck!

Kurt
interceptor429

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for interceptor429Send a Private Message to interceptor429Direct Link to This Post
yes,kurt akx is correct the 87 model went to a 1 piece rear main seal different size crank bolt pattern ,what you have on both the 305 and 327 are the 2 piece rear seal cranks ,you'll be fine with the 327,and you'll love the low rpm torque of the 327, enjoy it ,later
TD37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 05:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Direct Link to This Post
Yeah, like it has been said; SBC's can sort of be divided in half '86 and older and '87 and newer. The rear seal changed as well as being able to accept hydraulic roller lifters. Didn't they also go from internal balance to external? I think that is right. Anyhow, both of you're motors are pretty similiar and you'll be ok.

-Tim
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
only problem with 69 motor is it was built for leaded gas
and used a high compression ratio

so I would do a leak down test to see if the valves are still good
and expect to use hi-test and retarded advance to limit pinging
but saddly the old head and valves willnot live very long with out lead
I see new alloy heads in your future

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2007 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I am going to talk to the owner of the engine more about it. If it is a 69 motor with original heads on it, we will probably pass on it. I love the idea of a 327 in a Fiero. Depending on if the motor is complete carb to pan and the condition of it. If it is a drop in and go, we might take it, however if it needs a rebuild we are really no better off than where we are now. Aside from the coolness of a 327.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2007 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

I am going to talk to the owner of the engine more about it. If it is a 69 motor with original heads on it, we will probably pass on it. I love the idea of a 327 in a Fiero. Depending on if the motor is complete carb to pan and the condition of it. If it is a drop in and go, we might take it, however if it needs a rebuild we are really no better off than where we are now. Aside from the coolness of a 327.

OH NO! Don't pass on the motor just because of the 69 heads. Take em off and sell them at a premium to some collector and then go buy a cheap pair of Vortec 350 heads and a matching Vortec carbed intake manifold from Edelbrock. The Vortec heads are better than the 69 heads so you will actually make MORE power while gaining unleaded compatibility. Just make sure that you know your cam lift and rocker ratio pretty close cause they need a little work (cheap tool though) if you are going to run over .480" lift cam. Vortecs will make one VERY STOUT 327, a guy at my old work did it and put the motor in a Corvair with a V8-Archie-like mid engine install kit and ran low 13s with a broken wrist.

Good luck!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock