Started on: 02-21-2007 11:49 PM
Replies: 1
Last post by: sanderson on 02-22-2007 01:10 PM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
So for the last while I have noticed my 4.9 moving around more than it should, it got so bad that under hard acceleration the alternator pully would slam back into the strut tower and throw a nice spark show out the passenger side deck vent. It really sucked. Today I found out why?

I can't believe it, it is not even the poly that let go, it was the cheap pot metal they used in the shank inside the mount. It tore right apart. Is Energy Suspension really this crappy. I am going to send them these pics and ask them how in the heck this part failed.

It is the 4.9 mount that is on the firewall side below the starter. The force is pretty much straight up at the location of the snap.

I decided I to make my own style of mount. I drilled out the center of the mount, went and bought a large stainless bolt. (guy said it was = to a grade 18 bolt )
Ran a large bolt through the center. Drilled a 3/4" hole in the mount bracket and ran the bolt through that as well. So now the mount when at rest or decel is sitting on the cushion of the poly, but under load, the bolt locks it like a solid mount. I am sorry I did not take pics after it was done, but I was too eager to get it installed on the car and take it for a test drive.

The test drive went great, it is solid as a rock and I don't think I will ever have to replace that again. The brackets that the mount goes into is 1/4 plate steel.

------------------
85GT 5spd ,93 Eldorado 4.9 Dual O2 Custom Chip, Archie Clutch. Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything 245/50/16's Not Your Average 4.9 Capt Fiero Com --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Stock.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sanderson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting this. I too built the motor mounts using these Energy suspension transmission mounts. The cars not on the road yet but I have wondered if the front mount was going to survive. The torque of the engine will act to try to pull the mount apart whereas they were probably designed for mainly down force. Your fix sounds like a good one. I may modify my mount that way before I put the car on the road.
IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock