found 2 relay lookin thingys.... by romeo
Started on: 12-23-2006 05:34 PM
Replies: 25
Last post by: 2farnorth on 01-01-2007 10:07 AM
romeo

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2006 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for romeoSend a Private Message to romeoDirect Link to This Post
in the rear passenger wheelwell of my 85gt fiero. what are these things? they kind of look like the fuel pump relay in teh enging compartment. are these for the brake lights and turn signal lights ?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post12-23-2006 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
There aren't any relay-type thingies in the wheelwells as standard, as far as I know!! Can you get a picture? Maybe somebody has relocated the fuelpump and A/C relays for some reason? ?? How many terminals on each relay...and what stops working if you disconnect them?
Nick
romeo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2006 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for romeoSend a Private Message to romeoDirect Link to This Post
well, one of them is completely burned out. like it was in a fire burned out. the fuel pump relay is against the firewall. these are located in the rear of the pass side rear wheelwell.....ill try and get apic of them tomorrow. does anyone know if the turn signal wires that go to the rear brake and signal lights have a relay before goin to the light bulbs?cause my rear right signal and brake lights dont work but the rear lights for drivin come on when i turn my headlights on like they are supposed to.
2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2006 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
The only stock thing I can think of in that general area is the trunk mounted fan (on early v6s). It had a relay attached near/on it, but as I recall everything was actually inside the trunk, not in the fender well. Might have been some aftermarket item. The rear light and cruise control wiring does run along that side and then across the back of the car. Maybe someone was trying to make their own version of sequential flashers!

[This message has been edited by 2farnorth (edited 12-24-2006).]

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2006 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by romeo:
does anyone know if the turn signal wires that go to the rear brake and signal lights have a relay before goin to the light bulbs?cause my rear right signal and brake lights dont work but the rear lights for drivin come on when i turn my headlights on like they are supposed to.

Theres no relay before the tail lamp harness back in that area--there is a ground attached to the frame with a 10mm bolt. Check your bulbs for the other problem.. What color are these relays , about how big in size are they, do they look like the fuel pump and a/c relays?
romeo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2006 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for romeoSend a Private Message to romeoDirect Link to This Post
the bulbs all are good. and yes, they look like the fuel pump relays. i assume one is the cooling fan for the motor, dont kow what the other one is.

there is a wire that comes out of the wiring harnes cluster. its black and jus hanging there. it looks like a ground but whenever i attach it to the frame of the vehicle the fuse for the fan blows out.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post12-26-2006 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
The fuel pump relay is mounted on a bracket with one or two other relays, the bracket is on the forward firewall in front of the air cleaner housing, just below the glass, about where the driver's neck is on the inside.

There are no relays in any of the wheel wells, too much water and dirt to make that a desirable place to mount components of the electrical system.

James
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2006 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Ok, just looked at my 86 GT. The wheel well liner has been removed so I had a fairly good look. I did not see any relays. What I did see was the wiring harness running along the frame with wires branching off to: a ground, the side marker light, the rear blower motor (through a rubber grommet), the right rear lights, and then into a bigger loom heading towards the center of the car.

Do you know if the previous owner had something added back there like the sequential tail lights mentioned above?
romeo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2006 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for romeoSend a Private Message to romeoDirect Link to This Post
no, i dont think any of that was done back there. i definately think one is the blower motor relay. im not quite sure what he other one would be for tho. there is a lime green wire hangin loose there too. im wondering if that has anything to do with my right signal light and right brake light not working . im not sure as to where that lime green wire should be going. any ideas?
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post12-27-2006 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
It sounds like someone has hacked the wiring.

Pictures of the relays and wiring would be helpful since we're dealing with non-stock wiring here.

James
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2006 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Yes, pictures would be nice.
PFF
System Bot
romeo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2006 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for romeoSend a Private Message to romeoDirect Link to This Post
here are some pics i took today. they prolly wont come out clear. but if u look at the wiring loom near the battery there is one black wire that was cut coming out of that cluster that goes nowhere. i thought it was a ground but whenever i ground it the fan fuse blows out. then there are the two relay thingys and there is a hanging lime green wire from the bottokm and two dark green wires comin from the top. any clues what t hey could be?

if u had to trace the wiring from front to back to diagnose a brake light and signal light malfunction where would u start? where do they originate ?

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

thanx in advance guys

[This message has been edited by romeo (edited 12-30-2006).]

2farnorth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
You're going to need a C500 pinout guide (that's the large connector by the battery) to trace the wiring to the lights and to figure out what that black wire does. Thought I had one but couldn't find the link. Those two relays pictured are not stock. I can't for the life of me figure why someone would put something like that in the harsh environment of a wheel well. The cooling fan mounted in the trunk has it's own relay mounted right next to it in the trunk. The only thing I can figure is that someone tried a homemade sequential turn signal. You'd probably be better off just reconnecting everything back to "stock" and eliminating those relays.

I'll keep looking for a link to the C500 pinout. By the way, what is the year and model of the Fiero? There are some minor differences between some models
Dave
try this link: http://www.nicx.com/fierohlp/Page8A-202-3Fiero86_Service_Man-C500.pdf

I can't see the black wire in the pics. Is it coming out of the C500 connector or just in the wiring bundle coming to it?

[This message has been edited by 2farnorth (edited 12-31-2006).]

romeo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for romeoSend a Private Message to romeoDirect Link to This Post
it is coming out of the connector bundle towards the back of the car. its in the pic but its out of focus and u cant tell what it is. its an 85 fiero gt 4 speed.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Am I seeing your pictures right in that the C500 terminal has wires coming out the bottom?
DMaxME

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DMaxMESend a Private Message to DMaxMEDirect Link to This Post
Does your car have a third brake light? If not maybe the previous owner used a realy to rectify the turnsignals into a third brakelight using a pair of relays (it's shitty bout it would work). was there an aftermarket spoiler on it? possibly with a brake light?
romeo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for romeoSend a Private Message to romeoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

Am I seeing your pictures right in that the C500 terminal has wires coming out the bottom?

what do u mean....comin out the bottom? the bottom of what?
romeo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for romeoSend a Private Message to romeoDirect Link to This Post

romeo

126 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by DMaxME:

Does your car have a third brake light? If not maybe the previous owner used a realy to rectify the turnsignals into a third brakelight using a pair of relays (it's shitty bout it would work). was there an aftermarket spoiler on it? possibly with a brake light?

no third brakelight. it hadf a spoiler but it ddnt have a light on it. i dont have any lights that work on my right rear except for the lights that come on when i turn the lights on. the brake light and the turn signal for the rear doesnt work at all , but they work in the front.
romeo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for romeoSend a Private Message to romeoDirect Link to This Post

romeo

126 posts
Member since Mar 2003
ok, ive been reading some posts on this c500 thingy. i know the guy bought this car from put this car tgogether from other fieros and im gonna assume that he screwed up big time by puttin this wiring thing together incorrectly. theres a black wire that looks like a ground but whenever i ground it the fan fuse blows . so , im gonna assume the bottom half and the top half of that c500 thingy dont match. is there a way to see what those wires of the bottom half of that harness go to by getting a specfic location of that fake ground wire and then re pinning it to mtch the top half??

2farnorth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
The only black wire listed to the c500 is to post A2. That is the side that goes to the engine. It is listed as "battery (ground)".
Check the other wire colors as they are shown in the link. Just remember this link is for an 86, I assume it's for a V6 since it shows a wire for the trunk fan. There could be some minor differences. I read a couple of old posts when looking for the link and it was noted that sometimes 2 connections for rear lights had to be repinned when swapping from a 4 cyl to a V6 and 2 others for neutral safety switch when swapping from auto trans to manual trans. Since yours was put together from other cars we don't know what you have.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post

what do u mean....comin out the bottom? the bottom of what?

Out the bottom of the C500 terminal block. I'm probably just looking at it wrong. I moved my C500 block when I put an oil cooler there and do not remember looking at the bottom to see how the wires were routed. The C500 sits flush on the bottom so the wires sticking straight out means tampering there. However, I am not sure if they are supposed to be there and were just pulled straight out instead of laid flat like normal.

Unfortunately, I suspect he will have to do some serious continuity testing to sort it out.

[This message has been edited by Hudini (edited 12-31-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
romeo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for romeoSend a Private Message to romeoDirect Link to This Post
yah, there are wires stuck together goin into the rear wheelwell from teh top with those crush wire connector thingys. i dunno why he put them down there but it jus adds to the mahem of figuring this out. i saw the wiring schematic for the 500. do u think its the same for my 85gt?
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Quick check would be to print out that C500 diagram and check the color codes on the wires on yours. Also, if you have a multi-meter, turn on the parking lights and check for power at the proper connector like F7.
2farnorth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post

i saw the wiring schematic for the 500. do u think its the same for my 85gt?

It should be very close.
romeo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2007 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for romeoSend a Private Message to romeoDirect Link to This Post
ok, heres the deal...i got almost everything to work. those relays are jus there for decoration...lol. i gues he jus used them to extend the wires from one spot to another. i took the relays off them totally and they still work. i dont get it . anyway, after studying the c500 diagram thingy i was able to find a constant power to one of the bulbs and experiment. i used a shovel to apply pressure to the brakes and used the orange wire that gave power to the left side lights . after looking at the wires runnin thru the relays i came to the conclusion that there was a break in the wires and connected them directly . now i have brake lights on both sides. the right still doesnt have both bulbs working when im on the brakes but at least one of them comes on now and i have a right signal. thats one project down , 2 to go. i jus wanna say thanx again to everyone who heped point me in teh right direction...u guys are the best
2farnorth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2007 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
Glad it's working out. Good luck with the rest of the projects.

Dave

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock