fabled single bbl tbi? by cell
Started on: 01-22-2007 07:51 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: josef644 on 01-25-2007 08:45 PM
cell

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cellSend a Private Message to cellDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have any pictures of this fabled creature?

I was recently reading the wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Duke_%28engine%29#Tech_IV) about the "iron duke" (the 151 cu. in. inline-4), and it mentioned how the "tech-4" iteration of this motor was outfitted with a single barrel, single injector fuel injection system. It also mentioned that this engine was used in the fiero.

I am in the middle of converting a 292 inline-6 to FI, and this would be exactly what I need to replace my existing 1 bbl carb. Does anyone have any pictures of this little bad boy? Specifically, what the mounting interface to the intake manifold looks like?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jax184

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jax184Click Here to visit Jax184's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jax184Direct Link to This Post
There are two different styles with different intake manifolds to match. The 300 series from '84 to '86 and the 700 series from '87-'88. Unfortunatly I don't have any pictures of them.
Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post
If you do adapt a TBI to a 292 I'd be interested in a write-up. I have a 215, 235, and 292 engines that could always use upgrades.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
While I don't have anything helpful for you, I just amused myself with the thought of using 6 of these TB's on your engine. How are the ports paired?
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
If you ask nicely in the mall section someone might send you one for free Here's a pic of the super-rare Holley TBI, it's almost identical to the production one:

THESE usually go for $250+

And here's the base gasket:

There's some pics of the stock base unit here also:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/024821.html

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

[This message has been edited by RWDPLZ (edited 01-22-2007).]

KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cell:

Does anyone have any pictures of this fabled creature?

I was recently reading the wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Duke_%28engine%29#Tech_IV) about the "iron duke" (the 151 cu. in. inline-4), and it mentioned how the "tech-4" iteration of this motor was outfitted with a single barrel, single injector fuel injection system. It also mentioned that this engine was used in the fiero.

I am in the middle of converting a 292 inline-6 to FI, and this would be exactly what I need to replace my existing 1 bbl carb. Does anyone have any pictures of this little bad boy? Specifically, what the mounting interface to the intake manifold looks like?

That's really not what you need. I don't believe there is enough fuel injector to supply the 2.5. You would be far better off picking up a 5.0 V8 TBI or a 4.3 V6 TBI and using an Offy or Clifford intake. That way you won't have to do anything crazy like run huge fuel pressure to get enough flow through the little 2.5 injector.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I Agree.
pswayne

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pswayneSend a Private Message to pswayneDirect Link to This Post
My brother's putting a TBI on his old Jeep wagoneer V8. I'll ask him what he's using.
pswayne

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2007 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pswayneSend a Private Message to pswayneDirect Link to This Post
My brother's getting his TBI from this guy:
http://customefis.com/
He'll do a custom one for your engine.

cell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2007 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cellSend a Private Message to cellDirect Link to This Post
hmm, that gasket looks totally different from mine:

http://www.ices.utexas.edu/...mages/c10-gasket.jpg

oh well. I will be taking a welding course in march, so hopefully I will be able to fabricate something to house the injector. luckily, the throttle plate assembly detaches from my carburetor, so I can use the existing throttle plate and throttle linkage.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2007 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
These injector units are based om the old CFM, or cubic feet per min of air flow. If you do this swap, a two hole TBI from a 4.3 chevy will fill your bill. Thats a 262 cid engine. A 4.3 and a 305 (or 5.0 L) chevy engine's both use the same TBI injector unit. These single injector units on the Duke's will starve a 292 to death.
Joe
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock