Started on: 08-13-2006 09:50 PM
Replies: 27
Last post by: Knight on 01-13-2007 06:52 PM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2006 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I have sworn by MSD quality for years, yet the past few months have me a bit concerned. My MSD 6al box died, and now Lisa's MSD Blaster II Coil just failed in her Fiero.

I know Accell had major problems about 8 years ago so I have stayed away from them.

This is the 2nd Blaster II coil that I have personally seen fail in the last 4 years. I know they are not a lifetime use part, but just weird to see them start dropping dead like this.

Anyone else have any input on ignition output issues.

MSD or other brands?
------------------
85GT 5spd ,93 Eldorado 4.9 Dual O2 Custom Chip, Archie Clutch. Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything 245/50/16's Not Your Average 4.9 Capt Fiero Com --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Stock.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 08-17-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Whuffo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2006 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoDirect Link to This Post
If you're using the stock ignition system (ignition module) then there's no better coil for your car than the AC Delco replacment. Other aftermarket coils may not work as well or may shorten the life of your ignition module.

Be extra wary of coils that promise increased output - a coil is essentially a transformer, and the only way to get more output is to increase the amount of power input. That puts an additional load on the ignition module and they really don't have any extra "headroom" to do this safely.

If you're running an aftermarket ignition system then use their recommended coil; with the factory system, use the GM coil. You'll be glad you did...
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2006 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
I had one MSD coil fail after 6 month but the warranty was honored fast, real fast, customer service was good also. Never had any other difficulties except for that hot spark, going through rotors on a yearly basis.

editted in brand name MSD

[This message has been edited by jetman (edited 08-14-2006).]

Firefighter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2006 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefighterSend a Private Message to FirefighterDirect Link to This Post
I also had a 6A box fail, money wasted! I also had an MSD Blaster Coil installed and removed it because I though it too would fail at the wrong time. The wrong time is anytime. I think MSD quality is in the dumpster for the time being. Ed

------------------

Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2006 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
If you till have that bad MSD coil, try it again. It could be your connectors need replacing, By changing to a dif coil you had unplug and replug them back in again. Doing such can often wipe some of the corrosin off (you cant see its on the inside) and thus the replacment coil works and you condem the other one. Wont cost you anything but a few minutes to put the MSD coil back in and see if works. I have a full MSD setup and havent had any problems. I also have two good coils that were supposed to bad, but were not. These cars are old and old connectors corrod.
BrewCheese

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2006 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
Ive had my coil now for almost 6 years with no problems at all. Actually been very happy with it, of course now it will probobly fail....

Jason
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2006 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
I drove my original Fiero for over twelve years everyday. The coils typically only last about four years. I know this. My very first car modifications was an updated Accel coil. I locate mine inside the rear trunk to avoid the heat. The heat is what kills the coils.

I currently have a MSD 6A and a Accel coil with no problems. Proven to be very reliable, but again I have it mounted inside the trunk. And again, the heat is what gets to them.

------------------
87 Fiero GT (3.2 Turbo)
E-mail: david88@peoplepc.com
www.angelfire.com/pa5/davidfiero/

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2006 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
Francis T
What kind of control module do you have. I have the MSD Blaster coil and I may be imagining it but my car seems to run so much better with it over stock, but I heard that the Blaster coil can be kind of hard on the stock control module.
Mike
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2006 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

I drove my original Fiero for over twelve years everyday. The coils typically only last about four years. I know this. My very first car modifications was an updated Accel coil. I locate mine inside the rear trunk to avoid the heat. The heat is what kills the coils.

I currently have a MSD 6A and a Accel coil with no problems. Proven to be very reliable, but again I have it mounted inside the trunk. And again, the heat is what gets to them.

Totally true. When my original AC delco failed after about 3-4 years (bought my car new in 88) I changed to an Accel mounted in the trunk firewall. Never again had any coil failure. Same with my MSD unit in my yellow car.

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2006 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
My MSD 6A box failed too. It was an absolutely huge pain in the patoot. However, the Blaster coil seems to be perking along fine, however, I keep a spare of a Wagner brand in the car.

Arn
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2006 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
I have the MSD 6A and I have added that self-stick heat shielding to one side of it and also put the stuff on the metal heat sheild for the coil. It's like $9 form Summit or Jegs and one sheet will give you enough to also wrap the hot side of your starter motor. It also works good wraped around items like shifter and clutch cables. Looks very much like the stock stuff if you do it right.
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2006 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I have the blaster coil on my 84 (modified the wiring) and it's been working great for a year now.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

achbaby

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2006 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for achbabySend a Private Message to achbabyDirect Link to This Post
Hey do any of u guys know what is causing my ignition module to keep failing. I went with an AC Delco new replacement and the car still shuts off. Exchanged it for a new one and it still does it. What it does is the car will run fine untill i get to about 25 min of driving and it just cuts out. I leave it sit for half hour to an hour and it will start back up and run untill i drive a bit more and it gets hot. I used enough of the white heat sink stuff underenath and the module is good and tight. The coil to module wire; the ones that plug into the module have been replaced. I have tried all kinds of modules with the same results. I do use an Aceel coil from the fiero store. Do u think it could be doing it?? Strange thing though it never did it before with the Accel coil until now. I am puzzled. I was thinking of splicing in wires and somehow mounting the ignition module elsewhere. I thought maybe it was getting to hot where it was. Any help?? thx jay

[This message has been edited by achbaby (edited 08-16-2006).]

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2006 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Are you using the MSD box?

Arn
achbaby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2006 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for achbabySend a Private Message to achbabyDirect Link to This Post
No i just have the stock ignition with the accel coil.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2006 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I used aftermarket ign modules on 2 of my cars with Accel coils. Never had a coil quit. One had 100,000 miles. I also had an Accel coil on one Corvette with HEI that never failed....Id say its just luck of the draw whether its stock, Accell, or MSD.
achbaby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2006 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for achbabySend a Private Message to achbabyDirect Link to This Post
I have tried everything. I have no clue what is causing the module to shut off. As soon as it cools; then it will start up again.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2006 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by achbaby:

I have tried everything. I have no clue what is causing the module to shut off. As soon as it cools; then it will start up again.

Replace your pickup coil. It is the round thing under the rotor. I will almost bet money that will solve your problem.
achbaby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2006 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for achbabySend a Private Message to achbabyDirect Link to This Post
I had replaced the the distributor with a brand new one just a month before this started. Do u think it could have went bad that quick...that is the pickup coil

[This message has been edited by achbaby (edited 08-16-2006).]

Tina

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2006 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TinaSend a Private Message to TinaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

I have sworn my MSD quality for years, yet the past few months have me a bit concerned. My MSD 6al box died, and now Lisa's MSD Blaster II Coil just failed in her Fiero.

MSD or other brands?

Same here.
Last year I suspected my 6AL to be the culprit of some problems. Replaced it. Ended up to be something else.
This year it did go. Along with the MSD coil.
Actually, I should reword this. Other way around. The coil aided in the the 6AL's demise.
Can't find the scummit catalog right about now, ... could be the same kind of coil.

Trust in MSD is a little shaken at the moment.
Tina
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2006 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Whuffo:
Be extra wary of coils that promise increased output - a coil is essentially a transformer, and the only way to get more output is to increase the amount of power input. That puts an additional load on the ignition module and they really don't have any extra "headroom" to do this safely.

...not true, the voltage increase is due to more windings on a coils' secondary - ie: a step up transformer (to get less voltage you reduce the number of windings - a step down transformer). Input voltage remains the same.

There are other ways of increasing voltage as well using solid state devices, but the using a coil is the most realiable method.
PFF
System Bot
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2007 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightDirect Link to This Post
I am torn between a new Accel coil or an MSD coil for my 2.8L. I plan on upgrading to a modified a 3.4L with NOS verses forced induction possible in the future so I want a hotter coil. Does any body have any idea which is better as both have differeces between turns (coil winding?) ratio and primary and secondary resistace. Both have 48,000 output.
___________________Accel____vs-____MSD____-vs-____stock
Peak current___________?____________220 mA__________?
Spark durations_________?____________250 uS__________?
Primary resistance____0.300 ohms_____0.450 ohms_______?
Secondary resistance__8.,000 ohms____5,500 ohms_______?
Turns ratio___________134 :1_________ 85 : 1____________?

Also, which would work more reliably with the standard ignition module. Either my coil, IM, plug/s, ignition wire/s, or pick-up coil is/are bad. I am replacing the plugs with eithe Ac plugs, Accel u-groove or NGK v-notch. I previously bought rapid fires for my last Fiero but never installed them. I have read than most here say use non-platinum plugs. I will also replace the wires with Taylor Thunderbolts (low resistance). Now all I need to di is pick a coil. If these don't fix my missing problem, then next is ignition module w/ heatsink compound. Last is a new distributor for an upgrade pick-up coil. New distributor is easier to replace PU coil in the future.

Please help.

[This message has been edited by Knight (edited 01-11-2007).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2007 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Knight:

I am torn between a new Accel coil or an MSD coil for my 2.8L. I plan on upgrading to a modified a 3.4L with NOS verses forced induction possible in the future so I want a hotter coil. Does any body have any idea which is better as both have differeces between turns (coil winding?) ratio and primary and secondary resistace. Both have 48,000 output.
___________________Accel____vs-____MSD____-vs-____stock
Peak current___________?____________220 mA__________?
Spark durations_________?____________250 uS__________?
Primary resistance____0.300 ohms_____0.450 ohms_______?
Secondary resistance__8.,000 ohms____5,500 ohms_______?
Turns ratio___________134 :1_________ 85 : 1____________?

Also, which would work more reliably with the standard ignition module. Either my coil, IM, plug/s, ignition wire/s, or pick-up coil is/are bad. I am replacing the plugs with eithe Ac plugs, Accel u-groove or NGK v-notch. I previously bought rapid fires for my last Fiero but never installed them. I have read than most here say use non-platinum plugs. I will also replace the wires with Taylor Thunderbolts (low resistance). Now all I need to di is pick a coil. If these don't fix my missing problem, then next is ignition module w/ heatsink compound. Last is a new distributor for an upgrade pick-up coil. New distributor is easier to replace PU coil in the future.

Please help.

You don't need a hotter coil if you use the new iridium plugs. They need less energy to fire and will run that turbo just fine.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2007 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Dont be too quick to damn the coil, could just be a connector problem; see what i pasted below:

Try this:
Watch the tach when cranking if it don’t move you're not getting pulses from the distributor. If so, it could be a faulty module in it or more likely simply corroded connectors at the base of the distributor. Reseating those connectors a few times could clean the pins some and also do the same to the connectors on the coil etc. These cars are old, and old connectors corrode. Such can also manifest itself as intermittent misfires, and engine cutouts.
BTW: lots of folks keep replacing modules and coils thinking they are bad because the new ones FIXED the problem, when in actuality the fact that they simply unpluged the connectors and repluged them into the new unit cleaned the contacts enough to make it work again, at least for a while. It's smart, to replace them with new ones. Cliphouse.com has them.
BTW: Cliphouse has those connectors
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2007 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
to start with - heat kills both the box & the coil.
MSD is good quality stuff. it works. it stays working.
and, the MSD coil is the BEST replacement coil - not the stock AC Delco coil.
the only time you need the MSD box is if you are boosted, running nitrous or high compression.
if you got a plain old N/A 9:1 compression pushrod motor - the box is just money spent. ZERO gains.
multiple sparks at low rpm - yippie - if your fual/air mix doesnt burst on the first one - you got more probelsm than a ignitin box will fix.
the capacitve discharge is nice for the upper R's - but - these motors dont make power there anyways

now, the rev limiter is a good thing. but, I dont find it to be worth the $$$
gixxer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2007 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gixxerSend a Private Message to gixxerDirect Link to This Post
Had a MSD coil die. Believe it was heat from the turbo. Replaced it and installed a heat shield. No further problems. No problems with the 6AL box installed in the trunk.
On another car (non-Fiero), I installed the MSD DIS-2 PLUS box--#62112.
It worked perfectly, then quit after about 2 months. Replaced with another, worked perfect, then died after 1 week. No more DIS-2 on this car...!
Also have installed the (2) high output coils for the Direct Ignition (non-Fiero), and have had no problem.
88wht-t-top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2007 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88wht-t-topSend a Private Message to 88wht-t-topDirect Link to This Post
FrancisT,

I checked the site for cliphouse, what is the part # for the connecters for the coil? Mine are brittle with age and heat.
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2007 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightDirect Link to This Post
I thought that the advice was to use only stock type plugs (AC Delco, ect.) due to the ignition system not working as well with platinum plugs. I even have Rapidfires in a box unused and awaiting an exchange for non platinum standard plugs.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock