manual and automatic computer the same? by onewicked svt
Started on: 11-25-2006 12:10 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: tjm4fun on 11-28-2006 04:15 AM
onewicked svt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2006 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for onewicked svtSend a Private Message to onewicked svtDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,

Going to get my 5spd swap parts soon, need to know if i need a computer while I am buying things left and right?

I got a 87 GT v6, w/automatic tranny.

Swap required a new computer from a manual car???????

Thanks a lot!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jax184

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2006 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jax184Click Here to visit Jax184's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jax184Direct Link to This Post
The ECM is the same, but the chip inside is different. You will need the chip from a 5 speed car.
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2006 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by 3800superfast (edited 11-26-2006).]

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2006 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
Computer is the same but the chip is different but it can be used on a manual transmission. I did it. You have to cut one wire from the ECM. Wire B10. This is an input for the automatic that is not used on the manual. If you do not cut it you get a check engine light after the engine has been run for a lenght of time and the engine will run slightly rough. Took me a long time to figure this one out when I did my conversion.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2006 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000
I used my automatic wiring harnesses also on my 88 V-6. I looked at the wiring harness diagrams in the Helm manual and cut and spliced as needed to make everything work. I left in the automatic steering column so I don't have that annoying lever to push to get the key out. No neutral switch so I can start it without putting the clutch in. No up shift light. My cruise works. I had to add a switch and a few wires to make that work.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post11-25-2006 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
A bit more info: When used for the manual car the programming in the chip runs the shift light, when used in the automatic the programming uses the same output from the ECM to lock the torque converter. If you use the manual chip in an automatic the torque converter will lock at odd and unpredictable times and probably never lock when cruising which is where it needs to lock the most. If you use the automatic chip in the manual car the shift light will come on at most cruising speeds, assuming there's a bulb in the socket that is. There may be some other differences with timing, plus the idle speed target is probably handled differently between the two.

James
onewicked svt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2006 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onewicked svtSend a Private Message to onewicked svtDirect Link to This Post
anyone have any wiring diagrams?

I appreciate the help guys!

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2006 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by 3800superfast (edited 11-26-2006).]

onewicked svt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2006 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onewicked svtSend a Private Message to onewicked svtDirect Link to This Post
anyone have any wiring diagrams?

I appreciate the help guys!

tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2006 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
if you can;t work out the ecm, I can probably burn you a chip, but it would be for an 88 5sp, which should not be an issue.
I just need to pick up a couple of eproms. I have the stock 88, which has no rev limiter set, and I think I can put one in if you want it. the base ecm should be the same between 87 and 88.
onewicked svt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2006 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for onewicked svtSend a Private Message to onewicked svtDirect Link to This Post
cool stuff! your out east in LI anyway so it will be a close transaction!

pete
PFF
System Bot
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2006 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
Let me know how you make out. I will need some time to put it together and test one. worst case is driving around with the auto ecm and living with a possible check engine light!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock