4.9 chip reprogrammed by Luperman
Started on: 11-14-2006 08:40 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: motoracer838 on 11-18-2006 08:04 PM
Luperman

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LupermanSend a Private Message to LupermanDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know who does the eprom chip reprogramming for the caddy 4.9 and how to contact them.
Also has anyone had this done and is it worth having it done performance wise.
Thanks Donald
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
XzotikGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XzotikGTClick Here to visit XzotikGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to XzotikGTDirect Link to This Post
I know who. Pm me and I will give you the info.
DanFiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroDirect Link to This Post
You can talk to Pete (PBJ on the forum). He did mine. As for performance, I didn't ask for anyhting special with mine, just to get rid of the Passkey system and the regular tweaks to run with the Fiero.

Dan

------------------

v8fiero400

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for v8fiero400Click Here to visit v8fiero400's HomePageSend a Private Message to v8fiero400Direct Link to This Post
You don't need a reprogrammed chip if you use the cadillac automatic. The anti-theft (called VATS or Pass-key) can be bypassed simply by finding the single wire that goes to the factory vats module.... cut that wire and get an after market vats module (easily found on ebay for like $20 ) ... its all just a matter of wiring the computer correctly to make it work right.... But I guess that is easier said than done!
DanFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by v8fiero400:

You don't need a reprogrammed chip if you use the cadillac automatic. The anti-theft (called VATS or Pass-key) can be bypassed simply by finding the single wire that goes to the factory vats module.... cut that wire and get an after market vats module (easily found on ebay for like $20 ) ... its all just a matter of wiring the computer correctly to make it work right.... But I guess that is easier said than done!

I know we tried 2 or 3 of those vats module bypass things and had no luck. The car would fire then shut off immediately. After getting my chip from PBJ she fired right up.

I've heard of the vats bypass working, we just didn't have any luck with it.

Dan

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2006 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DanFiero:
I know we tried 2 or 3 of those vats module bypass things and had no luck. The car would fire then shut off immediately. After getting my chip from PBJ she fired right up.

I've heard of the vats bypass working, we just didn't have any luck with it.

Dan

You have to make sure you have the 'right' VATS module for your system. For the 4.9 there are 2 possible combinations (passkey1 or passkey2).

I have been using a bypass module for 3 years with no problems - so they do work
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2006 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
We had BOTH. I keep both in the shop.

I've run into this before on SOME caddy ECMs. The modules just don't work. Ed Parks has seen it before as well.

John Stricker

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

You have to make sure you have the 'right' VATS module for your system. For the 4.9 there are 2 possible combinations (passkey1 or passkey2).

I have been using a bypass module for 3 years with no problems - so they do work

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2006 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jstricker:

We had BOTH. I keep both in the shop.

I've run into this before on SOME caddy ECMs. The modules just don't work. Ed Parks has seen it before as well.

John Stricker

...well this would still be an easy fix if you want to keep the VATS intact - all you need is the VATS module from the donar car (assuming it can be had). You then connect the correct size of resistor to the input of the VATS module to make it think the key is inserted and there you go. Any GM dealer should be able to read the original key and tell you what number it is - you then can look up the resistance valve for that number (been posted on here before as that is where I got the info for someone that wanted this method for his car). If you don't have the original key, you can do the trial and error method - there are only 15 different values.

...just a thought...
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2006 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

...well this would still be an easy fix if you want to keep the VATS intact - all you need is the VATS module from the donar car (assuming it can be had). You then connect the correct size of resistor to the input of the VATS module to make it think the key is inserted and there you go. Any GM dealer should be able to read the original key and tell you what number it is - you then can look up the resistance valve for that number (been posted on here before as that is where I got the info for someone that wanted this method for his car). If you don't have the original key, you can do the trial and error method - there are only 15 different values.

...just a thought...

Thats exactly what it took to get mine running, after the following.
1- built the module that Rockcrawl shows on hi site, didn't work.
2- tried a module that Loyde,from fast Fieros sent me, didn't work.
3- tried a pass key module out of a 90 seville, didn't have the key so I tried all of the resistance values as listed in a tpi swaping guide that I have, didn't work, latter determined that the reason that Cad was at the wrecking yard was a bad pass key module.
4- tried another passkey module that I knew the resistance value on, It started on the first try.

Iv'e had a lot of fun with my 4.9, but i'm moving on to a Northstar.

When things go wrong,
don't follow them. Joe
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2006 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by motoracer838:

Iv'e had a lot of fun with my 4.9, but i'm moving on to a Northstar.

Joe....when are you gonna start on the swap? I'm having a ball with my 4.9, but something tells me that I'm gonna want more down the road.
jeffndebrus

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2006 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Luperman:

Does anyone know who does the eprom chip reprogramming for the caddy 4.9 and how to contact them.
Also has anyone had this done and is it worth having it done performance wise.
Thanks Donald

Jon (Rockcrawl) did mine and many others. Cost ya about a Benjamin
his website: http://www.fieroaddiction.com
I can't vouch for performance because I didn't drive my wife's 4.9 prior to the chip reprogram----it went in long before we started it up. I will tell you that we have been extremely pleased with the 4.9 performance overall. Going from 140hp to 200hp is a nice improvement. Highway mpg has been 26-27------around town it drops to about 17mpg.
That's either our heavy foot or it really needs the idle learn procedure done badly as it revs up and down about ten times after it is first started when cold.

------------------
Proud Member of the North Florida Fiero club

4T60E Parks harness/ Rockcrawl chip-- more to come--

PFF
System Bot
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2006 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Frizlefrak:
Joe....when are you gonna start on the swap? I'm having a ball with my 4.9, but something tells me that I'm gonna want more down the road.

I'm in the middle of pulling the Northstar out of the Seville now, Iv'e gotta add GM wins the 10 lbs of crap in a 5lbs bag award in thier instalation of the Northstar in thier cars. Iv'e never had to deal with soo many bolts in places that I can't get my big hands into in one car, what a PITA!!! The 4.9 is already out of the car.

Joe

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock