Started on: 02-17-2007 06:47 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: wiccantoy on 02-18-2007 02:45 PM
wiccantoy

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2007 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wiccantoySend a Private Message to wiccantoyDirect Link to This Post
O.K. here is where i am having problems. Hopefully someone on here can lend a hand. I have everything in my sig done to my 4.9. Now here is the problem. I have everything set to where it is supposed to be set at and when cold and under a load (driving down the road) it dogs down like there is a dead spot in the t.b. . When I had the engine in and it was stock it seemed a little rich, and it seems even more rich now. Ive pulled the dip stick to smell the oil and it has been smelling like fuel. So I change it anytime it seems that way. Keep in mind there are no more than 30 miles on the swap and the oil has been changed 3 times due to fear of washing the oil off the cylinder walls. The engine sounds mean as hell when sitting still and revving a little. But seems like there is something else missing, such as the chip needing to be reprogrammed, or maybe a stuck injector. Any idea’s, oh it had rockcrawls chip in it when the engine was stock. He is supposed to look at it but at the moment he is a little busy which I can understand.

------------------

DONE: 86gt 5 speed 4.9 complete rebuild with buds outback northstar pistons , delta cams E303 cam , full ported , polished , stronger head springs, and flow tested heads and manifolds. rockcrawl's custom chip , polished crank . too much to list

88 coupe t-top #656 1 of only 339 base coupes made
85 t-top
87gt parts car
86 and 87 fiero database www.geocities.com/cwandall/fiero.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2007 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Temp sensors. Coolant temp or air temp. (Does the 4.9 have an air temp sensor? )
If the ECM thinks the engine is extremely cold (which is the direction of how the sensors usually fail) it will dump in a bunch of fuel to compensate.
You can check for a leaking injector by watching fuel pressure. It ought to take several minutes to bleed off after you stop the engine. (At least I think the Caddy is like a 2.8 in that regard.)
What do the plugs look like? If they're all sooty, it's probably a sensor or tuning problem. I can't imagine that you'd have 8 leaking injectors.
wiccantoy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2007 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wiccantoySend a Private Message to wiccantoyDirect Link to This Post
well anyone know how to hook up a fuel pressure guage on a 4.9? and which one to get? ill order one and try it
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2007 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
Any standard EFI fuel pressure gauge will work. You can buy one for about $30 or so from Pep Girls or AutoZone. It screws onto the schrader valve on the end of the fuel rail. I'll see if I can dig up a pic somewhere.

Here....this should help.

[This message has been edited by Frizlefrak (edited 02-18-2007).]

wiccantoy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2007 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wiccantoySend a Private Message to wiccantoyDirect Link to This Post
going to have to try those options , thanks. anyone else choose to chime in or is that along others idea's also?
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2007 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Temp sensors. Coolant temp or air temp. (Does the 4.9 have an air temp sensor? )
If the ECM thinks the engine is extremely cold (which is the direction of how the sensors usually fail) it will dump in a bunch of fuel to compensate.
You can check for a leaking injector by watching fuel pressure. It ought to take several minutes to bleed off after you stop the engine. (At least I think the Caddy is like a 2.8 in that regard.)
What do the plugs look like? If they're all sooty, it's probably a sensor or tuning problem. I can't imagine that you'd have 8 leaking injectors.

What he said - also add to the list O2 sensor. Does the car go into closed loop mode? Is the tps sender set up correctly? Any codes?

wiccantoy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2007 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wiccantoySend a Private Message to wiccantoyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

What he said - also add to the list O2 sensor. Does the car go into closed loop mode? Is the tps sender set up correctly? Any codes?

not sure i have to hook up my snap on scanner to it first but i have no check engine light comeing on. just dont want to run it too long . but i can change the oil again its no biggie

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock