my 2.5-2.8 conversion - More Pics and a question by Eclipse
Started on: 10-19-2006 10:11 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Eclipse on 03-09-2007 08:43 PM
Eclipse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
As some of you know I have yanked the 2.5 out of my car and am part way through installing a 2.8, mated with the 5 speed isuzu. I used a wire harness from an 86 automatic and did some re-wiring to make it all work.

Previous thread:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/060794.html

Here's some more pics...
First, the bench...

The engine's in (dropped in through the top)...

The workspace...

Working out the wires...

The new guages waiting to go in...

The ported exhaust and Y-pipe go on next...

Now for the question... close to the starter, there is a connector haning down which looks a lot like the one used for the IAC. The one I have is partially melted and has 2 pink wires. What is it? It's in teh middle of the next pic.

------------------
Jay Brintnell
Southern Ontario Fiero Association
Yellow 85 Notchback(A.K.A. GodFearN)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
From what I can see, it looks like the plug for the automatic trans lock-up torque converter. Since you are using the manual 5-speed, you won't have a need for it, if that's what it is.
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2006 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
Yup! Thanks!

------------------
Jay Brintnell

p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2006 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post
Do you do a lot of highway driving? If not, Ditch the izuzu and run a 4 spd. Trust me I swapped to an izuzu and hate it. It kills the 2.hate powerband.
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2006 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
I ran the isuzu with the 2.5 and kind of liked it, but haven't driven a 4 speed. This is my daily driver and I need it on the road quickly. I have a power pulley and ported exhaust on it, so it should make a little fun at least. Perhaps if the isuzu ever goes south, I will swap it out, but for now, I will use what I have:} The whole time and money thing come into play here.

------------------
Jay Brintnell

Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2006 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
New fuel pump is in, exhaust manifolds are in, Crossover pipe and heatshields are in, Coolant lines are in. New throttle cable is partially in.

On Sunday, I'll work on the exhaust, the intake, and the front battery tray. Pics to come.

Thanks PBJ for dropping by to eyeball things for me. I appreciate your professional input!

------------------
Jay Brintnell

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited 10-29-2006).]

Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2006 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
Ok, so I am behind schedule. I ran into a few bumps, but here's an update.

The battery is now up front...Thanks to Under8ed for the box. Good fit!

I used 1/0 welding wire run to a custom made junction box in the back. I used the stock power cables on the engine and ran them to the box. I grounded the battery to the frame at the brake booster mount up front, and grounded the engine and the transmission.

One more before and after pic...

Throttle cable is now in, wiring is done, manifolds are in, vacuum lines are run. I am just waiting on a couple of coolant lines from the Fiero Store. Now I can change out the tach, mount the exhaust system and buy a belt for the power pulley.

------------------
Jay Brintnell

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited 10-13-2008).]

Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2007 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
So I'm long over due for an update. It's been too bloody cold in my garage and I've been busy at work, but a trip to the Toronto car show has re-inspired me.

A few weeks ago, I finally got the car started, after some trial and error with timing and electrical work.

Once I finally got the car started, it was making a heck of a racket, at which point I found the following thread. It seems that some of the V6 pressure plates are slightly too tall for the inside of the Isuzu bell housing and will contact inside, easily resolved with a little grinding. I had to wait a few weeks to borrow a shop crane, but now that I have it (Thanks DPWood) I will be lifting the V6 out this weekend to remedy the situation. It's already unbolted and ready to lift. I will grab pics of what I find once the engine is out.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...020825-2-018893.html

I have to get her on the road this week.

------------------
Jay Brintnell

The progress thread: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/077740.html

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay