ohio86se 3800sc swap by ohio86se
Started on: 03-12-2006 05:31 PM
Replies: 118
Last post by: black88fiero on 04-12-2007 09:30 PM
SKIDMARK

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2006 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SKIDMARKSend a Private Message to SKIDMARKDirect Link to This Post
Cool! I know you've been working toward this for a long time. Can't wait to see your car....In my rearview. (Just kidding). I haven't made the progress I wanted on my 3.4 DOHC but it's coming together slow but sure. I'll be posting some pic's soon.
Glad to see you're getting there.

------------------

[This message has been edited by SKIDMARK (edited 03-25-2006).]

IP: Logged
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2006 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SKIDMARK:

Cool! I know you've been working toward this for a long time. Can't wait to see your car....In my rearview. (Just kidding). I haven't made the progress I wanted on my 3.4 DOHC but it's coming together slow but sure. I'll be posting some pic's soon.
Glad to see you're getting there.

I do have the Entrax lowering springs but Im waiting for the new strut mounts.

------------------

" DRIVE IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT"

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2006 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

ohio86se

1308 posts
Member since Mar 2002
Here is the beginings of the Fiero intake box Im modifying to accept the 4" sc intake hose.

Ill also be modifying the bottom slightly. And removing the water trap near in the fender well.

------------------

85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2006 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTDirect Link to This Post
did you make the alternator bracket or buy it from someone?
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2006 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85sliverGT:

did you make the alternator bracket or buy it from someone?

I actually fabricated that bracket myself. I will be posting dimensions as soon as I finish a drawing of it. When used in conjunction with the machined down dog bone bracket the accessory pulleys aligns perfectually. Im a graphics technical designer buy profession so Ill be putting together a fairly detail drawing soon.
I utilize the GTP alternator and it clears the trunk wall with plenty to spare..

I promise Ill be posting details later.

------------------

Mike OHIO

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2006 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike OHIOSend a Private Message to Mike OHIODirect Link to This Post
can i take a ride when shes done?

mike
87gt

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2006 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

I promise Ill be posting details later.

that better be sooner than later.

I have yet to start making mine, not really looking forward to it. I really want to do it in place of the AC, so I dont have to end up getting an ac pulley.

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2006 06:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
That engine looks like a million bucks!

I want a 3800SC!!!

Very nice job man!

TG oreiF 8891

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2006 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TG oreiF 8891Send a Private Message to TG oreiF 8891Direct Link to This Post
I'd like to put a northstar in mine someday, but the 3800SC is a lot easier. Also, now we have the two of you with completed cars, I can ask yall questions...hehh eh eh

------------------
1988 Fiero GT
Cleveland Fiero Club

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2006 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking engine, ohio. Great work!

-ryan

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2006 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
Well today I installed the needed rear wheel hub assemblies. Nothing to see here ...pretty much standard.

I made some progress on the Fiero air box mod to accept the 4" hose

here is a top view showing a standard Fiero air filter. I think Ill be using a K&N though

I dont make very pretty welds but the are solid and holding. Ill I have is a flux core Lincoln welder without gas shielding. It make a little tough to weld this thin stuff
Ill be opening up the bottom of the box as well.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 03-26-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
TG oreiF 8891

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2006 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TG oreiF 8891Send a Private Message to TG oreiF 8891Direct Link to This Post
You need to grind that weld nice and smooth so it looks better. You don't want Rick's to look better than yours, do you?
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2006 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
The long support arm on the alternator is bolted to an existing hole in the front of the block just above the oil sending unit. It has a spacer ( ill give length ) later to bring the alternator out square. The stud I used at this location is a step down stud because the thread size in the block is only 1/4 and i would like 3/8 for the alternator bracket.

I will also documat the belt p/n and/or the length later.
Here are some sketches of the alternator bracket Im made for the swap

some installed pics

more to come later

------------------

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 03-30-2006).]

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2006 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
bump
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2006 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
See my alternator does not have that long of an arm on it. Dang. Is that "hex stock" you have hollow when you get it and you open it up, or are you drilling clear through it?
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2006 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

See my alternator does not have that long of an arm on it. Dang. Is that "hex stock" you have hollow when you get it and you open it up, or are you drilling clear through it?

It had a threaded hole through it that I would use as a pilot hole to drill a larger hole to fit the larger bolt

------------------

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 03-31-2006).]

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2006 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
bump

Well not a alot to take pictures of today but I have progress to report.

installed new axles
installed new axle bearings
new ball joints
installed the entrax lowering springs and struts onto the car
filled the tranny with pennzoil syncromesh

the speedo checked fine.

more to come

------------------

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 04-02-2006).]

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2006 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
well just a little progress.
I started fabricating the exhaust. I started by removing the unwanted pipe off of the GTP down pipe flange

Then I cut down a 90 and a 180 exhaust pipe bends from summit racing
Im not an expert welder but they will hold. I water tested the pipe for leaks.

Ill do the pipes to the exhaust tips tomorrow. I did pipe this portion of the exhaust on the car and gave a sound test. I really like the way in sounds so far. Im using the spintec muffler from Westcoast Fieros.
Im not real happy with how much the muffler hangs down but its hard to tell neing that the car is still up in the air. I didnt want to cut any more out of the 180 bend because the bends starts to get real tight.

------------------

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2006 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

ohio86se

1308 posts
Member since Mar 2002
Well I did get th entrax spring installed on the rear. This really isnt related to the swap but if you are going to lower your Fiero it seems like a good time to do it. They the 1.8 rear and 1.7 lowering springs.

Now my hope is I find a good alignment guy to do the alignment.

------------------

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
ohio86se, Your doing one really nice job there--what else can I say ....
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3800superfast:

ohio86se, Your doing one really nice job there--what else can I say ....

Thanks....Im a little slow and I take days off and sometimes get stuck in front of the TV watching the CAVS now the Indians. I do alot of planning in my head. I find that if I make a list of things I want to complete and set a date I get it done.

My immeditae goal is to drive it to our next club meeting but if that doesnt happen for sure it will be ready for the Barn club outing the first weekend it May. Ill need to get it aligned before I take it very far.

Any advise on the alignment would be helpful

------------------

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 04-07-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I have a question on those fuel fittings. How much metal 'straight' do you need to attach the fittings safely?
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

I have a question on those fuel fittings. How much metal 'straight' do you need to attach the fittings safely?

I made assure that the fuel line would bottom out into the seat of the male fitting.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 04-07-2006).]

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2006 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I sent you a PM asking you some questions.
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2006 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
Today I completed my exahaust system. Im using the spintec muffler from WCF with 2 1/2" pipes and hedman resonator tips. I have just the sound effect I was looking for. At idle you can still here the SC winning and when I give it the gas you can still hear it.

Ill be putting together a sound clip later.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 04-08-2006).]

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2006 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

ohio86se

1308 posts
Member since Mar 2002
here is a sound clip of my engine. Its not a very good recording because all I have to record with is my pocket pc. Its abou 33deg here now in akron and the winning gets stronger as the engine warms up

enjoy!!!!!!!

http://media.putfile.com/3800sc-sound-clip

------------------

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2006 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
Well I completed the CAI and the modification of the Fiero housing to accept the 4" intake hose. Im using the K&N filter.
I cut the small pipe that existed for the 2.8 and replaced them with 4" exhaust pipe. Im using 4" intake hose I purchased from ZZ performance.

More to come

------------------

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2006 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
bump

10:20am 4-22-06 its touch down time
I took itv for a spin and boy all you guys were right this thing is a blast. I still need to do a few touch up things and get the the front lowering springs on and get an alignment but i could noe resist taking it foe a spin. It runs flawlessly. thnaks to all who helped.Ill be listing credits later.

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2006 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

ohio86se

1308 posts
Member since Mar 2002
bump

10:20am 4-22-06 its touch down time
I took it for a spin and boy all you guys were right this thing is a blast. I still need to do a few touch up things and get the the front lowering springs on and get an alignment but i could not resist taking it for a spin. It runs flawlessly. thnaks to all who helped.Ill be listing credits later. For sure Darthfiero.

Ill get a new video as soon as i get my daughters DV camera.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 04-22-2006).]

SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2006 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post
Glad to see it out and running. I told you once you drove it how it would be hard to pry the smile off your face. Wait it only gets better trust me. SC
3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2006 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
Great job, Rick! I have one question. When you lower your car, will you scrape the driveway? I remember your driveway being steep!
PFF
System Bot
SKIDMARK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2006 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SKIDMARKSend a Private Message to SKIDMARKDirect Link to This Post
When you do the front springs, don't forget to shorten the bump stops by about 3/4".
Good to see you making a lot of progress. I still don't have time for my DOHC but I've been working on the black SE suspension. Hope that muffler doesn't hang down too far or you'll be scraping.

Did you remove the sway bar?
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2006 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SKIDMARK:

When you do the front springs, don't forget to shorten the bump stops by about 3/4".
Good to see you making a lot of progress. I still don't have time for my DOHC but I've been working on the black SE suspension. Hope that muffler doesn't hang down too far or you'll be scraping.

Did you remove the sway bar?

Were the front springs easy to do for you? Ive gotten a new rear sway bar from the Fiero store that I havent put on yet. I was waiting unit I got it on the ground so I can get it postioned correctly.The muffler does hang down a little but it is up as far as i could get it ....we will see. It probably hangs down about 1.25" lower than the rear of the cradle.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 04-23-2006).]

Mr.Chipps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2006 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.ChippsSend a Private Message to Mr.ChippsDirect Link to This Post
Really super conversion.

What was doner car and year?

Do you have any photos of the super charger before, and what you did to make it such a clean presentation.

Could you post the link to the Ohio Club?

Thanks, a new Fiero owner.

Hager
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2006 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr.Chipps:

Really super conversion.

What was doner car and year?

Do you have any photos of the super charger before, and what you did to make it such a clean presentation.

Could you post the link to the Ohio Club?

Thanks, a new Fiero owner.

The donor is a 86 se v6 with a 4 speed.
Here is a link to the ohio club I belong to www.clevelandfieros.com

here are some pics of the 3800sc before the swap began

Hager

------------------

tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2006 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
Been watching this thread since I saw it. Superb job! beautiful work on the engine finishing and detailing. the pics are excellent documentation to all the work you did.

The front springs should not be a big problem for you. there are a few threads on how to do them. they are not as bad as some make them out to be. Will you be doing poly bushings? or are the rubbers in good shape?

again, beautifully done! congrats, and many miles of fun with it!
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2006 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tjm4fun:

Been watching this thread since I saw it. Superb job! beautiful work on the engine finishing and detailing. the pics are excellent documentation to all the work you did.

The front springs should not be a big problem for you. there are a few threads on how to do them. they are not as bad as some make them out to be. Will you be doing poly bushings? or are the rubbers in good shape?

again, beautifully done! congrats, and many miles of fun with it!

Ill be leaving rubber for now because they are in really good shape. I went poly on the cradle and the fronta and rear stabilizing
links.
Today I removed the old front springs and put new outer ties ends and dust boots. Ill be putting the Intrax springs in after the paint drys.I will be replacing the steering rack but just yet.

Thanks for the positive comments.

------------------

Spiff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2006 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpiffClick Here to visit Spiff's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpiffDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ohio86se:

The long support arm on the alternator is bolted to an existing hole in the front of the block just above the oil sending unit. It has a spacer ( ill give length ) later to bring the alternator out square. The stud I used at this location is a step down stud because the thread size in the block is only 1/4 and i would like 3/8 for the alternator bracket.

I will also documat the belt p/n and/or the length later.
Here are some sketches of the alternator bracket Im made for the swap

some installed pics

more to come later

Cool Alt bracket you made. I am gonna make one also useing your drawings. Do you have the length of the spacer you used and the belt length and Prt Number?
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2006 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spiff:

Cool Alt bracket you made. I am gonna make one also useing your drawings. Do you have the length of the spacer you used and the belt length and Prt Number?

Are you reffering to the spacer at the bottom leg of the alternator? Ill post the length of the spacer and the belt length tommorow.

------------------

SKIDMARK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2006 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SKIDMARKSend a Private Message to SKIDMARKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ohio86se:

Were the front springs easy to do for you? Ive gotten a new rear sway bar from the Fiero store that I havent put on yet. I was waiting unit I got it on the ground so I can get it postioned correctly.The muffler does hang down a little but it is up as far as i could get it ....we will see. It probably hangs down about 1.25" lower than the rear of the cradle.

The springs themselves were easy...just take the front wheels off, support the lower control arm with a jack, remove the shock bolt and stabilizer link, pop the tie rod and lower ball joint, and the old spring should come out with a little effor when you release the jack. The new one goes in very easy because it's shorter. You have to modify your bump stops while the springs are out.....shorten them about 3/4". Most people just cut the rubber stops but I still had problems once in a while with it bottoming out so I shortened the cone shaped metal piece that the rubber mounts to. Check WCF web site for details.

Don

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock