PCMs amd ECMs by Knight
Started on: 01-13-2007 01:54 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Knight on 01-13-2007 11:27 PM
Knight

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2007 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightDirect Link to This Post
Please help. Anybody know where I can find out which PCM / ECM works with which engine and the capabilities of each.
I am just starting to modify my Fiero and am currently looking at a 7730 upgrade as per Darth Fiero . Currently I am looking at 3400 vs 4.3 Chevy.
Anyway, What EFI type will the 7730 support. (MPI, bank fire, SFI?)
Tuners, please help! I am looking at the 7730 because of the ease of upgrade and benefits as per Darth Fiero on the 2.8/3.1/3.4 engine with Fiero accessories.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
81tta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2007 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 81ttaSend a Private Message to 81ttaDirect Link to This Post
Here's some info on PCM/ECMs and their applications:

http://www.cruzers.com/~ludis/c3xref.html
http://www.cruzers.com/~ludis/p4xref.html

Obviously, if you're planning on custom tuning, the possibilities open up quite a bit from what's listed.....
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2007 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
The 7730 is a batch fire only ECM, It can handle from 4-8 cylenders, with a distributor on 4 6 or 8, and DIS on the 6's, perhaps it can handle it on the other two if modified. Most of the code types associated with this ECM are hacked, and quite tuneable. This ECM also communicates at 8192, meaning the datalogs are pretty fast and useable. This ECM is primarily used with Speed Density systems (with a MAP sensor) but is capable of using a MAF in some applications. Best part is it fits in the 87-88 4 cyl fiero holder.
GT2efiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2007 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT2efieroSend a Private Message to GT2efieroDirect Link to This Post
Yeah i strongly suggest the cruzers.com websites listed by 81tta that site is more for doing it yourself, but there is tons of info there. Helped me out alot
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2007 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightDirect Link to This Post
Correct me if I am wrong. From what I have found out the following is true:
*The only difference between the 7727 and the 7730 is that the 7727 is 'weatherproofed' to be used in the engine compartment. If this is true, are the connector plugs identical?
*The only difference between the 7730 and the 7749 (Turbo 4.3 Syclone/Typhoon) is the 7749 is missing one quad driver and has additional injector driver. Are the connector harness plugs the same?
*The EPROMs are the same between all three. Two EPROMs are used: 27C128 16K * 8 or 27C256 32K * 8. Does that mean that one is a 16K, 8 bit processor and one is a 32K 8 bit processor? Or am I reading it wrong? What is the rel world difference between the two in terms of programing and function/abilities?
*The 7730 can replace the 7170 used in the Fiero with minimal modifications.
*The 7730 was placed in an "underhood case" for use in the McLarren 3.1L Turbo Grand Prix (Called the 7727)

Now since the 3.1 turbo uses a a 7727 (7730 encased), is there any real advantage to using a 7749 for a turbo application 3400? Is the only benefits to the 7749 the ability to control an additional injector? What is a quad driver? Is it a fuel injection driver and if so is that used for the 3.1 turbo?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thank you 81tta and Darth Fiero for the info and sites that have helped me so fa. I am so grateful to everybody that is helping me figure out how to upgrade my 2.8 to a 3400 with eventually a turbo. I am so electrically challenged!

81tta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2007 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 81ttaSend a Private Message to 81ttaDirect Link to This Post
*The only difference between the 7727 and the 7730 is that the 7727 is 'weatherproofed' to be used in the engine compartment. If this is true, are the connector plugs identical?
-- The "functionality" is identical. However, the connectors are *very* different.
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/diy-prom/3694...

*The only difference between the 7730 and the 7749 (Turbo 4.3 Syclone/Typhoon) is the 7749 is missing one quad driver and has additional injector driver. Are the connector harness plugs the same?
-- The harness plugs are identical between the ECMs. However, the pinouts for the ECMs vary a little bit. Here's more reading.
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/power-adder/1...

*The EPROMs are the same between all three. Two EPROMs are used: 27C128 16K * 8 or 27C256 32K * 8. Does that mean that one is a 16K, 8 bit processor and one is a 32K 8 bit processor? Or am I reading it wrong? What is the rel world difference between the two in terms of programing and function/abilities?
-- The 128k chip was used in the 7749 ECMs with $58 (Sy/Ty) code masks. The 256k chip was used on the 7730s on masks used in thirdgen F-bodies. There are patches out there that allow the use of the 256k chip in the $58/7749 mask.

I'd suggest looking around thirdgen.org for future questions you're bound to have. Although the discussions are more centered around the V8 applications, you will find answers about the hardware. And, you'll find a lot of people in a similar situation considering the best way to approach boosting an engine relative to the engine control system.

Good luck!!
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2007 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightDirect Link to This Post
81tta, thank you very much! Now I have yet another forum to search and ask people who know more and have far more experience than I do with engines. I really do appreciate it.
--Reese

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock