Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Will Big 4.9 alternator (140 amp) fit on Allante intake?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Will Big 4.9 alternator (140 amp) fit on Allante intake? by v8fiero400
Started on: 02-03-2007 11:32 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: v8fiero400 on 03-28-2007 09:39 PM
v8fiero400

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2007 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for v8fiero400Click Here to visit v8fiero400's HomePageSend a Private Message to v8fiero400Direct Link to This Post

Can 4.9 bracket and alternator be modified to fit the Allante intake?.... or should I find an Allante alternator bracket

..... I would rather save money and reuse the 4.9 alternator..... that plus it can put out 140 amps.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2007 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
Ok, I'm going to try and make sense of this for you.

Both the Allante, and stock 4.9 alt. bracket are held in by 5 rather large bolts. Just an FYI, but will come into play later.

Both brackets are both specific to the intake, as well as the alternator. What this means is, you can't put a stock alt. in an Allante bracket, and cannot put an Allante alt in a stock bracket. And neither one of them will fit the other intake..... without modification.

Since I already had a New stock alternator, and didn't want to go buy another one just to use with the Allante intake, I looked at why the stock bracket won't bolt to the Allante intake. Reason being, the runners do not allow room for the rear two bolts. So, simple solution, I cut off the rear two bolt holes on the stock bracket, and bolted the bracket down with the remaining 3 bolts. The stock Alt. now fits perfectly, and is very stable, because as stated before, you still have 3 bolts to hold the main bracket down.

Or you could pick up an Allante Alt, and use that bracket. Either way will work fine. I'll see if any of my pics show that cut bracket that i'm using.

Eric

------------------

Used is such a harsh term. . . I perfer "Previously obsessed over"
88 base coupe: "She thinks my tractor's sexy..... it really turns 'er on"
Wait. . . Did I just say I can't wait to do more work on my Fiero?. . .what, am I retarded?

Said by Crazy Dave "You can take Steve out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of Steve."

(\__/)
(='.'=) <<<< Cute Bunny.
(")_(")

[This message has been edited by Racingman24 (edited 02-04-2007).]

opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2007 05:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
If you look thru some of the later pages of the Pantera Parts thread, you will see a 4.9 with Allante intake, with a 4.9 alternator. The Allante alternator bracket was just about cut in half, and then additional brackets were fabricated. All in all it worked out just fine, just a lot of work. If you go that route & want more pics, let me know.

David Breeze

------------------

Pantera Rebody Kits

v8fiero400

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2007 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for v8fiero400Click Here to visit v8fiero400's HomePageSend a Private Message to v8fiero400Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Racingman24:

Ok, I'm going to try and make sense of this for you.

Both the Allante, and stock 4.9 alt. bracket are held in by 5 rather large bolts. Just an FYI, but will come into play later.

Both brackets are both specific to the intake, as well as the alternator. What this means is, you can't put a stock alt. in an Allante bracket, and cannot put an Allante alt in a stock bracket. And neither one of them will fit the other intake..... without modification.

Since I already had a New stock alternator, and didn't want to go buy another one just to use with the Allante intake, I looked at why the stock bracket won't bolt to the Allante intake. Reason being, the runners do not allow room for the rear two bolts. So, simple solution, I cut off the rear two bolt holes on the stock bracket, and bolted the bracket down with the remaining 3 bolts. The stock Alt. now fits perfectly, and is very stable, because as stated before, you still have 3 bolts to hold the main bracket down.

Or you could pick up an Allante Alt, and use that bracket. Either way will work fine. I'll see if any of my pics show that cut bracket that i'm using.

Eric

Thank you very much! This is what I needed to know ...... +++
v8fiero400

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for v8fiero400Click Here to visit v8fiero400's HomePageSend a Private Message to v8fiero400Direct Link to This Post
Well I grinded the 4.9 alternator bracket to fit on the allante intake manifold. I grinded as little as possible and is a lot more complete than the other photos I've seen on modified brackets. My bracket still retains the rear part of the bracket that bolts to the rear of the altenator. The only disadvantage to this is that the alternator bracket needs to removed before you can get access to the bolts that hold the upper plenum to the base. I took pictures and will post them later when I have more time

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock