Door Glass Replacement - How to? by OldBob
Started on: 10-23-2006 08:33 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: OldBob on 10-24-2006 05:12 PM
OldBob

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2006 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OldBobSend a Private Message to OldBobDirect Link to This Post
Is there a How-To somewhere on replacing the door glass?

Several searches have found some references but mostly about drilling
out rivets etc. Some say to remove the outer skin but others say that's
not neccssary.

Thanks,

Bob

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2006 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post
http://spad.sytes.net/fiero/manuals/
go here and download the factory manual.
ken
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Basically it's like this:Remove the side door mirror,remove the door skin,buy an angle grinder $15 to $20.and grind the rivet heads COMPLETELY OFF,allow to throughlt cool.Take a punch to gently tap the rives out (if you need to support the glass use wooden blocks and old T-shirts or clothing for padding aginst the glass,when tapping the rivets out).Get replacement bolts at Home Depo,nothing too long or they can catch on the metel when the window is rolled up (take an old rivit with you to the store so you'll have an idea of what to get,you'll need something 1\4 inch longer than the rivet because you just ground the head off).They allso have large washers (optional).When finished grease the mechanical workings of the door.
David DeVoe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David DeVoeSend a Private Message to David DeVoeDirect Link to This Post
Hey old Bob, this is just a bit off topic, but are you replacing your door glass with NEW glass? And if so where did you get it and how much was it. I was quoted 325.00 for a drivers side window.
countach711

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Direct Link to This Post
i JUST HAD TO REPLACE MINE, THANKS TO VANDALS, $159 installed. Located in Colorado.... I tried pulling one at a junk yard but they closed before I was able, didn't know about the rivets. It looks like a major pain if you can afford to have someone else do it, go for it!
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
I have pulled several doors apart and I remove the rivets like this:

Using a small punch and a small hammer I tap out the center pin from the "pop rivets" that hold the glass.

These center pins are steel.

Once the pins are out I use a 1/4" drill bit and drill out the rest of the rivet, these are aluminum and a sharp bit makes short work of them.

Then lift the glass out from the top and if you have the outer skin off they can come out the bottom.

With the skin off this is a good time to clean and regrease the inner workings of the door.

Check my sig for links to outer skin removal.

P.S. Using the above method and a light hand I have yet to break glass during removal.

------------------

Where will the road take you today?

Some helpful links I've done
How to remove inner door panels, with pics.
How to remove outer door panels, with pics.
How to make rear coil-overs using factory struts, with pics.
How to remove rear bearing hubs, with pics.
How to modify the stock Fiero radio for MP3 players, with pics.

James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by David DeVoe:

Hey old Bob, this is just a bit off topic, but are you replacing your door glass with NEW glass? And if so where did you get it and how much was it. I was quoted 325.00 for a drivers side window.

From what I've heard you can get the glass new for a reasonale price,it's the installation thats expensive.Try calling around.

OldBob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OldBobSend a Private Message to OldBobDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David DeVoe:

No new glass. Taking one from a stripped parts car to put in a car with
a good interior to keep it clean & dry until a restore or part-out.

Thanks gang for the help.

Bob

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock