Audi 5000 transmissions by Daviero
Started on: 02-09-2007 06:02 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Darth V8r on 02-22-2007 08:13 PM
Daviero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2007 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DavieroSend a Private Message to DavieroDirect Link to This Post
I'm wanting to discuss the Audi 5000 transmission for an inline installation.
Points I would like to discuss are:
-is the manual stronger than the auto or is the automatic equal?
-is the automatic physically similar to the manual as seen in this link? http://www.lambolounge.com/...ission/5000/5000.asp
- is there any reason to stay away from an automatic that may not be obvious at first? (They seem more plentifull than the manual as there are 2 of the 5000S automatics in the local U-pull but no manals)
- is there anything special required to shift the Audi 5000 automatic like the requirements of the Cadillac 4T80E?
- have there been any auto 5000 transaxles used in in-line swaps to date?
Any knowledgeable input would be much appreciated.
Dave
------------------
Daviero - 88 N* GT

[This message has been edited by Daviero (edited 02-09-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Darrelk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DarrelkClick Here to visit Darrelk's HomePageSend a Private Message to DarrelkDirect Link to This Post
I think you need to talk to Kennedy Engineering about those trannys. Kennedy has been using those particular Audi units for adaptions for many years now. You'll find their web site at... http://www.kennedyeng.com/
Click on the words down near the bottom of the page that says "Other Adaptions" and look near the bottom of that page. They talk about some of the motors they set-up with manual trannys. I've used Kennedy for several adaptions over the last 20 years and they've never steered me wrong.
Daviero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DavieroSend a Private Message to DavieroDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I have read the Kennedy site and see they have an adaptor setup for a Chev V8 to a 5000. I was thinking Northstar actually. I already have one transverse mounted to a getrag 5spd. Some digging rewarded this data on the Audi 5000:

Type: 5000S 5000CS
Gear Ratios: Manual (Auto) Manual (Auto)
1st 3.60:1 (2.71:1) 3.60:1 (2.71:1)
2nd 2.13:1 (1.50:1) 2.13:1 (1.50:1)
3rd 1.36:1 (1.00:1) 1.36:1 (1.00:1)
4th 0.97:1 (----) 0.97:1 (----)
5th 0.73:1 (----) 0.73:1 (----)
reverse 3.50:1 (2.43:1) 3.50:1 (2.43:1)
final drive 4.11:1 (3.46:1) 3.89:1 (3.25:1)
The CS turbo is the same as the S except the final drive is faster. Not sure which one mightbe better but I suppose pickers cannot be choosers?
I had thought the auto was a 4spd but it is only a 3 spd. Not quite what I was hoping for, but in the absense of a manual without spending excessively on a new or rebuilt, I'd still like to get some input on my original questions about the automatic. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

------------------
Daviero - 88 N* GT

Daviero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DavieroSend a Private Message to DavieroDirect Link to This Post
Well folks, judging by the number of views to this thread, it is at least of some interest, but by the number of responses, the topic is not widely known. I will thus add some info I got from Bubbajoe on his thread: ( https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/033676-52.html )
Originally posted by Daviero:

BubbaJoe - I editted the link - its correct now. I'm wondering about the auto transaxle vrs the 5 spd. Auto's seem more plentifull in the yards - two here in Thunder Bay. No 5 spds. I don't want to (interpret: can't afford to) spend the big bucks on a rebuilt.

Bubbajoe's answer:

"unless you are getting a 90+ auto dont bother the early ones are not that good many problems with second gear"

So there we have it. Pre '90 audi 5000 automatic transmissions for an inline installation maynot be a good selection, despite their availability.
Any other thoughts or experience? Anyone?

------------------
Daviero - 88 N* GT

scrabblegod

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scrabblegodSend a Private Message to scrabblegodDirect Link to This Post
Go to www.lambolounge.com and in the chassis section, there are several good pieces on the audi trans. It is about the same trans as one of the Porsche, and they go into the differences.

Good read.

Gene
THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post
I think there was a thread on Aris Kitcar forum that went over on how to rebuild this Audi Trannys to be nearly indistructable.

Try to do a search there, since most of the people who have the most experience with this transmisions are the kit car fellows.

Take care,
JG
Darth V8r

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth V8rSend a Private Message to Darth V8rDirect Link to This Post
Would anyone be able to hazard a guess if it would be possible to run a longitudinal SBC V8 with the Audi transaxle without stretching the car?

Toaster_Man

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster_ManSend a Private Message to Toaster_ManDirect Link to This Post
If memory serves, it's really close if you cut the trunk and do things like an electric water pump. But I think it is still hugging the firewall after all that. I think the hardest part is getting the engine/trans far enough forward for the axles to line up with the stock position, that's where the stretch really helps out.

------------------

Don't look now, but I think the idiots have taken over the asylum.

AIM: JSAL86

Darth V8r

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth V8rSend a Private Message to Darth V8rDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toaster_Man:

If memory serves, it's really close if you cut the trunk and do things like an electric water pump. But I think it is still hugging the firewall after all that. I think the hardest part is getting the engine/trans far enough forward for the axles to line up with the stock position, that's where the stretch really helps out.

Interesting. I could deal with the engine being pushed way forward. I like the idea of a remote water pump anyway.

What kind of angle can we run the half shafts at when viewed in the top down view? I'm guessing ~15 degrees would be bearable on a long term basis? You'd likely have to resign yourself to custom axles with this setup anyway so it's not a big deal to make them an extra ~.5" longer to deal with the angled route of the axles.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock