Cold idle high, TCC won't lock by YelloFormula
Started on: 10-31-2006 02:53 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: 3800superfast on 11-01-2006 09:56 AM
YelloFormula

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YelloFormulaSend a Private Message to YelloFormulaDirect Link to This Post
I have an 85K Formula with auto trans. Recently, I've noticed that on cooler mornings, the car will idle down the road at 20 mph without pressing on the accelerator. The tach reads about 1500 to 1700 rpm. Possibly related, the TCC won't lock up until I've driven several miles. Once the car is warm, idle and TCC work fine. Any advice on where I should start?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by YelloFormula:

I have an 85K Formula with auto trans. Recently, I've noticed that on cooler mornings, the car will idle down the road at 20 mph without pressing on the accelerator. The tach reads about 1500 to 1700 rpm. Possibly related, the TCC won't lock up until I've driven several miles. Once the car is warm, idle and TCC work fine. Any advice on where I should start?

The engine must be in closed loop for the TCC to lockup. As far as the idle, are you getting any codes? Is it possible the tach is off? Vacumm leak?. If you are not getting any codes, I wouldn't worry about it.............Paul

YelloFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YelloFormulaSend a Private Message to YelloFormulaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, however the idle thing is new, makes driving in traffic a little unnerving. I'm not getting any codes. As far as the TCC, it sometimes doesn't lock up all the way to work (28 miles @70 mph). My gas mileage also seems low. I've owned the car for 7 years and something has definitely changed. Could this be a temp-related issue? something as simple as a thermostat (my temp gauge is unreliable, but seems to read much lower than in the past) or coolant temp sensor?
Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post

Thanks, however the idle thing is new, makes driving in traffic a little unnerving. I'm not getting any codes. As far as the TCC, it sometimes doesn't lock up all the way to work (28 miles @70 mph). My gas mileage also seems low. I've owned the car for 7 years and something has definitely changed. Could this be a temp-related issue? something as simple as a thermostat (my temp gauge is unreliable, but seems to read much lower than in the past) or coolant temp sensor?

Yes, it could be a bad/stuck thermostat............Paul
86soon3.4

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Direct Link to This Post
If it were my car I would replace the E.C.M. coolant sensor that is screwed in the intake right above the waterpump.

Steve
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2006 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post

So your basically saying that since the wheather has gotten colder--your first start of the day cold idle has gone from 1500rpms on cold start up to 1700rpms ? This is normal--but you can check your mat sensor & cts sensor readings to make sure they are both working correctly.
http://winaldl.joby.se/
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2006 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Replace your stat. If your not reaching 195 or taking a long time to get there your not getting into close loop and killing your gas mileage.
I've had that problem several times. It seems when the stats get old they float open and prevent the engine from reaching running temp.
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2006 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
This has been coming up more & more --get the 195 stock stat--you`ll save your-self some head-aches later down the road.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock