Started on: 01-18-2007 03:58 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: buddycraigg on 01-19-2007 05:52 PM
DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2007 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post
what do you think is causing my check engine light to come on.
I can drive the car all day long at 60mph for any number of miles with no problems, ,but once I hit 65mph the check engine light comes on. The car still runs fine and if you turn it off the then back on the light is off until I hit 65 again. Any ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2007 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
check the code. that will tell you why its coming on. jumper a nd b terminals on the obd1 port. check your manual for detailed instructions including the codes. really simple and a must know for any vehicle owner!
luvin_my_fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2007 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for luvin_my_fieroClick Here to visit luvin_my_fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to luvin_my_fieroDirect Link to This Post
more than likely its the EGR circuit..most likely the EGR solenoid.

------------------
Keith
Topsail Beach,NC
86&87 Fiero GT
86&96 Corvette
04 Harley Davidson Softail
73 Lotus Europa Twin Cam
86 Lotus Turbo Esprit

"He who dies with the most toys wins!!!"

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2007 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
sure sounds like a code 32 to me dave, but it could be a 24.

let us know what you come up with after checking the codes.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2007 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Code 32 and a vacuum leak in the EGR rubber lines somewhere is my guess.
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2007 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
Just in case you don;t know, here is how to pull them and a list of what the codes are:

https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi?ECMCodes
DL10

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2007 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post
Thanks to all ...........it was a code 32 and I think it's a vacuum leak where I used a piece of rubber tubing to connect the line to the egr valve. How do you tell if it's a leak or a bad EGR solenoid?

[This message has been edited by DL10 (edited 01-19-2007).]

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2007 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DL10:
How do you tell if it's a leak or a bad EGR solenoid?

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/045528.html
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2007 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
how long ago did you replace the line?
has your check engine light always came on above 65, or did it just start?
has there been any other work done that may have knocked off or broken a vacuum line recently?

about the line that you replaced. does it go from the egr valve to the solenoid?
and if it does, are you on the fitting that tees off to go to the vacuum sensor?
it's the smaller one with the red arrow pointing to it

follow the dark blue line

testing for a vacuum leak is tricky with the egr system.
the vacuum comes from the throttle body to the egr solenoid. in the red line.
when the computer wants the egr valve to open, it powers the solenoid. and then dark blue line has vacuum.
but the hole on the throttle body is ported, so there isn't any vacuum at idle. you would probably have to have the rpm above 1500 before it would start to create vacuum.

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 01-19-2007).]

DL10

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2007 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post
I would like to add that this post did start out as kind of a lie...........I was doing a little test. I won’t go into that here, some people knew what I was doing...look in the Trash can if you want to know about it.
I really did have this problem, still do. I have really never worried about it as it doesn't seem to affect the way the car runs........I've driven it this way since 1997.........I know I'm a dumb ass but what does this problem really hurt?? gas mileage? Anything?

. I apologize if you feel I wasted your time. And thanks again for proving that Pennocks is the best place out there for help with your Fiero.

[This message has been edited by DL10 (edited 01-19-2007).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2007 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
I had the same problem for two years on my 87 GT even after replacing the EGR selinoid. When I complained to Bob at Twin Lakes he said he'd fix it replacing the bad rubber lines to the selinoid. The problem went away and hasn't returned. Those EGR selinoids are pricey.
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2007 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
well, you do still have the problem.
if you want to do some testing from that thread i wrote, you can figure it out.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock