2.8 Turbo's? need a bigger fuel pump by blkpearl
Started on: 11-29-2006 12:25 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Hudini on 11-29-2006 07:40 PM
blkpearl

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2006 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blkpearlClick Here to visit blkpearl's HomePageSend a Private Message to blkpearlDirect Link to This Post
It looks to me from searching this topic they do not. I just want to make sure as I am going to replace my fuel pump because it is starting to go out. Or I should say the sending unit is already faailing and so I figure I might as well do both.

I just want to check everyone's thoughts on the board. It seems a stock fuel pump is adequate for what most people boost. Say up to even 12-14lbs on a built engine.

Thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2006 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
The stock pump is fine if you are not going insane power levels with huge injectors. However your pump must be in good shape. You will need a rising rate fuel pressure regulator to go in the system or some serious custom tunning done in your chip. Most people that have a questionable fuel pump doing a turbo 2.8 would choose to go with an 88 Fiero pump as it suppose to be a better pump. It is the same pump used in the Corvette. It is a drop in replacement for the earlier pumps in Fiero's.

------------------
85GT 5spd ,93 Eldorado 4.9 Dual O2 Custom Chip, Archie Clutch. Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything 245/50/16's Not Your Average 4.9 Capt Fiero Com --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Stock.

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2006 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested to learn if you have good luck with the '88 pump and a turbo. What does it flow?

Do you know what ratio you will need in a boost-referenced rising rate fuel pressure regulator or does it vary with the particular setup?

I put a 255lph pump in my 3.4L conversion with an eye to the turbo on my workbench. I also used the adjustable fuel pressure regulator that is an absolute PITA to adjust. So far, so good. At least I won't run the car lean anytime soon.
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2006 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
I run 7 - 8 lbs with 9.5 comp and mustange injectors on my very modifed 2.8 and on the dyno with a wideband we saw no need for a bigger fuel pump. You will need a chip to match what you've done though.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2006 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
You don't need a chip if you use the boost-referenced rising rate fuel pressure regulator (say that 3 times!)

It is what the aftermarket supercharger folks use to make some of their products 50 state legal, i.e. no PCM mods so even California smog board approved.

My question is what ratio one would use on a car running 7-8 psi? 2:1 or 6:1 or 12:1 or whatever. And if he uses the '88 pump, does it change the ratio needed as opposed to using a 255lph pump?
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2006 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
Use the highest compression ratio you can get away with without the threat of detonation for the boost levels you intend to run. For that you'll need programming.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2006 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
If you change the fuel injectors from stock, you will need a new chip, I agree. What I was talking about was using the stock '88 pump (the subject of the thread) , stock injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and the extra boost-referenced regulator. Will the '88 pump provide enough pressure to force the extra fuel through the stock injectors to feed his turbo setup? I know my 255lph pump will do the trick, just wondering if the '88 pump will also.

So blkpearl, what are you looking at for a turbo setup?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2006 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I ran stock injectors on my turbo 3.1, used OEM 6 cyl pump and didnt have any type of aftermarket pressure regulator. Usually ran about 4 pnds boost.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2006 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

You don't need a chip if you use the boost-referenced rising rate fuel pressure regulator (say that 3 times!)

You don't need a chip only if you want to blow your engine apart. The rising rate FP regulator only adds more fuel under boost. If you don't modify the ignition curve for 2* retard per pound of boost, at WOT and maximum boost your engine will go BOOOM!!!

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo- 0-60 5.2 seconds -Best
Engine Controls, ECM goodies, Chip
re-programming & odd electronics stuff

Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2006 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Agreed, and MSD makes such a device. You still do not need a chip though for a mildly boosted engine. I am not trying to be a smart a$$. To get a chip burned correctly (as you told me in an e-mail a long time ago) you really need the car sitting on a dyno. This adds way more cost to that chip.

And where did your web page go? You still selling turbo parts for the 3.4L?

[This message has been edited by Hudini (edited 11-29-2006).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock