A better belt for your AC compressor by pswayne
Started on: 11-14-2006 10:58 AM
Replies: 0
Last post by: pswayne on 11-14-2006 10:58 AM
pswayne

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pswayneSend a Private Message to pswayneDirect Link to This Post
I use a Dayco belts in my car, because they're good belts. The size of belt recommended for the AC compressor (V6 car) is Dayco Topcog no. 15370. This means that the belt is 15/32" wide, and 37.0" long. But at the Oct. Georgia Fiero Club meeting, Don was talking about a belt he found that worked better, because it was wider and rode higher in the V of the pulleys. So when I changed belts recently, I got a Dayco no. 17380 for my compressor. This belt is 17/32" wide, and 38.0" long. And it fits perfectly. It rides high in the V of the pulleys, which means there will be less stress on it (basic geometry). And because it's wider and therefore stronger, it should be less prone to stretch, and require adjusting less often. And it doesn't have to be as tight to grab, meaning less stress on your bearings.
The extra length of this belt is needed because, since it rides higher in the pulleys, it has farther to go. And if you try this, you may even want to go an inch more, and get a 17390, because the 17380 was a little tight to get on.
For 4-cylinder cars, the recommended belt is 15440, so try a 17450 or a 17460.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock