Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Winter Tires, what makes then Winter Tires.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Winter Tires, what makes then Winter Tires. by Capt Fiero
Started on: 12-08-2006 05:02 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: jerry455 on 12-08-2006 02:42 PM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 05:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

What makes a winter tire a winter tire.

I know they have different tread patterns but what is different about the compounds. Is it a harder or softer compound?

Anyone know any real info about winter tires.

I normally run 245/50/16's on the rear and 225/50/16's on the front of my 85GT 4.9 5spd car.

I installed a set of Firestone Winter Fire 195/70/14's on the car and am amazed at the traction these snow tires have. I know part of it is simply going to a narrower tire that digs into the snow but dang. Even in the areas that the snow is melted off and the roads are just wet, these have better traction in the wet than my normal street tires. What is different about snow tires that make them better poor condition traction tires. The other thing I noticed is that these tires actually squeal when you take off hard even in the wet. My other tires never made any real noticeable noise when you did a burnout. Not that I am trying to kill my snow tires, I just got a little over excited taking off from a few lights and the tires spun.

A link to these tires are here, http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=WinterFire I can't say enough good stuff about them. They have been great on my car in snow, ice, rain and even on the highway at 70mph for short trips.

------------------
85GT 5spd ,93 Eldorado 4.9 Dual O2 Custom Chip, Archie Clutch. Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything 245/50/16's Not Your Average 4.9 Capt Fiero Com --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Stock.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Its not the compound as much as its an aggressive, deep tread pattern. While softer tires may grip better, the tread is also easier to distort. Ive seen winter tires in both soft and hard compounds.
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
The funny part. typical snow tires with the really big lugtype tread pattern stink in winter compared to modern snow tires.

Newer snow tires have a shallow tread pattern with a huge amount of little slits all over the tire. I have had a set now for 2 years on my Aztek (never took em off for summer, they are a great all season tire as well) and when everyone is slipping and sliding all over the roads here on snow and ice I still have excellent traction on my 2WD vehicle. I liked the tires so much I bought them for my Geo as well. They are expensive, I spent about $500 to outfit the larger vehicle with the tires.

http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/winter/15.html

top one on the list is what I have on the Aztek. I have the lattitude Xice on the geo.... cheaper tire but works good as well. These things outperform any traditional snow tire I have ever had and they dont drive you nuts on the highway.
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Heres a boat load of links and explanations concerning snow tires , hope it helps some..
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post

3800superfast

8568 posts
Member since Apr 2004
And a link to that would probally help out some too.
http://tiretracking.com/tirelinks.php?ID=166
jerry455

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jerry455Send a Private Message to jerry455Direct Link to This Post
i have bridgestone blizzak's 185 75 r 14. this will be the third winter that i have used them. they are fantastic in the snow. the rubber compound is softer as they are not recommended to be run year round because they will wear quickly. the tread blocks also have sipes ( small lines cut in the blocks for better traction on ice) in them. i remember one of the magazines did an article comparing winter tires and regulear radials on an ice rink and were surprised at the difference. i live north of detroit mich. and drive a hundredmiles a day to the gm milford proving grounds and back to streling hts. i can't say enough about the blizzaks.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock