85GT auto - trans throttle cable adjustment by Carrolles
Started on: 01-09-2007 12:58 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: GKDINC on 01-11-2007 03:20 PM
Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2007 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesDirect Link to This Post
My 85GT auto does not upshift if I hold the throttle wide open. I have to let up on the gas a bit and it will upshift.

I tried to adjust the tv cable according to the service manual but it looks like it is already adjusted. Maybe I don't fully understand the instructions.

Would someone care to give a shot at explaining the procedure? Pictures would be helpful.

Thanks,

Carroll
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Carrolles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesDirect Link to This Post
Bump
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
It's kind of a PITA...
On the bracket the holds the TV cable, there should be a button or latch (probably underneath) that latches the outer sheath into the adjuster and bracket.
Depress that button, then pull the outer sheath back, away from the throttle body.

Once you've done that, grab the throttle (at the throttle body) and twist it wide open. The tension on the TV cable will make the sheath slide back into the adjuster (it will make a zzzzzit! sound)

That should be all that's necessary.

It's also possible that the cable has come undone from inside the tranny (or broken).
You can test this by pulling the clip off of the throttle, and removing the TV cable from the peg. If you pull on the end of the TV cable, it should be under just a slight amount of tension, and spring back when you let it go.
At the tranny end, It's a single 10mm (IIRC) hex screw that holds the cable bushing into the tranny. The cable is hooked into a slide (or lever) just underneath that bushing.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-10-2007).]

Paul Prince

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carrolles:

My 85GT auto does not upshift if I hold the throttle wide open. I have to let up on the gas a bit and it will upshift.

I tried to adjust the tv cable according to the service manual but it looks like it is already adjusted. Maybe I don't fully understand the instructions.

Would someone care to give a shot at explaining the procedure? Pictures would be helpful.

Thanks,

Carroll

No pics, and the manual can be confusing:

At the throttle body where the TV cable connects to the TB, it is easier for me to remove the TV cable (it snaps in to the bracket). If you cannot get it off take the whole bracket off.

There is a silver button on the underside of the TV cable, push it in and push the TV cable ratcheting mechanism "in" (towards the battery).

Push the TV cable back into bracket, then rotate the TB (by hand) to WOT, the cable will ratchet to the correct position.

Having said all that, if you have not had the TV cable off and the car started doing this, the cable could be broke or binding, in which case it must be replaced.

Do not operate the car with a misadjusted TV cable (which controls hydraulic pressure in the tranny) or you will have to rebuild the tranny in less than two weeks.....Paul

Carrolles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies. I looked at the cable at the throttle linkage and it seemed to be tight against the stop indicating it is adjusted. Maybe it is too tight.

I receltly bought this car and it's been doing it since I got it. The engine was replaced by Chevrolet several years ago. I don't know if it did this while the previous owner had the car. If I back off the throttle just a bit it will upshift. So, hopefully, a cable adjustment is all it needs.

I'll give it a try again.

Thanks,

Carroll

[This message has been edited by Carrolles (edited 01-10-2007).]

Bruno Mid Engine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bruno Mid EngineSend a Private Message to Bruno Mid EngineDirect Link to This Post
In my case the old cable had become stretched, managed to find a NOS one by haveing a local GM dealer do a nation wide search. Werks great now. But that is JMHO
Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carrolles:

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the cable at the throttle linkage and it seemed to be tight against the stop indicating it is adjusted. Maybe it is too tight.

I receltly bought this car and it's been doing it since I got it. The engine was replaced by Chevrolet several years ago. I don't know if it did this while the previous owner had the car. If I back off the throttle just a bit it will upshift. So, hopefully, a cable adjustment is all it needs.

I'll give it a try again.

Thanks,

Carroll

Long or delayed shifts are an indication that it is loose (or broke). The TV cable may have come loose from the connection inside the tranny. The tranny connection is an "L" shaped wire and the TV cable has an "eye" that slips into the "L".

If you disconnect the TV cable at the TB and pull on it, there should be an increasing resistance the farther you pull.

I am not sure if new TV cables are available (unless there is one used in another GM car that would fit a Fiero). I know Fiero Store bought a bunch of GM cables, but they sold them all a few years ago AFAIK..

Anyway you want to get this fixed ASAP, because the tranny will start slipping, 3rd gear, then 2nd, then nothing and the only fix at this point would be a rebuild.......Paul

edit just to say that the ratcheting mechanism could also be broke, since it is plastic and becomes brittle over time.

[This message has been edited by Paul Prince (edited 01-10-2007).]

2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
I couldn't find a new replacement when I needed one. Ended up buying a good used one off of someone parting out an automatic Fiero. The 4s and 6s use different lengths so they are not interchangable
Carrolles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2007 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesDirect Link to This Post
ttt
GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2007 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post
Have you adjusted the cable since starting this post? If the TV cable seems tight, I would first check to see that it's going to full throttle. If that is good you can adjust one click at a time ( in or out) and see if there is any change (one run, adjust, one run adjust)
Like others have said, if misadjusted it won't take long to smoke the tranny.
Good Luck
Gary

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock