need tuning help by fieroman22
Started on: 02-05-2007 03:36 AM
Replies: 16
Last post by: 3800superfast on 02-07-2007 04:19 AM
fieroman22

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman22Send a Private Message to fieroman22Direct Link to This Post
ok i have a 3.2 v6 with nearly everything, but biggest thing has a crane 272 cam, but it wouldnt idle right, but would driv e fine, recently i bought a chip from westers garage and it still ran bad, so i installed a fuel pres reg and started at 40 psi since thats about stock and it still ran rich, it actually ran so rich it gouled the plugs, also got a new chip with smaller injector pulse and new plugs and at 20 psi now instead of 40 and still shows a rich mixture, not getting the engine code now but 02 sensor reads rich. but at 20 psi thats not right though wwhen you give it gas it takes half a sec to kick in, whats wrong, why wont my engine run right, where should my fuel pres reg be at?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DRA

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 05:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroman22:

ok i have a 3.2 v6 with nearly everything, but biggest thing has a crane 272 cam, but it wouldnt idle right, but would driv e fine, recently i bought a chip from westers garage and it still ran bad, so i installed a fuel pres reg and started at 40 psi since thats about stock and it still ran rich, it actually ran so rich it gouled the plugs, also got a new chip with smaller injector pulse and new plugs and at 20 psi now instead of 40 and still shows a rich mixture, not getting the engine code now but 02 sensor reads rich. but at 20 psi thats not right though wwhen you give it gas it takes half a sec to kick in, whats wrong, why wont my engine run right, where should my fuel pres reg be at?

Not sure I can be of any help on this one but could you give a little more info.
What size injectors are you running?
When you say you've tried other chips, what do you mean, custom or off the shelf?
Do yu have the tables/specs for those chips?
Is this a stroked/bored 2.8?
What intake are you running?
Any additional details?

------------------
Don't take life too seriously -- you'll never get out if it alive.

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
I`m with DRA on this one---need more info--if I had to guess at the hesitation--I would check the tps, that will give you hesitation at launch, next would be the timing ,low out-put from injectors, at idle you should be in the 36-38lbs, when blipped it should shoot up to 42lbs , then quickly drop back down. Have you run a complete leak down test on the fuel system--this would be a good place to start. Do you have the winaldl program--this would help speed up the process and nail it down pretty quick, so your not tossing money and guess work at it.
http://winaldl.joby.se/
fieroman22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman22Send a Private Message to fieroman22Direct Link to This Post
no i odnt have access to that program or even the know how, no fuel leaks, timing is good, spark plugs good, eveything is new. ok yes its a bored/stroked 2.8, heres the list as far as i can remember:

2.8 stroked to 3.1 bored .040 to 3.2
crane 272 cam
fidanza 8lb flywheel
upgraded valvetrain to comp with cam
trueleo short ram intake
57mm ported tb
crx cai
wcf long tube headers
full 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust
flowmaster series 80 muffler
walbro 255 lph fuel pump
17# accel injectors
adj fuel pres reg
accel 8mm spark wires
msd coil
a custom chip from westers garage to deal with all of these items, even the stock and hypertech chip were making it run rich but hey those chips werent made for this setup either, the chip i have now should. but again im at 20psi now and still reads rich, 40 psi was way to rich and fouled my plugs this doesnt sound right since stock is close to 40 psi.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
What thermostat temp are you running? If it is not 195*, the ECM may be continually commanding a rich mixture trying to warm the engine to 195*.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post

Hudini

9029 posts
Member since Feb 2006

SNIP
no i odnt have access to that program or even the know how
SNIP

The Winaldl program ( http://winaldl.joby.se/ ) coupled with the ALDL cable ( http://couleefiero.tripod.com/ALDL.htm ) is very nice for troubleshooting and tuning in that it lets you see what the ECM is seeing and not have to guess. The parts for the ALDL cable are cheap, easily available, and easy to assemble with the most minor of skills and tools. The program works best with a serial cable connection (DB9) on an old laptop running windows. It took me about 2 hours of slow and careful work to assemble my cable and another hour to download and setup/hookup the computer. It worked the first time and now I know exactly what my engine sensors are telling the ECM.

EDIT: I forgot to add that you can just buy the ALDL cable outright if you do not want to make it yourself.

[This message has been edited by Hudini (edited 02-05-2007).]

fieroman22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 03:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman22Send a Private Message to fieroman22Direct Link to This Post
well i dont actually have a thermo in there, for some reason eveyone i get goes bad, so it just keeps going, but that shouldnt have anthing to do with the comp making it run rich, and i have no comp skills with programs like that and i dont really want to try, but im up for more suggestions?
fieroman22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 04:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman22Send a Private Message to fieroman22Direct Link to This Post

fieroman22

592 posts
Member since Oct 2005
but maybe i will give it a try what all dose the program do?
DRA

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post

well i dont actually have a thermo in there, for some reason eveyone i get goes bad, so it just keeps going, but that shouldnt have anthing to do with the comp making it run rich,

Originally posted by Hudini:

What thermostat temp are you running? If it is not 195*, the ECM may be continually commanding a rich mixture trying to warm the engine to 195*.

Reducing the fuel pressure is not going to eliminate the rich condition, the computer is supposed to adjust the fuel/air ratio regardless, either your ECM is getting no data or bad data, or the fuel tables on the chip are not optimized for your setup.
Or I could be full of BS and have no idea what I'm talking about LOL.

------------------
Don't take life too seriously -- you'll never get out if it alive.

fieroman22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman22Send a Private Message to fieroman22Direct Link to This Post
no that makes sense, im gonna try the winaldl thing and see what i can get out of it, bought the cable, ha im lazy, im sure i could have made one. hopefully i can get her running good, i miss driving the damn thing/.
texmark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texmarkSend a Private Message to texmarkDirect Link to This Post
Get a GM or Stant thermostat, not the cheap ones at Auto Zone. With the eng not heating-up properly, it's going to stay on the rich side. It's never a good idea to run without a thermostat. This possible solution is a lot cheaper than the program etc.
PFF
System Bot
p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post
How do you know your engine is running RICH?

Did you check the cold start injector? If that is stuck open you will run rich. What is your fuel mileage?
fieroman22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman22Send a Private Message to fieroman22Direct Link to This Post
reading the 02 sensor as stated above, doubt it could be the cold start but ill look into that, and ill get a thermo for sure, fuel mileage sucks 12ish when it ran, but again that was mostly not being tuned right.
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post

but maybe i will give it a try what all dose the program do?

The program is free, it will basically tell you everything going on, and take the guess work out of problems your having. When you get the cable and download the program (easy) installed to your lap top, you`ll be taking sensor data logs, don`t worry right now about how to read them, you can either post the logs here or send them to me/us I`ll be glad to look them over, theres a big article that explains all this--but for right now--just get us logs, and we`ll go from there....
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post

3800superfast

8568 posts
Member since Apr 2004

Originally posted by DRA:
Reducing the fuel pressure is not going to eliminate the rich condition, the computer is supposed to adjust the fuel/air ratio regardless, either your ECM is getting no data or bad data, or the fuel tables on the chip are not optimized for your setup.

Or I could be full of BS and have no idea what I'm talking about LOL.

LMAO, Iv`e always wanted to add that to a post......LOL.......
fieroman22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman22Send a Private Message to fieroman22Direct Link to This Post
lol, thanx yeah i already downloaded it easy and fast, i really hope its an easy fix and i get it running right soon, im scared ive done soo much i wont get it to run right but i know others have done same setup before. i really dont want to get into bodywork until i know for sure my enigne will run right. i cant wait to drive it again. been months at least.
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 04:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
I know what you mean--been working on a 3.2 stroker --still deciding on the trueleo package or what way to go with it, all I have left is the external bolt-ons , then its going into the 87GT 5 speed getrag.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock